• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    imo the only reason to pocket carry is when you have to get dressed up for something (e.g. funeral, church, wedding, etc.) and you can't open carry but for those situations, instead of pocket carry, I have a tuckable leather holster for my 9mm Shield.

something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Shield-Leath...F8&qid=1504095860&sr=8-1&keywords=tuck+shield

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Barsony-Leat...id=1504096003&sr=8-9&keywords=tuckable+shield

1. I stay "dressed up" all except for Saturdays, never wear shirt tail out, except for Sat.
    2. I checked out the holster: I finally get it about there being a space to put your shirt over the gun and a little bit under the belt.
    3. I'd never seen a visual, of course I haven't hunted much either.
    4. Thanks for the input.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Since a Shield 9mm can be bought new with rebate from $225-$275 last summer and recently at Cabela it was $329 for a few minutes, ha!, b/c when others checked on the heads-up it was up to $349 and now $369 (with some goodies offered: 2 mags, ammo, and reloader) and people selling them are wanting more than those prices, so I have refused to buy one; I have been thinking about just buying one new instead of used like I prefer to do.
    (Getting my S/W 642 new at Cabela for $300 +tax spoiled me).

To complicate things, in looking a the difference between the 9mm and 45 mm Shield, on paper there was very little.
    From a 6.1 to a 6.5 in length and 19 oz. to 20.5.
    For the same money, I'm wondering if I should step up to the .45 instead of a 9 mm so as to have a different caliber, since I have 3 9mms (going to sell 1 or 2, depending).
    It does give one pause.
    If it is impossible to pocket carry both of them that is not an issue, I would just get the 45 to have a different caliber, but if the 9mm Shield can be pocket carried but not the 45 Shield, that would make a difference since I could simply sell one of the other 9mm to help pay for it.

I originally thought I'd keep 1 9mm for small pocket carry and have a larger 9 that would be better for the range but not pocket carry, but could carry on the few occasions of non-pocket carry.

After I go to the range and rent both, that will help, but my range time is being curtailed on weekends b/c of getting the house ready to sell. :laugh:

Any advice between the 2 is welcomed.
    Perhaps I should just stick with my Walther PPS, but the trigger guard was was biting into my middle finger after a box of shells and I loved the Shield 9 I rented but now I'm wondering whether to get a 45.

I've been kicking around the idea of replacing my Shield 9mm with a PPS M2. I rented one a while back and I really liked it better than the Shield. I pocket carry the shield all the time and as long as I wear comfortably loose fitting pants it doesn't print bad. If you're a skinny jeans wearing hipster it ain't gonna work for you.

If you're set on the Shield, I'd go with 9mm. I'd rather have the capacity.

IMHO, the shield is way too big for pocket carry. And between the 2, I'd go with 9mm.

Well, the 45mm version (as the title says) would be very difficult to pocket carry. But either the 9 or 45 ACP versions work in the pocket depending how tight you like your pants and how well your holster works. You beed decent sized pockets. Of course if you go pantsless, you obviously can't pocket cary. :shady:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    With the 9mm Shield only holding one round more than the .45, it made the choice of .45 easy for me. The Shield is surprisingly soft shooting to me, in fact I'd rather put a couple hundred rounds through the .45 Shield on one range trip than the same through my full size .40 M&P. That said, it really is on the large side for pocket carry and .45 ammo is more expensive than 9mm. You really can't go wrong with either option though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah. The 9mm Shield is surprisingly soft shooting for it's size. I wouldn't say it's softer shooting than my M&P Pro though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd go with the 9mm for at least 4 reasons:

1. more capacity.
    2. lower recoil = easier to deliver multiple accurate shots on target.
    3. reduced weight.
    4. lower cost ammunition.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Before we all get all giddy over the additional capacity of the 9 over the .45, it is one round difference.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I'm worried I might be giving a new "source" to an addict, but have you tried Gun.deals? $298 for a Shield 9 shipped. Pay your favorite FFL and it is yours.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188864151?view=list

(as of posting, Mr Gun Dealer has it $267.99 + $29.99 shipping or Sportsman Outdoor Superstore shows $298 with free shipping) (also, I know you like to check with a certain Armory in Carmel, but his FFL transfer prices are roughly double what I usually pay since he boosted them a couple of years ago, should be no more than $15-25 and I've seen $10 from a limited number of places)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    To the OP
    I am an Idiot so do not listen to what I say.

I am a .45 ACP guy. I buy everything .45. It is more expensive, lower capacity and heavier, But that is what I like. Had I started with 9mm, I would probably be a 9mm guy.

