• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travelingman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    I am thinking of getting the S&W M&P 15-22 rimfire. I have heard a lot of good things about it and would like to know any feedback on here. The collapsible stock is a huge plus so my son can shoot it, the rails allow for lots of cool accessories, plus it looks great! Your thoughts are appreciated.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I do not own one, but I did put 200 rounds through one today and loved it! The one I was shooting has a red dot scope on it and made it awesome for shooting. It is at the top of my "next purchase list".

EDIT: It was probably close to 300 rounds. It did have a failure a few times, but nothing I would consider against it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Great gun. You can get 10 round mags from S&W website, if you want to use as 20 round AR sized mags for prone work.

If I had not purchased mine used from on here, I would have tried to get a threaded front style. I think a can would be fun on one of these.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've had mine for about 2 years, and I've got 3 friends with them, we shoot the heck out of them,

decent accuracy,

good reliability

fun, fun, fun

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    My fave salesman at Bradis talked me into one...never regretted it. im ashamed to say i like shooting my wifes gun. She likes my AR but it weighs 11 pounds fully rigged. The 22 is cheap and like above the controls are the same and it weighs next to nothing. My friends grandson shot it the other day and refused to give it back...i had to pry if out of his fingers to shoot it myself. They are a wonderful youth rifle as they will take all the AR goodies. And for giggles i loaded mine...er...my wifes...with all the rimfire/airsoft "swag" that it looks like it fell off a Marine-gone-wrong wagon. Fun to shoot and really accurate. My 10/22 bull beats it all day...but the M&P is more fun to shoot, and is good muscle memory for my full size Target 223.
    Get one..and youll not regret it.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Its a good gun. The failure were almost certainly because you were shooting bulk ammo. In my experience, bulk 22lr ammo fails to fire more than 1/100 times. I had a M&P15-22P pistol, and it was fun, but not accurate enough for me without a stock, so I sold it. I wouldn't mind getting a full size one, but the Ruger 10/22 is half the price, and has 25 around mags, so the only advantage the M&P has is the furniture.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    Get it. I love mine
    Use quality ammo. Federal, American eagle, winchester superX, dont use Rem bulk or cci stingers.

Buying a newly manufactured 15-22 will almost guarantee all the prior kinks to be worked out. If you bought one within the last 12 months, you'll be fine.

(no this is not MOE)
    maeNB.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Spend the extra money and get the MOE edition.

This is good advice. I have the MOE version. You get an MOE stock, grip, the MBUS and a QD mount integral to the receiver.

I added a Primary Arms Red Dot and have about 8 mags for it.

Great gun and mimics an almost exactly and can take many of the same accessories, better than many other dedicated AR type rimfires.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I picked one up on saturday the 14th and took it out today and put 100 rounds of Federal Lighting and 100 rounds of CCI Stingers with no problems at all. I know some guys have problems with the stingers but mine fed those flawlessly. And who doesn't love a gun that you can shoot all day long for 15-20 bucks.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Acquired one about a month ago and took it to my first Appleseed... worked perfectly for me shooting American Eagle. Have yet to have a misfire of any kind.

I also own a built up 10/22 made for precision... can't go wrong with either one!! I bought the 15-22 for $200 from a guy who owed me a favor. I had all intentions of re-selling it and making a bit of a profit, or trading it for something else... but after shooting it and using it at the Appleseed, I determined that I had room in the safe for the 15-22 and the 10/22 ;) Great rifle and yes, my little girl loves shooting it too.

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    I picked one up on saturday the 14th and took it out today and put 100 rounds of Federal Lighting and 100 rounds of CCI Stingers with no problems at all. I know some guys have problems with the stingers but mine fed those flawlessly. And who doesn't love a gun that you can shoot all day long for 15-20 bucks.

Its not a matter of problems with stingers. They will run all day long, no doubt. They will void the warranty and damage the system. They wear the parts out too fast do to higher load. It says explicitly not to use stingers/rem bulk and a few others.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I have the standard model and the manual says that it is ok to run the Stingers in the standard model. They say not to run the Stingers in the "performance center" model because it is equipped with a Laney Match chamber which will not accommodate the longer case of the Stinger

__Doc_

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Henry Co
    That is true. I'm just reporting what S&W said. Higher velocity/energy (1600+/191) vs standard 1000-1400fps/105-150 tend to wear it out more, faster.
    regardless, if you use quality ammunition in anything it'll perform better.

Top Bottom