• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Train with your EDC until every aspect of its use is 2nd nature pure muscle memory. Once committed to removing the gun and putting it into play no matter the reason all of those actions should be automatic up to bringing it to POA and then you should have decided on what's next without muddying up the process. Clear and focused as possible as the threat/stress levels rise. If you can't do this with whatever platform you choose then get busy.
    If you switch out to something different have a like/same level of involvement with that gun as well of don't switch out.
    I stay in the 1911/CZ platforms and can run either with acceptable efficiency.

Our dee has a good point but in this any striker fired piece you may find or remove from a not so lucky individual it is easy to get it running if it will. If it won't then that's why that fella was not so lucky.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I have shot a 1911 since I issued one at the tender age of 17. My memory kicks in and I automatically swipe the safety off. The training scar is I have a thumb over knuckle grip.

Striker fired or revolver too easy trigger press !

My hero the great BBI had a great video of a off duty LEO fumble with a 1911 during a robbery. If I recall he carried a P226 on duty.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Something I've really come to like is HK and Beretta style safety/decockers. Both can be carried in a holster decocked with the safety off, but both also have the option of engaging the safety. I find that handy for administrative handling (neither locks the slide) or for subpar but occasionally necessary actions like off-body carry in a bag or stashing the gun someplace like in a car temporarily. It's not an excuse to be unsafe, but it's an extra layer if ever the gun needs to be in a place other than a hard-sided carry holster. Neither styles of safety get in the way of a draw and DA trigger fire.

People carried and trained to sweep the safety on a 1911 and other pistols for, literally, a century. Especially with a modern high thumbs-forward grip, my natural instinct to stack my thumbs tight will ride the thumb up over the safety and click it off to bring the thumbs in line and pointed forward.

Moving to a striker gun from a 1911 will, at worse, lead to reflexively brushing your thumb down the blank frame of the gun. Going the other direction can definitely pose a hazard if you are otherwise conditioned to a striker trigger.

I definitely do have a problem going from DA to striker. That desire to cheat and stage the trigger on the press out can get 'cha if you try to stage a striker trigger.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'm with you, OP. If you must vary your carry, keep the manual of arms the same. Even if you switch DA/SA to striker, keep the safety (or lack) the same.

If you have a safety, train to use it. Not much will picker your orifice like pulling the trigger and nothing happens because you always leave the safety off and for some reason, it gets clicked on. I've seen it several times at the range and in matches. Heck I've done it myself with my bolt target guns that I never use the safety on.

Personally, push-up-to-fire safeties are the devil. slide mounted safeties are the devil. If I can't rest my right thumb on the safety while firing (a la 1911), it's the devil lol.
    This. I was home from college during an attempted burglary and had left my firearm at my apartment. I grabbed my dad’s 39-2 and quickly found out your fine motor skills really do go out the window when the adrenaline hits. If you want to carry a gun with a manual safety, don’t do so until disengaging it is muscle memory.

As far as alternating EDC guns, I’d prefer to carry the same firearm at all times. Unfortunately I live in a CC state, so wardrobe and destination necessitate different options. I do exactly what Russ suggested and stick to guns with the same basic platform and that I’ve trained with.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I've got a couple with safeties, one of which I wouldn't mind getting converted which is the Ruger P-95, they did make a decock only version but unfortunately mine isn't. The other is a S&W 39-2 which while not a safe queen does have sentimental value. The Ruger is carried hammer down, safety off when I do carry it which is rarely/never anymore.
    Can I ask what that method is?
    Agreed. When I used to carry on a regular basis a RugerP-95 there was a time or two I checked and the safety was on, not sure if I neglected to take it off after holstering or if it got bumped on. Either way there is a what if thinking involved.
    Ruger did make a P-95 in DAO (I have one and it shoots crazy accurate) but the frame is slightly different than a De-Cock Only P-95 so there is no conversion for a De-Cock P-95. They show up occasionally on GB but they're rare so grab one if you can!

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Practice with what you carry even if it means a lot of dry fire which should be done anyway when range time can't be done. Depending on what I'm wearing and how the climate is at the moment I carry a variety of pistols. Most common are 360 AirWeight, SP101, Shield 9mm M2.0 or Commander size 1911. I shoot them all quite regularly and have familiarized with each weapon's safety mechanisms. The Sheid and the 1911 both have manual safeties with same sweep off direction and the safeties are always on all the time even though it isn't necessary on the Shield, I do it for my piece of mind.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My #1 rule for safety is; CARRY!

