• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    My guns remain locked up away from my kids when they are not with me. Although with all the security in the world with enough time a thief will get in it or take it with them if they really want it. My main worry is my kids can't find them or get to them.

andski3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Carmel
    Anyone use those biometric safes? I've had mine for 6 plus years and use it daily with no problems only thing I've had to do was change the battery.
    I use a barska biometric safe daily and I have never had a problem. I programmed multiple fingers in multiple ways so I never have to worry about a misread, or delayed entry.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Ive always liked the idea of a room that didnt look like a room from the outside.
    The kind where when friends come to visit and they see it, they are like "Id have never guessed there was even a door there, let alone a room behind it!"

Mine stay in a nice big heavy safe.

Anytime my kids want to see any of them, all they have to do is ask.
    Its never been inconvenient, and it keeps them from trying to sneak and do it. Plus it just might get another generation interested in guns and shooting. And it keeps me ahead of the other goofs that will tell anyone who will listen, of any age, that guns are evil.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    The fender washers were a very good idea as well. If those lags are sunk deep into old age hardened lumber they are likely anchored very well.

They are defiantly age hardened. I used an 18v impact to drive the lags, after pre drilling, in and it still struggled. Lol. This place was built in the mid 1800's. those logs are as hard as rock.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Or reveal your vulnerabilities...

No vulnerabilities to expose. I have a mean and angry mother in law living next door. What on god's earth would be more of a deterent then that?

My pit bull is a sweetheart compared to her.

also, it's not like I list where I keep this safe. Hell, I don't even list my home city. And I don't post from home so there is no IP address to lead back there. The IP address I post from will lead to a Naval/Marine Corp IP address based out of Norfolk Virginia.

Plus there are added features know in the military as 'security in depth'. IDS, dogs, quality locking systems, guards (nosy mother in law), etc.

Last edited:

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    They are defiantly age hardened. I used an 18v impact to drive the lags, after pre drilling, in and it still struggled. Lol. This place was built in the mid 1800's. those logs are as hard as rock.

I'd say you are good to go then. But I've seen people anchor lags through the plywood subfloors and then end up staring at the tore up floor where their safe once had been. Not a good situation to find yourself in.

Once I saw a guy come home to a safe that was missing. It had been anchored in place on a solid concrete slab floor. Burgulars used a pickup truck and chain to rip it lose and haul it off. They also destroyed the better portion of his walk out basement wall in doing so. Nothing is 100% fail safe. But the harder you make it for them, the more messy it will get if they try.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'd say you are good to go then. But I've seen people anchor lags through the plywood subfloors and then end up staring at the tore up floor where their safe once had been. Not a good situation to find yourself in.

Once I saw a guy come home to a safe that was missing. It had been anchored in place on a solid concrete slab floor. Burgulars used a pickup truck and chain to rip it lose and haul it off. They also destroyed the better portion of his walk out basement wall in doing so. Nothing is 100% fail safe. But the harder you make it for them, the more messy it will get if they try.
    Yep. Where there's a will and time, there's a way. Make it as difficult as possible and don't make locations obvious if possible.

Some considerations I posted last year: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-considerations_for_purchasing_gun_safes.html

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    No vulnerabilities to expose. I have a mean and angry mother in law living next door. What on god's earth would be more of a deterent then that?

My pit bull is a sweetheart compared to her.

also, it's not like I list where I keep this safe. Hell, I don't even list my home city. And I don't post from home so there is no IP address to lead back there. The IP address I post from will lead to a Naval/Marine Corp IP address based out of Norfolk Virginia.

Plus there are added features know in the military as 'security in depth'. IDS, dogs, quality locking systems, guards (nosy mother in law), etc.
    You're only fooling yourself if you think that will protect you from a determined thief. A determined thief could have your address within hours even if you're posting from internet other than your own.

