• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think USDS is still $15. And they are nice folks too!

US Defense Solutions
    5329 Mount Pleasant N. St
    Greenwood, IN 46142

Phone: 317-300-8192

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think USDS is still $15. And they are nice folks too!

US Defense Solutions
    5329 Mount Pleasant N. St
    Greenwood, IN 46142

Phone: 317-300-8192

1. Thanks for the heads-up.
    2. That is close enough to be doable for $15.
    3. Back in the late 1980s I used to go out to Mt. Comfort to look at guns from an older Gentleman that had a nice small shop there.
    4. I remember him telling the story of someone trying to break in one night and he was just waiting for him inside with a shotgun of some sorts, and fortunately for everyone, he left.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Don't know exactly where you are but plug your zip into this and see what's around.

http://www.gunbroker.com/ffl/searchforffl.aspx

Inside the 465 loop but up in the NW there's this listing,.....

Timothy Terhune
    Eris Armory
    6267 Coffman Road
    Indianapolis , IN 46268
    Email: Click here to email me

Phone: 317-679-0206
    Hours: By Appointment

Long Gun Fee: $10.00 Per Firearm
    Hand Gun Fee: $10.00 Per Firearm
    NICS Fee: $10.00 Per Instance

Looks like the typical rate in the Indy area is $25-30 with the exception of US Defense and Eris Armory. I know neither and am not making a recommendation,......my guy charges $20 up here in NW IN.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    For the size and weight of the gun, i would personally go with the 9mm. Its sufficient, and a 45 would be a noticeable amount of difference in recoil on such a small "lightweight" handgun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Confession: I bought a Shield 9mm yesterday for $280 with 3 mags (7x1 and 8x2) here on INGO from a retired law enforcement personnel.
    I have an ad for the Walther PPS M-2 LE in classifieds for $300.
    What's left for me to buy, a Glock 43? I already know I like the Shield better based on range rentals.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Don't know exactly where you are but plug your zip into this and see what's around.

Timothy Terhune
    Eris Armory
    6267 Coffman Road
    Indianapolis , IN 46268

Looks like the typical rate in the Indy area is $25-30 with the exception of US Defense and Eris Armory. I know neither and am not making a recommendation,......my guy charges $20 up here in NW IN.

Tim is a great guy and I would use him if I was in his area....he's one of the "better guys" in the business.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    For the size and weight of the gun, i would personally go with the 9mm. Its sufficient, and a 45 would be a noticeable amount of difference in recoil on such a small "lightweight" handgun.

Noticeable yes but very controllable. Have shot Federal 230 FMJ and both 230 HST and Winchester Ranger-T through it. Nice shooter.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis

Timothy Terhune
    Eris Armory
    6267 Coffman Road
    Indianapolis , IN 46268

So if I understand this correctly, the total he charges is $20? Why the split cost unless there's a tax break somewhere, I guess. It seems the cheap FFLs are far south or far west. I tried to find one around Fishers/Carmel/Noblesville northeast areas that cheap. If I lived closer, I would always go to USDS. They're great but the drive is such a pain. I use two around my area now and they charge $25 and $30. The extra $5 or $10 is not going to kill me since I can get my purchase right away.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    So if I understand this correctly, the total he charges is $20? Why the split cost unless there's a tax break somewhere, I guess. It seems the cheap FFLs are far south or far west. I tried to find one around Fishers/Carmel/Noblesville northeast areas that cheap. If I lived closer, I would always go to USDS. They're great but the drive is such a pain. I use two around my area now and they charge $25 and $30. The extra $5 or $10 is not going to kill me since I can get my purchase right away.

I think it works out to an extra $10 per item on the same order. You pick up 2 handguns from Dealer X, you pay $30.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    IMHO, the shield is way too big for pocket carry. And between the 2, I'd go with 9mm.

No offence meant, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE, I pocket carry my 9mm Shield 90%+ of the time in a Desantis pocket holster with zero issues in all kinds of pants and shorts. At 19oz there aren't many lighter 8 shot 9mm out there save for the Kel-Tec which IIRC weighs 14oz empty.

