• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Regardless of our feelings of the posted drill, the question we should be asking ourselves is "could I pass it?" If you carry a gun I hope your answer is "yes".

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Regardless of our feelings of the posted drill, the question we should be asking ourselves is "could I pass it?" If you carry a gun I hope your answer is "yes".

Disagree.

These really are top-tier "operators". This is "top tier operator stuff".

Average Joe Schmoe from Greenwood honestly doesn't really need to be trained for the same kinds of things that these folks are.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Disagree.

Average Joe Schmoe from Greenwood honestly doesn't really need to be trained for the same kinds of things that these folks are.

Actually, I sorta agree with Indy Guy here. I don't really have a problem with the clip given the context, mission and level of training of the participants. On the other hand, I sure won't be asking an of my students to do this. At least not with live weapons. Airsoft or simmunitions, sure.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Disagree.

Actually, I sorta agree with Indy Guy here. I don't really have a problem with the clip given the context, mission and level of training of the participants. On the other hand, I sure won't be asking an of my students to do this. At least not with live weapons. Airsoft or simmunitions, sure.

Don't misunderstand my point. I'm not suggesting that this drill be incorporated into the NRA Basic curriculum, or that everyone should try it on their next range outing.

I'm suggesting that carrying a gun in public requires one to be able to shoot around the public. That means shooting under stress, with moving targets and backdrops, yelling and screaming, thinking and decision making, being bumped into, etc. That's what the drill is simulating. We (general "we") may scoff at the risk these guys are taking, but truth is they are training closer to reality than we are. I realize the risk:reward ratio on this drill (and other 'confidence drills') is a little lopsided for most of us, but I don't deny that those who train that way will be inherently better prepared than those who do not.

Shooting a pistol under stress isn't "top tier operator stuff"-- fast-roping from a helicopter with a carbine is.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mehhh.
    Solve a tripple integral, come up with a cool new dimensionless number with Buckingham's pi theorem, etc. while not shooting your classmates, THEN I'll be impressed.
    :):

Child's Play!

How about a closed form solution to a set of simultaneous, 3-dimensional, time-dependent partial differential equations like this little gem from fluid dynamics, the classic Navier-Stokes Equations:

c1bc01dda9035c82a846ce979a86e514.png

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Child's Play!

How about a closed form solution to a set of simultaneous, 3-dimensional, time-dependent partial differential equations like this little gem from fluid dynamics, the classic Navier-Stokes Equations:

Easy. Beer. The answer to EVERY fluid dynamics question is beer.

jason

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Delaware Co.
    Child's Play!

Is...is that english? or are you referencing some sci-fi fake math joke?

On a more serious note, parts of that video are definitely possible within the realm of something as "mundane" as home defense.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Don't misunderstand my point. I'm not suggesting that this drill be incorporated into the NRA Basic curriculum, or that everyone should try it on their next range outing.

I'm suggesting that carrying a gun in public requires one to be able to shoot around the public. That means shooting under stress, with moving targets and backdrops, yelling and screaming, thinking and decision making, being bumped into, etc. That's what the drill is simulating. We (general "we") may scoff at the risk these guys are taking, but truth is they are training closer to reality than we are. I realize the risk:reward ratio on this drill (and other 'confidence drills') is a little lopsided for most of us, but I don't deny that those who train that way will be inherently better prepared than those who do not.

Shooting a pistol under stress isn't "top tier operator stuff"-- fast-roping from a helicopter with a carbine is.

I am a nobody on the internet, but I agree with Esrice. If you think there won't be innocents/the world in general all around the bad guys when you need to use your EDC you are crazy. And that doesn't even touch adding the stress and environmental factors into the equation. I think this video is crazy, LAV said they were nuts on his show. Lol. But being able to hit your target safely and quickly is what self defense should be all about. My two cents anyways not that it matters.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I'd be curious to train under stress conditions with live barriers if I were handed some sort of paintball or simunition round. I don't see the point in live ammo. All I can do at the moment is practice basic fundamentals and save up for some more advanced classes.

Granted, they value life differently than we do but at what point does the level of investment of time and training make an individual valuable enough to not use as a prop? Perhaps they are also training trust into the meat shields?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I am a nobody on the internet, but I agree with Esrice. If you think there won't be innocents/the world in general all around the bad guys when you need to use your EDC you are crazy. And that doesn't even touch adding the stress and environmental factors into the equation. I think this video is crazy, LAV said they were nuts on his show. Lol. But being able to hit your target safely and quickly is what self defense should be all about. My two cents anyways not that it matters.

Well yea. Your point is spot on. I just don't plan on putting bulletproof vests on students and let them shoot each other. Call me crazy.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Well yea. Your point is spot on. I just don't plan on putting bulletproof vests on students and let them shoot each other. Call me crazy.

I agree, changing out the live person part for cardboard torso's sans bulletproof vests is a good call. From what I understand that level of training leads into the FOF aspect for us "normal" folks. So we don't shoot each other anyways. :)

Top Bottom