• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thebarkus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Looking to purchase my first handgun for CC, any comments on either pros and cons? Any help would be great.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    They are both great guns.

Some people prefer the G19. Others prefer the m&p.

Go feel one, and pick the one with the best feel for you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I guess anything can happen once. I have to agree with lovemachine on this one.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I've had 2 different Glock 19's and 2 M&P 9c's. After going back and forth several times I finally settled back on the M&P platform. I have a 9c and a Shield, and plan to get a FS or Pro at some point.

You can't go wrong with either one of these, the G19 and the 9c are 2 of the best carry 9mm's out there. Both carry very easily with a good holster. One thing I would suggest if you decide to go with the Glock is make sure you check out the Gen4's, I think the ergo's are much better on the Gen4 as you have the option for a smaller grip.

Happy hunting!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I can vouch for OkieGirl, she likes her 9c very much. She says it's a little bit wide for a cc gun but trying to conceal anything on her little frame is a challenge. :rolleyes:

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I believe the Glock 19 carries 2 or 3 more rounds than the 9c.

I don't know how big you are but I have the Glock 23 (same size as the 19) and it is probably at the upper limits of size for a concealed carry pistol. It can be done but not as easily as some of the smaller choices. That said, they are both very versatile pistols if your body type allows them to be concealed easily.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    There seems to be some confusion between regular and compact. Probably because Glock calls there G19 compact, when it is basically full size right?

The G19 (15 rounds) is like a M&P9 (17 rounds) and the Glock 26 (10 rounds) is like the M&P9C (12 rounds).

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    G19 is between fs and compact. M&P 9c is about the equivolent. The g26 I would compare with the Shield, g17 is compared with the full size m&p. All of the above are great guns. I don't like the feel of glock so I own the full size and compact m&p. I will probably end up with a shield too. They are comparable quality, just depends what feels best. Go hold them all and try to shoot them all.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    There seems to be some confusion between regular and compact. Probably because Glock calls there G19 compact, when it is basically full size right?

The G19 (15 rounds) is like a M&P9 (17 rounds) and the Glock 26 (10 rounds) is like the M&P9C (12 rounds).

Then what do you call the Glock 17? The oversized Glock? Isn't the Glock 17 about the same size as the M&P FS? They both hold 17 rounds. The Glock 19 is smaller than the M&P FS and the Glock 26 is smaller than the M&P compact. The Glock 26 has a baseplate that can allow it to accept 2 more rounds and brings it to the same size as the M&P compact.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Personally I have the M&P 9c for these reasons;

I like the trigger better.
    I liked the ergonomics better.
    I am a skinny ass and the Glock 19 is slightly bigger, thus harder for me to conceal.

All of those are very subjective, but M&P or Glock you can't go wrong IMO.
    I have about a couple thousand rounds through my M&P compact and have had zero failures. I trust it will work when my life may depend on it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Personally I have the M&P 9c for these reasons;

I like the trigger better.
    I liked the ergonomics better.
    I am a skinny ass and the Glock 19 is slightly bigger, thus harder for me to conceal.

All of those are very subjective, but M&P or Glock you can't go wrong IMO.
    I have about a couple thousand rounds through my M&P compact and have had zero failures. I trust it will work when my life may depend on it.

You like the trigger better?

You're one of the few that likes that trigger better, unless you have the Apex kit...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There seems to be some confusion between regular and compact. Probably because Glock calls there G19 compact, when it is basically full size right? ...

I don't think of the Glock 19 as a "full size" pistol. It's significantly smaller than many other "full size" pistols like the Beretta 92, SIG P226, etc. I think of it as "medium size."

At the same time, there's no industry standard for what's "full size," "compact," or "sub-compact." My suggestion is to ignore the labels and look at the specs.

G19 - 7.36" L x 4.99" H x 1.18" W, 4.01" bbl, 21.16 oz, 15+1
    M&P9C - 6.7" L x 4.3" H x 1.2" W, 3.5" bbl, 21.7 oz, 12+1
    G26 - 6.49" L x 4.17" H x 1.18" W, 3.42" bbl, 19.75 oz, 10+1 (15, 17, 33 rounds optional w/factory mags)

In this particular case the M&P9c is a bit shorter in terms of length and height, about the same in width, and slightly heavier. It's barrel is about a 1/2" shorter and it carries 3 less rounds in stock trim than the G19. The G26 is smaller still and gives up 2 rounds in stock trim.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    You like the trigger better?

You're one of the few that likes that trigger better, unless you have the Apex kit...

Yup. I know that many like the trigger better on the Glock but maybe it's because it is one that I'm more familiar with. Nope, don't have the apex trigger on it either. I will say that when I first got the gun the trigger was a bit gritty feeling but after a couple hundred rounds it smoothed out. I don't ever plan on getting the Apex trigger either. I see it as one of those things that I would rather spend the money on ammo or training to make me a better shooter and think that will make me more accurate than the Apex trigger.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yup. I know that many like the trigger better on the Glock but maybe it's because it is one that I'm more familiar with. Nope, don't have the apex trigger on it either. I will say that when I first got the gun the trigger was a bit gritty feeling but after a couple hundred rounds it smoothed out. I don't ever plan on getting the Apex trigger either. I see it as one of those things that I would rather spend the money on ammo or training to make me a better shooter and think that will make me more accurate than the Apex trigger.

When I had my M&P9c, I had to have the Apex parts. I hated the stock trigger. And it took me a long time to get used to that hinged trigger.

I always liked the trigger better on my Glocks.

I miss the feel/grip of that M&P compared to my Glocks..

Maybe one day I'll try another M&P.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have both. In my opinion, the trigger on the Glock 19 is much better than the trigger on the M&P9c, but the ergonomics is better for me on the M&P9c. (I did wind up installing the Apex trigger kit on my M&P9c.).

It's interesting that when I bought my M&P9c, I was comparing it to the Glock 26 and a SA XD9 subcompact. I wanted something smaller that the Glock 19, but a double stack for capacity.

Really, you can't go wrong with either one. Both are good guns and popular enough where holsters and such are readily available.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I prefer the M&P but you really should hold and shoot both guns for yourself.
    Both are great quality guns, I personally hate how the Glocks shoot and feel but others love them so get a feel for yourself and make sure you feel comfortable with it.

Top Bottom