• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Dude, it's a Canik. Harden up on the gun geekery, this is INGO.
    haha

I know, I know. Unlike real life, my knowledge of handguns tends to be narrow but deep. :)

In other news, the ambassador's first flinch appears to be because shooter dude fired into the air first. Not sure what that might've been about.

Except, despite opinions to the contrary, it is difficult for most people to just shoot someone. There usually needs to be an emotional buildup to it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    haha

I know, I know. Unlike real life, my knowledge of handguns tends to be narrow but deep. :)

In other news, the ambassador's first flinch appears to be because shooter dude fired into the air first. Not sure what that might've been about.

Except, despite opinions to the contrary, it is difficult for most people to just shoot someone. There usually needs to be an emotional buildup to it.

Not unusual. It's happy fire to build courage. "I'm scared!" So, they empty the gun into the dark or whatever they are afraid of.

I see it all the time. First shot is a throw away to get the juices flowing.

Didn't you read On Killing?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Not unusual. It's happy fire to build courage. "I'm scared!" So, they empty the gun into the dark or whatever they are afraid of.

I see it all the time. First shot is a throw away to get the juices flowing.

Didn't you read On Killing?

Yeah (and once again, we're not really arguing) ;) it just seems to me like this guy's juices would've already been flowing. Given his speechification, it seems like he was already pretty jacked up. And his follow-on shot to Karlov's back appears to have been immediate. He didn't wait for him to turn around or anything.

Did you watch/find the video? It almost seemed like the "warning" shot was more to draw everyone's attention to him.

Anyway just a minor thing.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah (and once again, we're not really arguing) ;) it just seems to me like this guy's juices would've already been flowing. Given his speechification, it seems like he was already pretty jacked up. And his follow-on shot to Karlov's back appears to have been immediate. He didn't wait for him to turn around or anything.

Did you watch/find the video? It almost seemed like the "warning" shot was more to draw everyone's attention to him.

Yes, I saw it on German tv.

Just saying that a rev up shot is not uncommon. Jerry (no "jay" sound in Turkish for a boy's name) the Jihadist may be more motivated than others.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I love this channel. Just so happens he has covered this ground recently.

[video=youtube;zViyZGmBhvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zViyZGmBhvs&t=295s[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Reports that Shooter's mom, sister, and brother may also have been arrested.

At least they weren't shot.

Well. Wait. I guess I'm assuming facts not in evidence.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Look at the trigger discipline. Is this the shooter?

I had to read a few different articles and watch a video to understand that this guy was the shooter.
    I guess many people (both people in the room before the attack and journalists who saw the pictures right after) figured he was a security officer/bodyguard.
    He appears to be wearing a lapel pin as well, just like many bodyguards do.

C0DZSVnWEAASpkq.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I had to read a few different articles and watch a video to understand that this guy was the shooter.
    I guess many people (both people in the room before the attack and journalists who saw the pictures right after) figured he was a security officer/bodyguard.
    He appears to be wearing a lapel pin as well, just like many bodyguards do.

He was an officer.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Also, in looking at some pics of his demise, I give Shooter some credit: it doesn't look like he tried to take human shields or anything like that. Whatever the body count ends up at, it doesn't look like he intended to take out "innocent" people.

Looks like a pretty targeted assassination based on Russia's actions in Syria. Not really "terrorism", unless we're going to expand the definition of terrorism to include targeted assassinations. I was in Doha when the Russians used a car bomb to assassinate this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelimkhan_Yandarbiyev so I'm not terribly sure this will lead to anything major. The Russians were pretty ticked about their intel dudes being detained, tried, and alledgely tortured but it didn't come to blows. Probably, in part, to US military bases and diplomatic ties to the US...same can be said for Turkey.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Looks like a pretty targeted assassination based on Russia's actions in Syria. Not really "terrorism", unless we're going to expand the definition of terrorism to include targeted assassinations. I was in Doha when the Russians used a car bomb to assassinate this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelimkhan_Yandarbiyev so I'm not terribly sure this will lead to anything major. The Russians were pretty ticked about their intel dudes being detained, tried, and alledgely tortured but it didn't come to blows. Probably, in part, to US military bases and diplomatic ties to the US...same can be said for Turkey.
    Hey, when it comes to definitions of "terrorism" I totally get what you're saying.

Here, it would depend on whether Shooter Altintas was acting on behalf of a state, pursuant to orders, or on behalf of a terrorist group or even on his own behalf.

It does look like it is strengthening the Russian-Turkish ties near-term. Which was probably not the intended consequence.

Top Bottom