Assuming what you said is true if I were a determined thief I now know that I have to watch out for your MIL next door and your pitbull. I know that you're either #1 active duty and not home often or #2 civilian/contractor and most likely work normal hours so I know when you're away. If you've posted pictures of your safe I now know what model you have and what it's vulnerabilities are so I can come with the right tools and a game plan to get in very quickly. If you've done like the op and posted pictures of where it's located I know that I just have to head down the basement stairs and look under there, even if the door-way is masked/concealed I know the safe is there somewhere and I just have to break through the wall. If you've done like the OP and posted the fact that you have a security system I know that I will have to disable that before entering the house.

OPSEC is the ONLY true protection from a determined thief that is trying to target you. Security measures (as this thread is discussing) are the things that protect you from random crime.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm not going to post specifics on a public forum but I've got a handgun safe I bought off a INGO member that I keep my ammo and handguns in. I've only got one long gun at the moment and I store the bolt in the safe while using a trigger lock on the gun itself. I've got it hidden pretty well. I'm saving up for a larger long gun / handgun fire resistant safe.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I'm guessing the lock is more for unwanted "little" type family members gaining access. Otherwise the flaw with this is the hinge pins are on the out side.

I worked with a guy who thought we "needed" swipe card type security to our "server" room. Money was spent and no one but our boss had a card. The look of the faces of the office people coming in as they saw the door was not there, priceless. Yeah, the hinge pins were on the outside and I was proving a point.

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I just keep mine in my office.
    picture.php

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    You're only fooling yourself if you think that will protect you from a determined thief. A determined thief could have your address within hours even if you're posting from internet other than your own.

Assuming what you said is true if I were a determined thief I now know that I have to watch out for your MIL next door and your pitbull. I know that you're either #1 active duty and not home often or #2 civilian/contractor and most likely work normal hours so I know when you're away. If you've posted pictures of your safe I now know what model you have and what it's vulnerabilities are so I can come with the right tools and a game plan to get in very quickly. If you've done like the op and posted pictures of where it's located I know that I just have to head down the basement stairs and look under there, even if the door-way is masked/concealed I know the safe is there somewhere and I just have to break through the wall. If you've done like the OP and posted the fact that you have a security system I know that I will have to disable that before entering the house.

OPSEC is the ONLY true protection from a determined thief that is trying to target you. Security measures (as this thread is discussing) are the things that protect you from random crime.

I never posted a picture of my safe. The IDS is the biggest deterent. If you can get around that you should be knocking off art musuems. Not my house that has $1500 in weapons retail if you are lucky. I don't know who you are, but I know a thing or two about security. If you really think it's a serious threat to post security discussion maybe you have more to protect then I do. But bypassing IDS, opening vaults, etc... this isn't the movies and very few people can do the things you are discussing. You have no idea if I have hardwired phone that comes in underground. Cell phone communications. IP based communications. Etc. Way too many variables for this to be as simple as you imply.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The 8 camera Samsung CCTV will also be a problem as I get them coming or going.....

Great mines think alike. I do the same.(Cameras) I live next to the woods and I use a few game cams to check out deer and any other animal, that comes around the house. Never know what you'll see. Neighbors sneaking a dip in the pool(My). and a few other things ,I would have never new was going on, without my cams.

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I never posted a picture of my safe.
    I never said you did. I implied that if you had, I could determine the location of your safe.

The IDS is the biggest deterent. If you can get around that you should be knocking off art musuems. Not my house that has $1500 in weapons retail if you are lucky.
    I don't have to get around it. I just have to be faster than the response time.

I don't know who you are, but I know a thing or two about security. If you really think it's a serious threat to post security discussion maybe you have more to protect then I do. But bypassing IDS, opening vaults, etc...
    I have a lot to secure. Most importantly my family's "sense of security". And inviting targeted attacks by discussing your security measure on the internet and posting pictures of them as well is stupid.

this isn't the movies and very few people can do the things you are discussing.
    What part? Break in to a safe? Break in to a house? Bypass or beat IDS? Target people specifically for guns they know are present? It's done every day all over the world. As a matter of fact, I just read this morning on arfcom safes and security section of a specifically targeted attack on a gun-safe. Homeowner had house broken into a few months ago with some things stolen. Thief goes to jail, gets out on bond and goes straight back to the house with the necessary tools to pry the safe open and get the goods inside. These people were specifically targeted by a common street thug and lost. While they didn't have much in the way of layered security, the thug that defeated it also wasn't very likely a "smart criminal".

