• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 mag with a 10 1/2" barrel and a Tasco Pro Point scope. Haven't shot it yet but looking forward to it. Anyone fired one or own one? What do you think of it?

picture.php

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    you aren't trying to take over an oil well in post-apocalyptic australia, are you?

in all seriousness, very nice gun. looks like an excellent whitetail set up if you're a hunter.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Super Blackhawk

I have one with a 7.5" bl that I competed with in metallic sil competition when I lived out in Arizona.....I competed with the stock gun with iron sights. We shot standing, a total of 40 rds 10 @ 50 yds ( steel sil. of chickens), 10 rds @ 100 yds (pigs), 10 rds @ 150 yds (turkeys), and 10 rds at 200 yds at the steel rams that weighed 55 lbs.....to score, you had to knock down the target.....I competed in this for several years and usually ran 50- 70% on the 200 yd rams.....that 240gr. bullet still had enough steam to topple a 55lb ram at that range.....I had to know my "dial up and down" for my rear sight for each range.....I have also hunted deer with the same gun and it has been deadly on deer as long as I do my part. They are good solid guns and have a lot of potential....up to the shooter to make use of it.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Mine only has the 7-1/2" barrel, but I've also taken several deer with it.

Built like a tank. Fire any factory load, no matter how "hot", with confidence.
    Handloads are always a judgement call.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My first handgun was a Super Blackhawk 44 mag. It has the 7.5 in barrel. It has had a lot of use. Shot a few deer with it. A friend shot a ground hog with it, open sites at 118 yds. It is my favorite handgun. Bought in 1986. Bought another with 5.5 in barrel in 1999. They are great guns.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Super Redhawk 44mag with 9-1/2 with a Simmons 2-6 scope. It is the sweetest shooting revolver. I also have 2 5-1/2 inch Blackhawks. Rugers are great!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have owned several over the years, I tend to like the 5.5" barrel the best. I usually take it with me on my deer hunting trips, and I take it to the range every now and then, the rest of the year it sits in my nightstand. The size of the gun and price of the ammo really limit the gun. It was made for hunting and target shooting and it excels at both.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Mine is a 7 1/2", but I love it. After having it for a few years, I almost wish I had went with a shorter barrel, though the longer pipe does help recoil with the heavy loads.

master*photog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Mooresville
    Since you have 2 - 5.5 inch Blackhawks, let me know if one is collecting dust. I'm looking for a revolver and the blackhawks are very nice!!

Thanks!

I have a Super Redhawk 44mag with 9-1/2 with a Simmons 2-6 scope. It is the sweetest shooting revolver. I also have 2 5-1/2 inch Blackhawks. Rugers are great!

tdmman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    South Central Indiana
    I had the first 10.5'' Super Blackhawk in our part of Southern Indiana. At that time (mabye still do?), Ruger used the same front sight on it as they used on the 7.5 inch barrel. That resulted in too much "air gap" when sighting it. I went back to the 7.5. This was before red dots and I don't remember seeing a scope on a handgun although I assume some were mounting them.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've got a 7 1/2" blue Super Blackhawk. Love it but the squared trigger guard beats my bird finger to death. I'm going to put my Pachmayrs back on it and see how well that helps. I had sent it back to Ruger to take care of some issues and I had put the original grips on for that process. Once I'm sure I can hold it comfortably I'll address the other issue I have. Factory 240 gr. rounds impact high at 25 yds. and the rear sight is bottomed out. Hopefully, the increased gripping ability afforded by the Pachmayrs will alter point of impact.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've got a 7 1/2" blue Super Blackhawk. Love it but the squared trigger guard beats my bird finger to death. I'm going to put my Pachmayrs back on it and see how well that helps. I had sent it back to Ruger to take care of some issues and I had put the original grips on for that process. Once I'm sure I can hold it comfortably I'll address the other issue I have. Factory 240 gr. rounds impact high at 25 yds. and the rear sight is bottomed out. Hopefully, the increased gripping ability afforded by the Pachmayrs will alter point of impact.

You beat me to it! My uncle had one (7 1/2) and that corner on the squared back of the trigger guard made life plain miserable while firing it. I suspect that the Bisley variant would be much more pleasant, but I haven't tested the theory.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have had a 7.5 inch Super Blackhawk for 20 years. Great gun, love it. Will have it till the day I die. I also have a Blackhawk in .357 and a Single Six all great guns. All built like tanks. My .44 has eaten some hot handloads with no problems at all. I have also taken several deer with it. You will love this gun!

Big Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    you aren't trying to take over an oil well in post-apocalyptic australia, are you?

in all seriousness, very nice gun. looks like an excellent whitetail set up if you're a hunter.

LOL, I forgot about it being in that movie. It seemed like a good deal and the wife encouraged the buy.

Big Ed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009

I've been looking at the Redhawks and I think I may have room for one. :D

Top Bottom