• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    According to m locksmith source, there is a device that can be attached to a mechanical lock that will open it within about 24 hours. I believe he called it a "de-locker" and it is hooked to a PC. It will continue attempting to unlock it by deciphering the combination. We had a discussion about this when I thought I wanted to convert from electronic to mechanical.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    According to m locksmith source, there is a device that can be attached to a mechanical lock that will open it within about 24 hours. I believe he called it a "de-locker" and it is hooked to a PC. It will continue attempting to unlock it by deciphering the combination. We had a discussion about this when I thought I wanted to convert from electronic to mechanical.

You could also open it in 15 minutes with a drill and a few other tools if you knew what you were doing.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    CB1000rr, I bet Keymaster will take care of you, but the dialing sequence you detailed above would not work for any UL listed dial. That's why I asked if the lock itself had a brand name on it.

Your clearing procedure is ok, but with any 3 number UL Group 2 dial that I am familiar with you will HAVE to pass the second number twice before stopping on it and pass the third number once before stopping on it. And then you will have to turn the dial again until it stops.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    And he has made no mention of turning the dial to the right to retract the bolt on the lock that allows the rest of the locking mechanism to work. Hopefully the instructions I PM'd to him will get the job done.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    It is a Sentry 14 gun safe with a combination lock.

I have cleared it by starting at 0 and then turning it left, passing the 0 at least 3 times (sometimes 4) before stopping on the first number.
    Then I turn it right, stopping on the second number after passing it once (I've also tried passing the second number twice before stopping on it)
    I then rotate the dial to the left, stopping on the final number. I haven't (yet) tried to pass the final number before stopping on it.

I have thought about the possibility of the combo being off by a number or two but I don't really know how to go about attacking that one. There are so many possible combinations when you throw in the possibility of 3 numbers being off by a digit or two.

It seems as though I'm to the point of having it drilled. Sad puppy face.

on mine I turn left several times. tben I stop on number 4 times. then turn right stoping on number 3 times ( I don't bypass at akk) then oeft 2 times stopping on numver. then right to last number. I donr bypass any numbers

Last edited:

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Don't know if you have tried this but on my safe I have to jiggle the handle as I stop on the last number, seems like it help things drop into place with the tumblers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2010
    This Safe uses a straight tail piece lock. The dialing technique is as follows:

CCW 3 times to your 1st # (passing twice and stopping on the third)
    CW 2 times to your 2nd # (passing once and stopping on the second time)
    CCW 1 time to your final number (stopping on it the first time)

Feel free to shoot us a call and I can run you through some other dialing and troubleshooting diagnostics.

260-417-1345

Jim

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    If it opened fine when it was not level at the other house, why not recreate the the previous environment and see if that works.

It was level at the previous residence, as it is now.

This Safe uses a straight tail piece lock. The dialing technique is as follows:

CCW 3 times to your 1st # (passing twice and stopping on the third)
    CW 2 times to your 2nd # (passing once and stopping on the second time)
    CCW 1 time to your final number (stopping on it the first time)

Feel free to shoot us a call and I can run you through some other dialing and troubleshooting diagnostics.

260-417-1345

Jim

Jim, Thank you for the offer. I am trying a few other things suggested by another forum member. If I am unsuccessful, I will reach out to you!

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I have the same safe, and use the procedure outline by Professional Safe and Vault above. At times, if I have trouble opening, (while on the last number) I put a bit of pressure on the opening handle, and slightly giggle the dial back and forth, which seems to line things up better, and the safe opens no problem.

If you do get it open, take the inside of the door off, and clean and lube all parts of the mechanism; it helped my safe immensely.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I think you are on the right track. A locksmith is probably needed to get it open. (but you wont like the results)

FIRST call the manufacturer if you can. Their support can probably help you work through any gotchas like "did you transport it other than upright? You had it on its left side? You arent supposed to transport them except upright, so the whatchamadoozits probably shifted. try this to dislodge it...."

Support may be able to get you fixed without a locksmith. Unfortunately every story of "I had to call a locksmith" for anything but an antique safe resulted in "Good news, I got in to get my guns. Bad news the 'smith had to drill a hole, ruining the safe.".

Definitely call support first because they can tell you whether calling a 'smith on an empty safe is actually worth picking up the phone. (I'd be surprised if it is.)

It doesn't have to be ruined. I've drilled everything from small personal home safes to US government class 6 armory safes and bank vaults and in nearly every instance they were repaired and returned to service. There is a huge difference between a truly skilled professional safe technician and a local locksmith that dabbles in safe work. And generally going with the true professional doesn't cost anymore when you factor in replacement cost of a ruined container. Unfortunately the OP has a sentry, which generally isn't a very high end container and therefore might not be worth repairing properly to return to service.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I work at a safe and lock company. I would suggest:

-make sure handle is completely in the closed position prior to entering code, my AMSEC Safe will not open if it is not.
    -make sure batteries are good, replace if not sure.
    -like said above, give it a little shake back and forth.
    -call Sentry CS.
    -the is a you tube video about resetting combo code, looks pretty easy.

if you have to call a locksmith, keep in mind it won't be cheap.

Good advice iceman. How long you been in the trade?

Top Bottom