As far as breaking into safes, even good ones, quickly that happens a lot too. If you have an RSC (most "gun-safes" sold today are RSC's) it doesn't even have a security rating because it's not considered secure enough to measure the break-in time in minutes. If, OTOH, you have a real, commercial TL rated safe that cost you $5k+ you still only have minutes with a smart thief. TL-15 rated safes are rated to withstand 15 minutes of continuous attack with common hand tools (no cutting torch). Have you ever watch a test of a TL-rated safe? I have, and they aren't as robust as you think. All that safe has to do is keep them from getting a hole about the size of a basketball into the safe for 15 minutes. They use grinders, hammers, pry-bars, you name it and most of the tests I've seen have come rather close to the timeline. They've nearly breached the safe at the 15 minute mark. Most alarm companies these days don't even send a unit out right away. And assuming the PD gets the call, it's not top-priority, so if they have other runs they are busy with then your thief gets even more time to try...

You have no idea if I have hardwired phone that comes in underground. Cell phone communications. IP based communications. Etc. Way too many variables for this to be as simple as you imply.
    Depends how thorough I want to be about it. If I'm a determined criminal and I know you have high-dollar weapons at your house I will likely be willing to invest the time and planning to get them. If that means doing the research to determine what type of alarm system you have then that's what it takes. And it can be determined with the right tools.

Random attacks are just that, random, and they target people of opportunity. Your security system is designed to stop or slow-down random attacks but uneducated thieves looking for their next fix.

Targeted attacks are done with much thought and advance planning by smart people that want what you have. They come prepared with knowledge and the tools they need to do the job quickly. They likely already know how long they have to get in, get the goods, and get out. Your security system does not protect against this style of attack. Bank security systems can't even protect against those attacks all of the time. If you think this is unlikely then just keep boasting about how strong your security at your house is. I certainly hope it's never tested.

The pure fact that you have revealed that you have a security system in place already gives a thief a leg up because there will be no surprises. He knows he will have to work fast. As a matter of fact, everything you say in this thread boasting about your system gives a thief more info to break down your security system and hit it's vulnerable points. Think about it. Banks don't boast about their security for a reason. Every security system built properly with multiple layers of security still has vulnerabilities that can be picked apart by a good criminal. So keeping your security measures secret prevents them from picking it apart to find the vulnerabilities so easily.

BTW, when was the last time you took your OPSEC training? Did you actually pay attention to it?

Designer99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Lol. Op wants to discuss security, everyone dissects his setup and super paranoid CountryBoy19 gets in an argument about not posting about security online. :laugh:

INGO is non-stop entertainment.

The 8 camera Samsung CCTV will also be a problem as I get them coming or going.....

Check out some of the new DLink cameras. Once they detect motion, they start recording to your home server and shoot you a text message alert. Not bad for a $70 camera. :cool:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have a long gun safe in a discreet location of the house(no room for long pry tools that would be required to try to open it the fast way) It is bolted though the floor, and structural steel under the house, with carriage bolts. a few hundred pounds worth of guard dog, and several family members that are home all day living across the street or next door.

As far as the little one, its been a constant education and training to respect the weapons in the house. At 14, he is more responsible than many adults that I know, especially when it comes to guns and other serious matters.

gdunn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    I never said you did. I implied that if you had, I could determine the location of your safe.

I don't have to get around it. I just have to be faster than the response time.

I have a lot to secure. Most importantly my family's "sense of security". And inviting targeted attacks by discussing your security measure on the internet and posting pictures of them as well is stupid.

