• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I simply hate rumor mongers. One time at Bass Pro, some fellow customer with wide eyes told me that Obama was going to heavily tax ammo. I told him I doubted him and he went on a rant. Frankly, he made me uncomfortable. Every time I've personally been told one of these wild rumors by a total stranger, it seems like the same type of wild eyed, heavy breathing, loud talking type. [h=1]“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear."― Edgar Allan Poe[/h]

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Isn`t it illegal to keep a list of gun purchasers? Doesn`t the ATF have to destroy their lists after a prescribed period? Otherwise, it`s a registration list suitable for confiscating.
    Supposedly they destroy (or don't keep records of) the background check information. However, FFLs are required to keep their logs (4473s, bound book) for 20 years. Fedgov maintains there's no "digital copy" at the headquarters but the paper copies that all gun shops are required to keep are there in hard copy format for, what seems like, eternity.

If you've ever seen the most American movie ever made, aka Red Dawn, you'll note the part where the Col. tells his subordinate to check the gun shop for form 4473 because it's a list of who owns guns in town. Even back in 1984 they got it. It's a shame we don't get it anymore. Especially with the NSA keeping all those records out in Utah.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Supposedly they destroy (or don't keep records of) the background check information. However, FFLs are required to keep their logs (4473s, bound book) for 20 years. Fedgov maintains there's no "digital copy" at the headquarters but the paper copies that all gun shops are required to keep are there in hard copy format for, what seems like, eternity.

If you've ever seen the most American movie ever made, aka Red Dawn, you'll note the part where the Col. tells his subordinate to check the gun shop for form 4473 because it's a list of who owns guns in town. Even back in 1984 they got it. It's a shame we don't get it anymore. Especially with the NSA keeping all those records out in Utah.

What happens to all of those 4473's that a dealer is holding for required records, if the dealer ceases to have their license (like retires, whatever)? It is my understanding that all those 4473 copies go to the feds for, well....safe keeping maybe)?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    What happens to all of those 4473's that a dealer is holding for required records, if the dealer ceases to have their license (like retires, whatever)? It is my understanding that all those 4473 copies go to the feds for, well....safe keeping maybe)?
    They do. Or, in some cases, they can be destroyed with authorization. I'll let you guess which happens most frequently.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

The 4473s are shipped to a giant cluster'd warehouse in Virginia I beleive and stored for tracing abilities on for guns used in crimes (to the original purchaser anyway, unless by luck).

The NICS system itself, most the info is wiped clean after 24 hours of final status. Then the system is wiped of everything besides NTN # and final status after a week I beleive

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many remember when if you bought a handgun Indiana , you had to complete a form for the state and a copy of it went to your local police department or sheriff? We also had "universal" background checks then and a waiting period (7 days?).

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    How many remember when if you bought a handgun Indiana , you had to complete a form for the state and a copy of it went to your local police department or sheriff? We also had "universal" background checks then and a waiting period (7 days?).
    I remember those days, and it wasn't that long ago. It was all a result of the paranoia of '68. Funny how those requirements never "solved" any problem, but the antis keep screaming for them.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    However, FFLs are required to keep their logs (4473s, bound book) for 20 years. Fedgov maintains there's no "digital copy" at the headquarters but the paper copies that all gun shops are required to keep are there in hard copy format for, what seems like, eternity.
    I wonder how large FFLs that use electronic 4473s deal with this.

The one and only time I bought a gun at Gander Mountain, the clerk had me step to a computer kiosk where I filled out the 4473 online. You suppose there's some clerk at GM corporate whose job it is to print out all of the 4473s from every GM store and put the hard copies in a binder? My guess is "no" and that the electronic 4473 remains an electronic data file just waiting for to be hacked like Target credit card records.

CombatNinja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Lafayette
    So this is what i was told by Four Guns in Lafayette. That they have to keep every record of gun purchases for a few years it was something like 5 or 7 years. The ATF could request to see the records at anytime but they have to give you notice to get everything in order for them. According to the guy at fourguns (this was several years ago by the way) it didnt matter what shape the documents were in said he would soak them all down till they were ruined then hand them over. Till them there shop flooded. As far as the larger retail places go all of there records are kept online when they do it digitaly which makes it easier for the (FEDS) to acces them. They arent required to turn them over to them automatically. And when you dobthe back ground check it dosent register that firearm it simply verifies that you can legaly poses a the firearm according to the parameters that are set.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I do remember the waiting period .....

First Handgun I bought, 1977 .....

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    You suppose there's some clerk at GM corporate whose job it is to print out all of the 4473s from every GM store and put the hard copies in a binder?
    Like all govt docs there's a push to get away from hard copies and move toward, as you implied, easily hacked electronic databases. I have no idea what Gander or others do. I suppose they'd rather have electronic layers of redundancy since there's less for their hourly employees to lose/destroy/etc.

I know most mom & pops still prefer paper because it keeps Uncle's prying eye out until he shows up. Plus it's a lot cheaper to have hourly employees add a paper to the pile than to have the corporate IT guy make sure the computer files are still up to snuff.

According to the guy at fourguns (this was several years ago by the way) it didnt matter what shape the documents were in said he would soak them all down till they were ruined then hand them over. Till them there shop flooded.
    Everybody wants to be a threeper till it's time to do threeper $#!t. Gun counter bad @$$es are a lot like keyboard commandos. "Yeah, I told that ATF dude where to stick his audit." (Insert Adam Sandler's bus driver here. "No ya didn't.")

Top Bottom