• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I think a few zoomed out pictures, showing the entire area along with a view from the rear, would be very helpful.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I have seen this several times.
    First thing is to take it apart and if you look at the top down picture with the hammer cocked see the BLUE spring on the left side?
    That is the spring for the lock and it needs to be seated all the way in the groove in the frame. Can't really tell in the picture but some times they have a bow in them and just spinning them around will seat them. When you take it apart if the spring is sticking out and the hammer is hitting it on the way down pushing the hammer to the right, there will usually be blue paint flakes from the spring around the lock.
    Just make sure the hammer clears the spring.
    Some times the hammer just hits the frame and I clear the frame and put a shim on the outside of the hammer.
    Hitting the frame will slow the hammer down and cause misfires.
    I have had 2 guns in the shop that went back to S&W for misfires and they said nothing was found and they returned the gun to the owners. They brought them to me and this was the problem.
    The other's were guns that hadn't been fired yet or very little and were in for trigger jobs or action work and the problem was found when doing a initial inspection.
    S&W should take care of this but if they don't or you don't want to wait on them get the gun to me and I can check it out and get it fixed or you can tackle it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it.
    Good Luck

Edit: Also check that the lock flag is seated all the way the picture above it looks like it has a gap between the frame and the flag.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Edit: Also check that the lock flag is seated all the way the picture above it looks like it has a gap between the frame and the flag.

It is gapped, I wonder if the lock retaining clip has worked out somehow?
    The lock looks like it's recessed in the frame quite a bit, it should fit flush.

This "looks" like the end of the spring that's on the retaining clip, I don't think this should be visible.
    16990142362122798459935543027067.jpg

Last edited:

jerzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    North liberty
    I have seen this several times.
    First thing is to take it apart and if you look at the top down picture with the hammer cocked see the BLUE spring on the left side?
    That is the spring for the lock and it needs to be seated all the way in the groove in the frame. Can't really tell in the picture but some times they have a bow in them and just spinning them around will seat them. When you take it apart if the spring is sticking out and the hammer is hitting it on the way down pushing the hammer to the right, there will usually be blue paint flakes from the spring around the lock.
    Just make sure the hammer clears the spring.
    Some times the hammer just hits the frame and I clear the frame and put a shim on the outside of the hammer.
    Hitting the frame will slow the hammer down and cause misfires.
    I have had 2 guns in the shop that went back to S&W for misfires and they said nothing was found and they returned the gun to the owners. They brought them to me and this was the problem.
    The other's were guns that hadn't been fired yet or very little and were in for trigger jobs or action work and the problem was found when doing a initial inspection.
    S&W should take care of this but if they don't or you don't want to wait on them get the gun to me and I can check it out and get it fixed or you can tackle it yourself if you feel comfortable doing it.
    Good Luck

I was considering deleting the lock anyway. Maybe I'll just order the delete parts

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

I have installed a lot of these in customers guns but never in any of my guns as mine are all shooters and I don't care what they look like.
    You can also disable the lock by grinding the nub off of the flag but that won't help with the problem you are having.

Without seeing the gun it is hard to say that the lock is the problem but deleting it won't hurt anything except your wallet ;)
    Like I said I have seen lots(most actually) of guns with the hammer hitting the frame and the lock WASN'T the problem.

jerzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    North liberty

I have installed a lot of these in customers guns but never in any of my guns as mine are all shooters and I don't care what they look like.
    You can also disable the lock by grinding the nub off of the flag but that won't help with the problem you are having.

Without seeing the gun it is hard to say that the lock is the problem but deleting it won't hurt anything except your wallet ;)
    Like I said I have seen lots(most actually) of guns with the hammer hitting the frame and the lock WASN'T the problem.
    If it isn't the lock, what would it be?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Could be several Things but would have to see the gun to verify.
    Most likely if not the lock it is just tolerance stacking and needs frame cleared.

jerzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    North liberty
    Could be several Things but would have to see the gun to verify.
    Most likely if not the lock it is just tolerance stacking and needs frame cleared.
    Seems to me the gap between the plate on the left might not supposed to be there and the fact that it moves and the gap changes between hammer back and hammer down
    16990437184662727308828248878751.jpg 16990437793501344172592106751483.jpg
    16990438489067161670747861542690.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Sorry typing on phone.
    Frame and sideplate probably just needs cleared some but like I said need to check lock out and some other things first.
    Sorry probably nothing wrong with the frame but it is the easiest to get the needed clearance.
    The hammer might be a little oversize, the hammer stud boss could be a little high, the bolt(the part that the cylinder release attaches to) could have a burr or something under it. Lots of things to check.
    Start with the lock and if nothing shows up there then start looking at other things.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    There is a spring under the flag of the lock.
    The flag is the part that goes up and down when you turn the lock.
    The spring has a slot that it fits into the frame.
    It might be displaced if someone has had the gun apart and didn't realize it wasn't in the slot.

jerzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    North liberty
    It might be displaced if someone has had the gun apart and didn't realize it wasn't in the slot.
    I'll tear it down tonight

jerzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2023
    North liberty
    I tore it down, spring appeared to be correct, didn't see anything odd. I ordered the lock delete and a set of hammer shims. Once i put it back together i double checked the hammer. It has side play only to the right. Seems like a couple shims should take that play out of the hammer. Ordered everything from tk customs

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I tore it down, spring appeared to be correct, didn't see anything odd. I ordered the lock delete and a set of hammer shims. Once i put it back together i double checked the hammer. It has side play only to the right. Seems like a couple shims should take that play out of the hammer. Ordered everything from tk customs

I had hammer/frame rub on my Ruger Redhawk - hammer shims fixed that nicely. Hope they help you too.

Top Bottom