What part? Break in to a safe? Break in to a house? Bypass or beat IDS? Target people specifically for guns they know are present? It's done every day all over the world. As a matter of fact, I just read this morning on arfcom safes and security section of a specifically targeted attack on a gun-safe. Homeowner had house broken into a few months ago with some things stolen. Thief goes to jail, gets out on bond and goes straight back to the house with the necessary tools to pry the safe open and get the goods inside. These people were specifically targeted by a common street thug and lost. While they didn't have much in the way of layered security, the thug that defeated it also wasn't very likely a "smart criminal".

As far as breaking into safes, even good ones, quickly that happens a lot too. If you have an RSC (most "gun-safes" sold today are RSC's) it doesn't even have a security rating because it's not considered secure enough to measure the break-in time in minutes. If, OTOH, you have a real, commercial TL rated safe that cost you $5k+ you still only have minutes with a smart thief. TL-15 rated safes are rated to withstand 15 minutes of continuous attack with common hand tools (no cutting torch). Have you ever watch a test of a TL-rated safe? I have, and they aren't as robust as you think. All that safe has to do is keep them from getting a hole about the size of a basketball into the safe for 15 minutes. They use grinders, hammers, pry-bars, you name it and most of the tests I've seen have come rather close to the timeline. They've nearly breached the safe at the 15 minute mark. Most alarm companies these days don't even send a unit out right away. And assuming the PD gets the call, it's not top-priority, so if they have other runs they are busy with then your thief gets even more time to try...

Depends how thorough I want to be about it. If I'm a determined criminal and I know you have high-dollar weapons at your house I will likely be willing to invest the time and planning to get them. If that means doing the research to determine what type of alarm system you have then that's what it takes. And it can be determined with the right tools.

Random attacks are just that, random, and they target people of opportunity. Your security system is designed to stop or slow-down random attacks but uneducated thieves looking for their next fix.

Targeted attacks are done with much thought and advance planning by smart people that want what you have. They come prepared with knowledge and the tools they need to do the job quickly. They likely already know how long they have to get in, get the goods, and get out. Your security system does not protect against this style of attack. Bank security systems can't even protect against those attacks all of the time. If you think this is unlikely then just keep boasting about how strong your security at your house is. I certainly hope it's never tested.

The pure fact that you have revealed that you have a security system in place already gives a thief a leg up because there will be no surprises. He knows he will have to work fast. As a matter of fact, everything you say in this thread boasting about your system gives a thief more info to break down your security system and hit it's vulnerable points. Think about it. Banks don't boast about their security for a reason. Every security system built properly with multiple layers of security still has vulnerabilities that can be picked apart by a good criminal. So keeping your security measures secret prevents them from picking it apart to find the vulnerabilities so easily.

BTW, when was the last time you took your OPSEC training? Did you actually pay attention to it?

Those UL tests are a joke. Did you know they stop and take breaks and the attack time is only the amount of time they actually spend tool to container? They also have multiple people so when they get winded they can trade off. This isn't tag team wrestling. Response time... you are talking about someone opening a safe and unloading and clearing the sight in less then the time it takes a bored local PD to respond to anything perceived as a possible opportunity to utilize their training? I like my odds. Regardless, you don't feel like posting your measures I respect that. But seems like your repeated posts about OPSEC and slightly over the top paranoia on the subject makes you a much more likely target then I am. You seem like a person with a potentially large haul. I have 5 handguns and 2 rifles that are all current production and moderately priced. If someone broke into my house and went for the guns, I'd be releived...

It means they left my tools alone....

jkwparrott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Corydon, IN
    I'm sorry everyone, but it doesn't matter what you do. If someone wants to take your stuff they will do anything to do it.

A friend came home one day to find a huge hole in the wall of his house. Someone had broken in, wrapped a cable around his big gun safe and yanked it out through the side of the house with a truck. They could then have all the time they wanted to get it open after they hauled it off.

We do not live in bank vaults, people can break in when they want. I'm not saying that we should not lock our doors or secure our things, but in the end it does not make much difference to a person who really wants to steal it.

Top Bottom