• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    City foot patrol cops used to vasoline the inside of their leather holsters to try to keep the rust problem down to a minimum. Like others have said, I never store a blued gun in a holster.

I'm a knife guy and I can tell you that Vasoline is the worse thing you can put on a knife/ blade. Vasoline will trap moisture and eventually ruin the steel. I saw the end results of what vasoline can do to a collection....a $50,000 plus knife collection that basically was worthless after storing them with vasoline on them. I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot different for a gun.

jasonsromer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    MADISON
    I'm a knife guy and I can tell you that Vasoline is the worse thing you can put on a knife/ blade. Vasoline will trap moisture and eventually ruin the steel. I saw the end results of what vasoline can do to a collection....a $50,000 plus knife collection that basically was worthless after storing them with vasoline on them. I wouldn't think it would be a whole lot different for a gun.

I agree, you have to use something that will displace moisture from the metal.:cool:

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've never had a problem with the rust on my taurii. Although I only carry my stainless model pt145. My blued 24/7 stays well oiled on the nightstand.

buckshot5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I bought a blued 709 at the last Indy 1500 (almost exactly a month ago). So far I have put 200 rounds through it and cleaned througly both times, about 2 weeks ago I noticed some light surface rust and promptly cleaned it and oiled it. Last night I took it out of its holster and the most of the left had side of the slide had rust over it, After cleaning it again I noticed its pitting. I know blued finishes rust if not taken care of but this is crazy, any suggestions on how to fix it.

It has a one year finish warrenty but I dont want to be without a carry peice for 6+ weeks.

I was thinking of using a wire brush and steel wool to clean it all off then using a rust-oleum high heat clear coat enamel. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for any input.
    u might check ur case for moisture or make sure that where u keep the gun that its not a damp place it shouldnt rust in a case unless it got wet some how

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Leather is tanned with solutions containing salts, mixed with a slight amount of moisture you get a rust problem. If you coat the inside of the holster with a solution like LPS3 the salts will be neutralized. I do this with my holsters and leave my guns in them all the time with absolutely no rust.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Not true at all. I don't know about Glock's warranty, as they simply don't rust under normal conditions. However, S&W had a batch of M&P models early in their production that had some rust issues, and they fixed them free of charge under the warranty. Springfield also had early rust issues with some XD models, and replaced or refinished the slides at no cost to the owner. Simply put, modern firearms should not rust under anything but extreme conditions, such as saltwater immersion or some other such abuse.

The only gun that I've ever had rust issues with was a Taurus. But then again, I was fairly warned. It did say "Taurus" right on the slide. :):

Last Glock I saw didn't look like it was blued, which I know they are not. x2bax stated that his Taurus it blued. Two totally different animals, or as some like to say, apples to oranges. :D I do agree though that the finish Glock uses is superior to bluing.

Top Bottom