• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Base522

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Any opinions on this as a first gun and for home protection? A friend asked me about this but know know much about them. Read some online reviews and seems decent for the money but interested in opinions from others who own or have shot this gun.

Thanks.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    They are a good value. Solid guns, not as refined as the M&P line. Price point competes with the Taurus lineup. I think the Smith is a better choice.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Meh... Don't know how S&W still sells them for upwards of $300. If it had a street price of $299, then maybe.

You can get better for just a bit more money. Ruger SR9/SR9c for one.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I do have an SR9c in the safe right now. I would agree with Crispy that it is a good gun. My opinion is the Ruger SR9c is the best value out there right now. My local shop has them OTD for $439.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I shot a friends sd40 and thought I shot very nice. The trigger wasn't as bad as other people say. But not as good as a glocks trigger. The only thing I don't like is that there not a lot of accessories for the gun.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    I do have an SR9c in the safe right now. I would agree with Crispy that it is a good gun. My opinion is the Ruger SR9c is the best value out there right now. My local shop has them OTD for $439.

I agree with the vote for a SR9/cThey have soooo much more available for them aftermarket-wise, plus the trigger is WAY better out the box. For the extra $75 you get something a lot better.

Look here! Gunbroker has deals on SR9/c

Used Ruger SR9 17+1 9mm 6 MAGS! + Holster : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I was considering picking one up simply because the price cannot be beaten. Yea the trigger sucks and all, but its still a quality reliable pistol.

The only thing that turned me away, I heard a couple people say they would be embarrassed to be seen with such a cheap handgun. Got me thinking, and i opted for something a little better.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    That's just it, it is NOT THAT CHEAP compared to what you can get for just a little more. If it were $275 (NIB) or so, then I might agree with you.

One of the big Indiana dealers had the SR9c for $389 at the show.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Had one. Found the trigger serviceable with a decent break. Smith lifetime warranty. Lightweight and high capacity. Does the job.

Just because it doesn't have a ton of accessories doesn't make it a bad gun. Too many I've seen seem to look for how many parts they can change out on their guns instead of learning how to run the one they've got. The more you muck with it the higher the chance of reliability issues, IMHO.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I've read the Rugers are a good gun, btw, for not much more. However, they ARE more and also have three different ways to hang you up in a defensive situation - manual safety, magazine safety, and internal lock.

Glock touts their simplicity for a reason. Fewer things to keep you from using it when it's needed.

And from what I saw of the internals of mine it's pretty well a Glock copy for a lot less money.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    I love my sd9ve and 40 ve, add a $20 apex spring kit and you will have an amazing handgun. You can take it a step further and add an apex trigger kit. Don't listen to the gun snobs, the sdve is one the hidden gems in the beginner handgun market.

BMDRAKE71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Brownsburg,
    Not a gun snob. I actually like my Father-In-Laws pistol once I fixed his trigger where he could actually pull it with his 65 year old hands.

His is a S&W Sigma in 40S&W. He loves it now.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Any opinions on this as a first gun and for home protection? A friend asked me about this but know know much about them. Read some online reviews and seems decent for the money but interested in opinions from others who own or have shot this gun.

Thanks.

Funny you should post this..In a trade deal, I just took one of these. I have a 15 yd range in my basement, and one of my evening chores is to see how this thing prints! Trigger is not good, fit and finish seem fine. It points more naturally for me than the Glocks...Maybe I can post some pics later, if I can figure out how.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    The wife won one of these in a raffle. Only got to take it out once before things got so cold. Don't care for the trigger, but otherwise it seems like a nice gun.
    I hear good things about the Apex trigger.....I may try one.

Top Bottom