If everybody carries, There will be weapons and spare ammo all around me. Now, if you are the "one weapon only" carrier that never trains on another weapon, shame on ya. I want to be able to pick up any weapon on the grey man's battle field and use it. If I have to cross Indy on foot to get home, I need an empty bag to carry what I find. Because I will not be carrying enough from the start. Sure most confrontations end in no shots fired, and that is a win in that battle, but the war is protracted. I hope to make it through life without ever needing to fire another round. However, I'll train like I can't draw from the armory without a certified card. Yous do yous and I'll do me. You shoot a Gxxxk only? Thanks. I can shoot a Gxxxk (and well). What you gonna do with my Para Ordnance Carry 12 (what da)...... Or, how'd he uncock that loaded hammerless coachgun? Why does he have a magazine when he is carrying a revolver?
    #2 rule; don't stop learning.
    While I am not saying familiarity is a bad idea, I will still continue to use two platforms and train with them repeatedly and not just under ideal conditions either. It does not take a rocket scientist to manipulate a handgun given a general knowledge of them. What it does take is an intimate familiarity with your edc.

Aside from your other points, with regards to a Gray Man environment I would question realistically how many would actually survive?

Given the push to concentrate people in urban areas where resources are scarce is a recipe for disaster. Given the fact many do not have more than 2 days of food in their home and a total lack of planning. Again this will not turn out well for any of them.

If you look at some of the things that are happening there are clear indications of a larger plan that is being trying to be put in place behind the curtain.

If one looks at High fuel cost, already leading to shortages in some stages of the world. High food cost along with supply chain issues. Then let’s look at denying health care based on a quasi vaccine status. All one needs to do is look at these events objectively and you can see the end game here. Fortunately there are a few things standing in the way of their desire for a centralized state.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    My only variations is..Goverment Commander or officers. I totaly get the no safety concept but the gun i shoot the best and the most accurate (for me)
    Is a 1911. And it comes with a safety or 2. I have practiced the draw so much that it just comes naturally. When my hand grips the gun my thumb is on the safety without even thinking. And I can ring steel from 25 yards all day long. Rarely missing.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I am hesitant to say this..... I have shot a Gxxxk and hit more Xs than with my 1911 using the sights on both. I do shoot 1911 way better without using the sights. I quit owning striker fire weapons. If I'm not hauling a 1911 syle it's a revolver. How many will cross Indy on foot and survive when the end is near? I'd guess less than 0.01%, and I'm being generous. How many know the tunnels?
    1657984969275.png
    1657985077418.png
    1657985398743.png
    I used to drive through the last one.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I have shot a 1911 since I issued one at the tender age of 17. My memory kicks in and I automatically swipe the safety off. The training scar is I have a thumb over knuckle grip.

Striker fired or revolver too easy trigger press !

My hero the great BBI had a great video of a off duty LEO fumble with a 1911 during a robbery. If I recall he carried a P226 on duty.
    My trainers 1st ones at 12 years old) were military and I had that same grip until the ingo people I met helped me into 2 thumbs downrange grip.
    I can hit either way but groups etc. are better with 2 DR.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I am hesitant to say this..... I have shot a Gxxxk and hit more Xs than with my 1911 using the sights on both. I do shoot 1911 way better without using the sights. I quit owning striker fire weapons. If I'm not hauling a 1911 syle it's a revolver. How many will cross Indy on foot and survive when the end is near? I'd guess less than 0.01%, and I'm being generous. How many know the tunnels?
    View attachment 211636
    View attachment 211637
    View attachment 211641
    I used to drive through the last one.
    You should teach us about the tunnels.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Ruger did make a P-95 in DAO (I have one and it shoots crazy accurate) but the frame is slightly different than a De-Cock Only P-95 so there is no conversion for a De-Cock P-95. They show up occasionally on GB but they're rare so grab one if you can!
    Yeah the DAO are pretty rare, but they made the DA/SA in both the decock/safety and decock only. The DAO has neither I believe. Is the frame different between the two DA/SA as well do you know?

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yeah the DAO are pretty rare, but they made the DA/SA in both the decock/safety and decock only. The DAO has neither I believe. Is the frame different between the two DA/SA as well do you know?
    Having owned several P-95's in DAO / Decock Only and Decock/Safety, the frame for the DA/SA, whether de-cocker only or de-cocker/safety, are the same...it's only when it's a DAO is the frame different as I've found them to be. I'm at the point where I only acquire DAO P-Series pistols, same for Beretta.

Top Bottom