• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm looking for a cheap, no frills 9mm auto with decent mag capacity for a gun to carry in my truck. Never for carry on my person of any kind. In my truck under my seat in a Nano case it would stay.

Gander Mountain has the S&W Sigma 9's on "sale" for $299. Now I've read countless reviews online about how they are "crap", and not worth a penny, break constantly, horrible trigger pull, etc.... I've also read a similar amount of reviews stating how all of those people are idiots and it's a "great gun" with no problems whatsoever.

Now I also realize the fact that opinions are a dime a dozen, and must be taken with a grain of salt. The gun seems as though it would fit my needs perfectly. Inexpensive, easy takedown, high mag capacity, and it shoots the cheap 9mm. I would just hate to spend a lot of money for a truck gun only to have my vehicle broken into and have it ripped off.

Have any other members of INGO had any experience with these firearms? Is this a good price for this particular gun?

I'd appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thx...

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I have the sw40ve and have had zero issues with it. sure, the trigger the trigger is long and heavy but that never really bothered me. recently I did the trigger job on mine (takes about 2 minutes and very little skill) and the trigger is a lot lighter now. $299 for a new one is good, you could probably find a used one on here for around $250.

mdeshon

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Out yander
    The S&W Sigma is a great gun and would be fine for what you want to use it for. The main reason it has mixed reviews is that the trigger pull is really grainy. After awhile you will get used to it. You can however fix the trigger problem by removing a spring from the trigger assembly and really smooths it out and takes the trigger pull down to about 7-8lbs. Check out this video it compares the Sigma to the Glock. You wont be let down by this gun.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_O_T56ZHQ[/ame]

Happy Shooting :ar15:

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I had one in .40. Trigger is a bit much, but many people reduce them. Mine SW40VE was solid, never had an issue with it. It went bang every time, never a FTF or FTE. It took a little practice before I was accurate with it. I would say that they are a good value, and a great deal for the money.

That being said, I wouldn't fall over myself to pay $300 + tax for a new one. If you look around a bit, I wouldn't be surprised if you find one in like new condition for $250 FTF no tax.

If you are willing to spend $320 or so on one, there are pistols that hold value better and are all around a better buy for around that price.

Overall, though, the sigma is a solid gun with a nice capacity for the money.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    I had the .40 version for a while. For the price, I think it's a good, solid gun. Ate everything I fed it, no failures of any kind, and felt good in the hand. It did have a longer, heavier trigger, but definitely wasn't a deal breaker.

Overall would make a great truck gun, IMO.

Scotty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Anderson
    I have a Sigma 9mm and I have never had a problem with it. I have "other" more expensive guns, but the Sigma is the one I always seem to take to the range. It's accurate and I like the feel of it. I bought mine used for $250 and now would no way take that for it...it's and great gun for the money.

Armed Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Sigma 9mm. No issues, the trigger pull is harder, practice at the range to compensate for this and you won't have any issues. I personally enjoy shooting it, breakdown is easy, fires whatever I feed it, and accurately.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have heard the same thing by some internet "experts", yet I continue to see many people bring them to the range and stand there and shoot until they run out of ammo. Some shooters actually shoot pretty good groups. Considering how inexpensive they are, they appear to be a pretty good investment. Good Luck

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I appreciate the advice!

I think I may go and check it out this week. Hold it, see how it fits my hand, check out the sights, etc.....

If all goes well I can definitely see myself taking one home with me.

Thanks INGO for helping me with my decision!

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I have had a 9MM Sigma for a few years, and have Shot Hundreds of rounds through it without a Hiccup. I love mine and will Never get rid of it because My wife bought it for me and because it has never let me down.

IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    The Sigma in 9mm was my first handgun and it was a pretty nice gun for a while. I just got tired of feeling like my trigger was Double Action Only after a while because everyone who shot it had finger fatigue at the end of the day of range.

Sold it for a Sig a few months ago and I haven't looked back.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    If you haven't done so, you may want to look into a Ruger P-series if you realize the Sigma isn't exactly what you want. The P-series pistols are great firearms, especially for the money. I love my P93, but P89s and P95s are more readily available.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I think you will be happy with the 9ve. I had one and it had no issues feeding a variety of ammo, and it was my most accurate pistol at the time. For SD, I had no issues with the trigger. I traded it for a 40ve as I wanted one .40 in my stable and decided I already had enough 9's. The .40 has been equally reliable. $299 sounds like a good deal for a new one.
    ---
    GB!

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    The S&W Sigma is a great gun and would be fine for what you want to use it for. The main reason it has mixed reviews is that the trigger pull is really grainy. After awhile you will get used to it. You can however fix the trigger problem by removing a spring from the trigger assembly and really smooths it out and takes the trigger pull down to about 7-8lbs. Check out this video it compares the Sigma to the Glock. You wont be let down by this gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_O_T56ZHQ

Happy Shooting :ar15:

This video seems to be very bias. Almost every thing he bashes the Glock for is perferance and not a true complaint.

Top Bottom