• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Since this is relevant the the OP's question, I'll possibly open up a bag of worms and ask. What is it specifically that you like or don't like about either guns trigger?

I like the break on the M&P's trigger and to me it seems a little less heavy. The hinged trigger doesn't seem to bother me, it feels like the majority of the guns I have shot in the past. I really don't care about the reset though because I have this gun specifically as a defensive firearm and don't think I'll notice it in a high stress situation anyway.

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    That would mean the 17 would be the grande class? :):

A 4" barrel is pretty close to some manufacturer's full size guns.

I consider a 5" barrel to be a full size gun. Even the G17 and Sig P226 are a bit small in that department. A 4" is a compact though, and the 3.5" of the M&P9c is getting toward subcompact territory.

I think the Glock 19 is the perfect size for plastic carry guns. As much as I hate Glocks, I may buy another one someday. I don't know why they had to make the M&P9c the size it is.

I've actually contemplated just buying the 4.25" "full size" M&P for carry when I want to carry a double stack. It's not that much bigger than the G19 and if it wasn't uncomfortable to carry, having a full size grip, 17 rounds, and that sight radius on your carry gun would be excellent.

You like the trigger better?

You're one of the few that likes that trigger better, unless you have the Apex kit...

Count me as a 2nd. I have had Glocks in all trigger flavors and the I prefer the stock M&P trigger to all of them.

Thebarkus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Thanks

Thank you for all the feedback on these two guns. I feel better on the decision I will make in the next week.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Well as I told you many times before, I do have an M&P 9c that you can take out and thoroughly test on your day off, I also have a G19 hanging out in the safe, more than likely buried under some ammo cans just waiting for SHTF.

Sand-Dragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    LaPorte County
    I would love to say go with the Glock 19. From what several people at several gun stores have told me, Glock is falling out and the M&P is taking over. Glock has such a long, established history and I've seen a lot of Special Forces guys carry glocks in my 2 tours (Iraq and Afghanistan.) I'm not a 9mm person myself, I prefer .45 ACP. I have a Gloch 36 chambered for that round as my carry weapon, but I'm running into a situation like this with my girlfriend who wants a concealed carry weapon. I've downed my choices down to the M&P Shield or the Springfield XD9 Compact. I've heard great reviews about both....but I like the fact that the XD9 carries more rounds, with a mag extension for home defense. However she's a huge Smith and Wesson fan....I only go to Smith and Wesson for revolvers, but that's just me. I'm kind of torn....because I would like to say go for the Glock....but Smith and Wesson is made in Amerca....so part of me is leaning towards the M&P9. I guess it all comes down to mag capacity and that's where the G19 wins.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Buy both. I have both. I carry both, everyday.

But do yourself a favor and buy the Gen4 19.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I had a Glock 22 (thought the 19 was just a 9mm version of that, apparently the 19 is a bit shorter), and hated it. When i say full size, i mean standard size, full frame BTW. It was hard to aim, and being .40 caliber didn't help.

I love M&P's though. Got a 9 "regular size", and a compact, and now a 22LR. The grip feels great, aims easy but my favorite thing is the crispy trigger break. I have stock triggers on them, and no complaints. The first time I shot my compact I couldn't believe how easy it was to hit the bullseye.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    I had a Glock 22 (thought the 19 was just a 9mm version of that, apparently the 19 is a bit shorter), and hated it. When i say full size, i mean standard size, full frame BTW. It was hard to aim, and being .40 caliber didn't help.

I love M&P's though. Got a 9 "regular size", and a compact, and now a 22LR. The grip feels great, aims easy but my favorite thing is the crispy trigger break. I have stock triggers on them, and no complaints. The first time I shot my compact I couldn't believe how easy it was to hit the bullseye.

Shooting-wise, how do you like the M&P 9c versus the full size M&P9?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Grip angle, trigger feel and overall ergonomics is really just personal preference. If you happen to like one gun's look/feel/trigger better than the other then that is probably the one to go with. I've owned/shot/carried both and both guns have features that are fantastic and help make a strong case for themselves. Most come from personal preference and not one or two things that make one or the other superior.

Something to consider when choosing one or the other is what a future purchase might be. Both the Glock 19 and the M&P9c can use their full-size brother's magazines and will also fit in holsters designed for the full-size versions as well. If you would ever plan on picking up a Glock 17 or Glock 34 then the 19 might be the better bet; conversely if you like the full-size M&P9 either in 4.25 or 5" versions, then the 9c from Smith should probably be the one.

Nothing wrong with a bit of diversity in your collection and as others have said, both/either will last you lifetimes. If I were pressed I'd recommend the Glock over the M&P due to the overwhelming number of items more readily available for the Glock than the Smith. Every gunshop in America has holsters and extra mags for the Glock, any Glock, which makes them a bit easier to own.

ChevyMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    I am also looking for my first pistol so this has been great information. In looking and taking a lot of time, I am leaning toward the MP it just feels better in my hand.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I shot my first M&P Sunday and I was hooked!!! I own a gen 3 19 and before a gen 2 in 19, i love the feel of the M&P "fits real nice and snug in the hand" I love the trigger pull of the M&p vs my Glock, Im currently looking for an equal pull, the reset on the M&p was un-noticable vs my glock easssy follow up shots and very accurate.

The only draw back i have with the M&P is the grip length/size tis a bit bulkier than my glock, but the trade off is the better feel.

Im a pistol nub soooo:dunno:

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    if someone could merge the Glock trigger with the M&P ergos I would be a solid customer!

I settled on a Shield due to the lighter weight and better stock trigger. Same round count as the trusty old 1911 (with the 8round mag)and a whole lot easier on my back!

Top Bottom