• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a blued 709 at the last Indy 1500 (almost exactly a month ago). So far I have put 200 rounds through it and cleaned througly both times, about 2 weeks ago I noticed some light surface rust and promptly cleaned it and oiled it. Last night I took it out of its holster and the most of the left had side of the slide had rust over it, After cleaning it again I noticed its pitting. I know blued finishes rust if not taken care of but this is crazy, any suggestions on how to fix it.

It has a one year finish warrenty but I dont want to be without a carry peice for 6+ weeks.

I was thinking of using a wire brush and steel wool to clean it all off then using a rust-oleum high heat clear coat enamel. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I bought a blued 709 at the last Indy 1500 (almost exactly a month ago). So far I have put 200 rounds through it and cleaned througly both times, about 2 weeks ago I noticed some light surface rust and promptly cleaned it and oiled it. Last night I took it out of its holster and the most of the left had side of the slide had rust over it, After cleaning it again I noticed its pitting. I know blued finishes rust if not taken care of but this is crazy, any suggestions on how to fix it.

It has a one year finish warrenty but I dont want to be without a carry peice for 6+ weeks.

I was thinking of using a wire brush and steel wool to clean it all off then using a rust-oleum high heat clear coat enamel. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input.

Sounds like your problem may be more along the lines of HOW and WHERE you store it.

In a case/holster? BAD idea!
    If you're storing it in a safe, I would suggest a dehumidifier.
    What is the relative humidity in your house?

koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    try some gunzilla. Welcome to WWW.GUNZILLA.COM it will take care of light surface rust, the pitting is another problem. I think if i could send it back and get it repaired for free i would try it. there are a couple guys in the business section that do some pretty neat things refinishing guns also.

Herkynut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    northeast Indiana
    Other than that...

Other than the rust issue, how do you like the PT709? I've been looking at that guy, also the new Kel-Tec 9mm pocket pistols, Ruger, and some others. Does the PT709 have some particular features you like or dislike?

Herkynut

x2bax

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love the gun, its everything I look for in a carry peice, light weight, accurate for what it is, packs a real round, and has a manual safety. Ive put 200 rounds down range with no problems and as it breaks in it keeps shooting better and better.

It is my carry gun so I normally leave it in its holster at night on my bed stand. Not sure what my humididty level is at but I dont have any control so probably pretty high. As for sending it in, I may wait untill I get my christmas bonus so I can buy a .357 snub for a back up carry before I send the slim in.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I love the gun, its everything I look for in a carry peice, light weight, accurate for what it is, packs a real round, and has a manual safety. Ive put 200 rounds down range with no problems and as it breaks in it keeps shooting better and better.

It is my carry gun so I normally leave it in its holster at night on my bed stand. Not sure what my humididty level is at but I dont have any control so probably pretty high. As for sending it in, I may wait untill I get my christmas bonus so I can buy a .357 snub for a back up carry before I send the slim in.
    Don't do that! Take it out of the holster and leave it on your bedstand by itself.
    It may or may NOT be your problem, but holsters (leather OR nylon) CAN retain moisture from your sweat, or even high humidity outside.

Also, if your humidity is TOO high, you can pick up a whole house dehumidifier for about $200 (for a small house)

If you continue top have problems with rust, consider a SS model.
    I ended up breaking down and spending the money for a total titanium .357mag snubbie (Taurus) for JUST that reason. Seems MOST everything I carry will rust, so I've gone to rust resistant, or impervious materials!

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    what oil are you using?
    i have a couple of knifes that i use and the steel just gets oiled once a month and there is no rust
    keep the gun out of the holster at night and use a silicon cloth every night on the gun try not to touch the gun after you wipe it off
    next step get a kydex holster

bblicharski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    i use flitz polish on alot of my firearms seems to work pretty well, should polish out surface rust pretty easy.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Return to sender.

+1 on not storing in a holster. Anything that retains moisture and sets against metal will cause rust. I'd send it back to Taurus, they may not be the fastest but they honor their warranty.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    City foot patrol cops used to vasoline the inside of their leather holsters to try to keep the rust problem down to a minimum. Like others have said, I never store a blued gun in a holster.

Tab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Rust on 709

Hello,
    I had a similar issue about a year ago. What I did to find a solution to the rust was trying several gun oils to check the efficacy of corrosion and rust inhibition built into these products. I do know that the acid in leather might leak in very humid condition and come in contact with the firearm. In a humid condition if your firearm is not protected with a lubricant that can prevent corrosion, you'll end up with rust spots. I tried a product that worked for me so that is the only one I use for cleaning and maintaining my firearms. You may visit the site and request a sample and try yourself. That is what I did and they were kind enough to send me a sample. I do not have that problem anymore. The website is GABRIEL PRODUCTS, INC - GABRIEL PRODUCTS, INC.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

Thanks for any input.

If you have warranty USE IT:rockwoot:

Tab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Most of the firearm lubricants out there are just crude base oils with little or no protection. Try Gabriel Products lubricants. That is all I use on all my firearms. I had the same issues you are having but now it is a thing of the past.

Tab

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2011
    Another suggestion is to use a kydex holster instead of leather. In my earlier message I did explain what happens with leather holsters in a humid environment. I think fobus makes kydex holsters for P709.
    Please, do request a sample of lubricants from Gabriel Products and try for yourself.
    Thanks

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hate to break the news to you, but I think Taurus or any other gun manufacture out there is not going to warranty a gun do to rust.

They'll specifically state that the owner did not properly maintain it.

As a few has stated, keep the 709 out of the leather holster at night, and look at using a silicone coating on the inside of the holster as a preventative.

As a note, not only is humidity a problem, but if you sweat a lot, your leather holster is going to act like a sponge and wick it right off your body.

BTW nice choice on the 709, it's a great firearm and I'm going to work into my summer carry option as soon as I find a decent holster for it.

What brand and model are you using for it?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    BTW nice choice on the 709, it's a great firearm and I'm going to work into my summer carry option as soon as I find a decent holster for it.

What brand and model are you using for it?

Try the High Noons.

Split Decision

Hidden Ally

The Split Decision has a 15-degree forward slant but the Hidden Ally is a a straight drop. I use one for my 709 and one for my G26. Excellent.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Hate to break the news to you, but I think Taurus or any other gun manufacture out there is not going to warranty a gun do to rust.

They'll specifically state that the owner did not properly maintain it.

As a few has stated, keep the 709 out of the leather holster at night, and look at using a silicone coating on the inside of the holster as a preventative.

As a note, not only is humidity a problem, but if you sweat a lot, your leather holster is going to act like a sponge and wick it right off your body.

Not true at all. I don't know about Glock's warranty, as they simply don't rust under normal conditions. However, S&W had a batch of M&P models early in their production that had some rust issues, and they fixed them free of charge under the warranty. Springfield also had early rust issues with some XD models, and replaced or refinished the slides at no cost to the owner. Simply put, modern firearms should not rust under anything but extreme conditions, such as saltwater immersion or some other such abuse.

The only gun that I've ever had rust issues with was a Taurus. But then again, I was fairly warned. It did say "Taurus" right on the slide. :):

jasonsromer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    MADISON

Thanks for any input.

I would try and contact taurus and see if they would fix it for you or not. Either way before you store it I would get some Barrel Blaster Rust Preventative Spray. I think that it its actually made to be used on muzzle loading firearms, but I use it on all of my guns that are blued. stuff works great and ive never had any problems with any of my arms rusting using this stuff.http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CVAC1681 :twocents: :) I use it after every cleaning.

Last edited:

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville

DON'T WAIT. taurus will only pay for return shipping within the first year after the gun leaves the factory.

Top Bottom