• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    First carry gun was a S&W 469, with safety. Also the last I owned with a safety. Went with the Ruger P-series long ago, SA/DA decockers only, no safeties. Anything I carry or have carried - Ruger P93DC, P94DC, P95DC, Kahr CW9 and CM9, Sig P365 and 365XL - has no safety.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I used to feel uncomfortable with the idea of no safety on a carry gun until I had the V-8 moment.

Exactly zero of the revolvers I owned had safeties.

Now a DA/SA with decocker is preferred in semi, revolvers still doing revolver things.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I always use the safeties on everything I own except a double barrel shotgun that has the auto safety dis engaged so I can apply it when needed, not on its own. Same reasoning with auto headlights on cars. I have seen many 1911 shooters and students show up that tape their grip safety Down cause they have trouble holding the gun right. Also saw some thumb safeties modified by basement gunsmiths that were fitted so loose, they wobbled in the wind or engaged and Unengaged on their own. A saftey is a double edged sword, it can kill you when you don’t use it, or get you kilt if you don’t use it right.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Safety is not a device.

Safety is a mindset.

so true indeed. This morning at the range we noticed a member taking all the pre cautions. Using a G19 with his SCD, retention apparatus on his Blackhawk, $300 Oakleys, plugs and muffs, cleaning the plate rack and various steel IPSC targets. No doubt, very safety mindsetted until the common sense ran out, as he was within 4 feet of the targets. Go figure.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I prefer DA/SA handguns without a manual safety. Next would be DAO without a manual safety.

In fact, I think the only handgun I have with a manual safety is a Walther P22 that my wife really likes. And they designed the safety on that thing backwards.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    No manual safety on my carry gun. Not because I am opposed to them. My thumbs cannot reach a manual safety without changing my grip. Not a good thing to have to do if the time comes when non-range use of a firearm is necessary.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Well the initial compromise on bringing a gun into the house for the wife was that it had a safety. All guns are cocked and locked with safety on so never need to remember which action I am dealing with.

TolusD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2020
    Dream World
    I only have 1 gun without a safety and it's my competition pistol. The way I see it, I'm not buying a car without seatbelts or airbags and I'm not buying a gun without a safety. I like my testicles the way they are. I don't need Glock Nuts. The whole "safety's up here" argument applies to everything in life and I'm old enough to know very well that "it was safe up here your honor" isn't a viable defense to a ND.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Most frequent EDC is no safety, but that was more an aspect of the design to get to a particular optimal size and capacity for concealment where no safety was not a deal breaker in the balance of trade-offs. Reliability is top criteria not subject to trade-offs.

The current HK hammer-fired pistol lines like the P30 are an interesting case for a clear personal decision on with or without, because an otherwise identical pistol can be had with or without manual safety. On the HK 45C having the safety seems like the best of both worlds, double action hammer down safety off, or cocked and locked like a 1911 with the same fast downward sweep to take safety off also like the 1911.

Top Bottom