• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    Having kids is a whole new ball game when it comes to securing your weapons. The safer the better. I live alone however, and never do much entertaining, so I have guns stashed throughout the house like I live in an action movie.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How about a whole room?

IMG_0216.jpg

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    The original poster looks like he has a meilink gibraltar series safe. Very good quality commercial grade safe. From the side view of the door it appears to be a C rate door. But hard to tell without taking the back cover off and taking a look inside. I'd yank that electronic lock off! When it fails (and it WILL FAIL!) you will be looking at a pretty significant chunk of change getting that opened and repaired. A couple hundred dollars now will get you a decent mechanical lock. Later after it fails you will be looking at a couple hundred dollars for a new mechanical lock plus opening labor that could run $275-$1000. Depending on market, features built into safe etc.

You said it was bolted to the floor. That is good. My advice would be to not use lag bolts. With enough prying lags can be pulled out unless they are drilled into a thick crossmember like a floor joist. My gun safe weighs over 1000lbs and is still bolted through the floor with carriage bolts (nuts inside safe) with 6"x6" backer plates under the subfloor.

I don't have anything real elaborate besides a quality gun safe, an 80lbs pit bull and lastly a mother in law that lives next door that never leaves. Anyone wants my stuff so bad that they are willing to run the guantlet of a big dog and mean in law they probably will have earned whatever they are capable of carrying off.

but they better be gone before I get home....

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I only have a hand me down tin can type locking cabinet. I live in an old log cabin so my cabinet has an 8" lag bolt in all four corners bolting it to the wall with 2" od fender washers inside the safe making the lag bolt head larger. The carriage bolts are a great idea. I may change out my lag bolts. But a simple pry bar or large screw driver could more then likely pry the door open. It keeps my youngin from them until I can get a better safe.

Hoosierdaddy74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Westside indpls
    For years I only had a 8 gun "cabinet" to store my guns in. I had it to keep my kids out. It didn't keep moisture out hardly at all. I just recently bought a stack on 28 gun water proof safe from menards(550lbs) for safety and to make room for future guns guns. I know nothing is safe if the thief wants it but nobody is grabbing this thing and running out with it.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I only have a hand me down tin can type locking cabinet. I live in an old log cabin so my cabinet has an 8" lag bolt in all four corners bolting it to the wall with 2" od fender washers inside the safe making the lag bolt head larger. The carriage bolts are a great idea. I may change out my lag bolts. But a simple pry bar or large screw driver could more then likely pry the door open. It keeps my youngin from them until I can get a better safe.

The fender washers were a very good idea as well. If those lags are sunk deep into old age hardened lumber they are likely anchored very well.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Most of us refrain from posting about these things on the internet. That by itself does a pretty good job of securing them.

If your security measures are up to par, posting them might actually serve as a deterent because they will go elsewhere looking for an easier target.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Anyone use those biometric safes? I've had mine for 6 plus years and use it daily with no problems only thing I've had to do was change the battery.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    So very little answers! Do you guys use the large shotgun safes you can get at tractor supply or small safes per gun, or just stash around house ? I want to hear from guys with family as that's my situation. My next home I build will have a room under the stairs(similar to what I have now) with a BANK VAULT door and reinforced concrete walls( it will be in basement) you can find vault doors all over eBay for cheap and if you planned correctly on a new home build it wouldn't be that expensive to design! That's five years out yet still!

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    I bought my remington safe from sams club prolly 15 years ago? It weights 460 pounds i remember me and my buddy puttin it in his dads s 10 then both of our 300 pounds asses gettin in the cab, the dudes at the dock were all chucking at how low that truck looked as we drove away, heh. It was hard going down the stairs to the basement.Lemme tell yah, years later it was WAAAY harder going UP those damn stairs. As i have a decent amount of guns and nephews i always say i keep my guns in a safe place, heh. Its definately a corny dad type joke. My buddy got a safe from tsc last year that is lighter, stronger, and cheaper. A safe is a good investment if you can afford one.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    No way Im posting specifics.

Im most concerned with having someone finding and using a firearm in the event of a home evasion where I am unable to naturalize the threat. Outside of that, I know it is impossible to completely secure firearms, criminals are way smarter than we give them credit for. I just keep my valuables as secure as I can, and make sure my homeowners insurance policy covers everything and is paid. Insurance will replace anything that is stolen, and the rest is SBPD's problem.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    My safe is at the bottom of a lake, can't recall which one now though...little fuzzy.
    It was a pretty nice safe too, had all my guns in it. I just come here to remind myself of what I once had. Wife won't let me own guns or boats anymore, too many accidents on the lake. Camera with all the pictures went with the last boat and safe. Damn shame.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Guns in the main safe. Carry piece in my pocket all waking hours. Within reach while sleeping.

There are stories of home invasions where the homeowner had weapons stashed around the house "just in case". He was overtaken by BG's before he could get to the one 5ft away from him.

FrankTank83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I keep my long guns in a stack-on 14 gun fireproof safe, bolted to the slab. That safe also has hinges on the outside, but I see that as a major plus because the door is removable. It makes it a lot easier for one or two guys to position the safe, without the weight of the door. Also, you are not paying random people to move it into your house. Of course it is easy to pick apart someone's security measures but we all have to make trade offs. I think the OPs setup is pretty well thought out and will work well.

scotty824

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    all of my weapons are locked up except my carry guns. but I keep my ammo in a differant lock up location. Scotty

Top Bottom