My only concern with a .45acp Shield would be controllability of such a light & small HG in 45acp, but I have never shot a truly small 45 acp HG.
    ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE my 9mm Shield, carries and shoots like a dream.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    No offence meant, but I STRONGLY DISAGREE, I pocket carry my 9mm Shield 90%+ of the time in a Desantis pocket holster with zero issues in all kinds of pants and shorts. At 19oz there aren't many lighter 8 shot 9mm out there save for the Kel-Tec which IIRC weighs 14oz empty.

My only concern with a .45acp Shield would be controllability of such a light & small HG in 45acp, but I have never shot a truly small 45 acp HG.
    ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE my 9mm Shield, carries and shoots like a dream.

To be able to pocket carry or not is not just related to the size of the firearm. It is dependent on the design of the pants and the human wearing them. For instance, the jeans I wear(Levi's 550) will not accept something as big as a pistol. The pockets are too small and too tight.

If I wear my khaki dress pants, I am "dressing" up for some reason. I don't want bulges in my pockets that aren't part of my anatomy. :)

So for me and what I wear, my Shield will NOT go into a pocket.

I could probably drop one in a cargo pocket, but I don't wear cargo pants so it's a mute point. For me.

And lastly, it would drop into a jacket pocket with ease, but if I am wearing a jacket, I'll wear my OWB holster anyway.

Glad you love your 9mm Shield. I am a big fan of mine too! I thought about checking out the new M&P 2.0 compact but when I saw a video the other day comparing it the full size M&P, it really wasn't that much smaller. I may still look at one, but I have a feeling it won't be small enough for me to make the change.

Oh, and btw, I did a little comparison between some 115 grain and 135 grain loads in the Shield this past weekend. Noticeable difference in felt recoil between the two. I will be loading 135 grain from now on! If someone would have told me the difference would be that great, I would not have believed them!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    *SNIP*
    Oh, and btw, I did a little comparison between some 115 grain and 135 grain loads in the Shield this past weekend. Noticeable difference in felt recoil between the two. I will be loading 135 grain from now on! If someone would have told me the difference would be that great, I would not have believed them!

So the 135's had less recoil? I've got a 45 Shield (haven't shot it yet, sadly) and bought some 165 grain Hydra Shok for it thinking that the lighter projectile might have less felt recoil than 230 grain. Like I said, I haven't shot it yet, but it sounds like my reasoning might not have been sound. :n00b:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So the 135's had less recoil? I've got a 45 Shield (haven't shot it yet, sadly) and bought some 165 grain Hydra Shok for it thinking that the lighter projectile might have less felt recoil than 230 grain. Like I said, I haven't shot it yet, but it sounds like my reasoning might not have been sound. :n00b:

Yes, the 135's had less recoil.

The lighter projectile is snappier than the heavier. I am just learning about all this ballistics stuff, and prefer real world testing to just the written word so I am experimenting with different bullet weights with my handguns.

I do think there are other factors and that heavier projectiles will contribute more felt recoil so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about. I can shoot 158 grain projectiles out of my Rem 35 all day long. But shooting 200 grainers are a different story.:)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    mute =/= moot
    I agree the Shield is too big for me to pocket carry. I barely get by with the P938.

Eh. Maybe you have to have the build for it. The shield fits into the pockets of most pants I have, but I admit since I've been pocket carrying the first thing I do before buying a new pair of pants I make sure the pockets are suitable.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yes, the 135's had less recoil.

The lighter projectile is snappier than the heavier. I am just learning about all this ballistics stuff, and prefer real world testing to just the written word so I am experimenting with different bullet weights with my handguns.

I do think there are other factors and that heavier projectiles will contribute more felt recoil so I won't pretend to know what I'm talking about. I can shoot 158 grain projectiles out of my Rem 35 all day long. But shooting 200 grainers are a different story.:)

Yep, I'd imagine the difference in loads would contribute too. I do have some 185 grain Hydra Shok projectiles for reloading, so maybe I can throw those into the mix of factory 165 loads and 230 grain ball and see which works best.

Top Bottom