I do not see the desire to have another caliber just to have another caliber. If you already have three 9mm's "I" think you should go with the 9. Please don't tell any i said that.

I have been looking at the Shield .45 ported. The only thing I don't like about it is that the magazine is not compatable with a 1911.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm worried I might be giving a new "source" to an addict, but have you tried Gun.deals? $298 for a Shield 9 shipped. Pay your favorite FFL and it is yours.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188864151?view=list

(as of posting, Mr Gun Dealer has it $267.99 + $29.99 shipping or Sportsman Outdoor Superstore shows $298 with free shipping) (also, I know you like to check with a certain Armory in Carmel, but his FFL transfer prices are roughly double what I usually pay since he boosted them a couple of years ago, should be no more than $15-25 and I've seen $10 from a limited number of places)

1. I never buy new and transfer there.
    2. I haven't seen any $10 or even $20 fees when I have called around.
    3. When I bought new at Cabela they simply shipped out of WV to their Noblesville store for my convenience :laugh:: no fees.
    4. $300 with taxes and FFL fees and maybe shipping: rather by used.
    5. Thanks for the heads-up though!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    To the OP
    I am an Idiot so do not listen to what I say.

I am a .45 ACP guy. I buy everything .45. It is more expensive, lower capacity and heavier, But that is what I like. Had I started with 9mm, I would probably be a 9mm guy.

I do not see the desire to have another caliber just to have another caliber. If you already have three 9mm's "I" think you should go with the 9. Please don't tell any i said that.

I have been looking at the Shield .45 ported. The only thing I don't like about it is that the magazine is not compatable with a 1911.

1. Your input b/c of your experience is valuable to me.
    2. Loved the self-deprecating humor!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    $323 all in, still less than the prices you listed in the OP. If you can't find $25 transfers (included in that $323), I can point you to a guy in Fishers.

S/W Shield 9mm $303 with "goodies" @ Buds
    Ran across this at Bud's:
    S&W M&P9SHIELD 10035 9M 3.1 7/8R NMS

$303 and no shipping
    35 FFL
    21 taxes
    00 shipping
    $256 ish real cost

Makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing getting ready to buy a used one for $280 in 20 minutes. (getting an extra mag at least)
    Didn't see this last night, too busy looking on Cabela site.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    You aren't getting $100 off, you're getting free goodies and you'd get those same free goodies from S&W after buying from the places I listed. That $35 is still too much unless you're just really happy with that person.

jhart0990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    i pocket carry a shield from time to time. Its not to big, the biggest thing about pocket carrying is you have to understand that no one will just look down at your pockets. I have never had anyone say anything about me carrying in the pocket.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    i pocket carry a shield from time to time. Its not to big, the biggest thing about pocket carrying is you have to understand that no one will just look down at your pockets. I have never had anyone say anything about me carrying in the pocket.

Doesn't work well in pockets of knit pants. I pocket carried in a restaurant and noticed some people sitting near us were staring at my pants. I was like, WTF? Did I **** myself? I looked down and, "Oh". it was printing pretty bad. The holster kinda helped a little, but you could easily tell what it was.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    S/W Shield 9mm $303 with "goodies" @ Buds
    Ran across this at Bud's:
    S&W M&P9SHIELD 10035 9M 3.1 7/8R NMS

$303 and no shipping
    35 FFL
    21 taxes
    00 shipping
    $256 ish real cost

Makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing getting ready to buy a used one for $280 in 20 minutes. (getting an extra mag at least)
    Didn't see this last night, too busy looking on Cabela site.

You aren't getting $100 off, you're getting free goodies and you'd get those same free goodies from S&W after buying from the places I listed. That $35 is still too much unless you're just really happy with that person.
    My local gun shop charges me $20 for the transfer. They don't collect sales tax either since they are not selling me anything. If your shop is... are they really paying that to the state? they never had that gun in their inventory.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My local gun shop charges me $20 for the transfer. They don't collect sales tax either since they are not selling me anything. If your shop is... are they really paying that to the state? they never had that gun in their inventory.

1. Never transferred a gun to a shop, know nothing about who pays taxes.
    2. I need to find out about where these $10 and $20 dollar places are to use as FFLs if I should ever buy like that.
    3. It is one of the reasons I never bought an old police 38 special on any of the sites recommended, b/c of shipping and especially b/c of the FFL fees.
    4. I was glad to find a local to sell for $275.

Top Bottom