• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Youve picked a good time to look at the Saiga 12's .... they are hovering around $600 now as opposed to a thousand a couple months ago

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Skip the rail system, grab a conversion package from Carolina Shooters Supply and your good to go for just about anything you'd want to use a 12ga to do.:twocents:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Ive handled the 12k, and it is a tool of destruction. I am not saying that its bad, because its a good shooter. I saw a shop in Martinsville running a special for one with a 10 round box mag and a 5 rd mag for about 600 (650 after paperwork and out the door), although that was about 6 weeks back so I am unsure about the price for the shop anymore.

My suggestion is to find a range that offers one to rent, or find someone on here that has one and would let you shoot it, prior to going out and purchasing one.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I really wanted a Saiga until I touched one. The idea really appealed to me: the AK platform shooting shotshells. Who could ask for more destruction? When I handled a Saiga in a store, however, I started having second thoughts. The craftsmanship, or perhaps more properly speaking, the functionality, was the first thing to strike me. It was the opposite of those Beretta fine guns. It wasn't made to feel nice, to make you stroke its finely machined parts on those cold winter nights. It was made to work, and no more. It seemed like it would be clunky to operate. The gun also felt clumsy to maneuver. I didn't shoot it, so maybe that will make me fall in love with it. However, I did become hesitant about investing $600 + perhaps almost as much money for conversion work.

I am no expert, but from my experience, it seems like a good idea for you to handle and shoot a Saiga 12 before buying one. Something you like in internet photos may not engender the same feelings in your hands.

There is a shotgun built on the AR platform. You might want to consider that as well.

Da Bing

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    So if we are mechanically inept who would you reccommend doing the conversion? Or what are our options.

You, a dremel, the saiga 12 forum and youtube. It's very easy to do. As someone mentioned, Carolina Shooters has a conversion package, it's pretty easy to do. Grab a can of krylon that is used to paint a bar-b-q grill for your touch up around the trigger guard and you save a pocket full of money.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Skip the rail system, grab a conversion package from Carolina Shooters Supply and your good to go for just about anything you'd want to use a 12ga to do.:twocents:

Carolina shooter is by far the best I have found for a saiga 12 conversion. Affordable and they have some excellent youtube videos that walk you through a conversion.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I really wanted a Saiga until I touched one. The idea really appealed to me: the AK platform shooting shotshells. Who could ask for more destruction? When I handled a Saiga in a store, however, I started having second thoughts. The craftsmanship, or perhaps more properly speaking, the functionality, was the first thing to strike me. It was the opposite of those Beretta fine guns. It wasn't made to feel nice, to make you stroke its finely machined parts on those cold winter nights. It was made to work, and no more. It seemed like it would be clunky to operate. The gun also felt clumsy to maneuver. I didn't shoot it, so maybe that will make me fall in love with it. However, I did become hesitant about investing $600 + perhaps almost as much money for conversion work.

I am no expert, but from my experience, it seems like a good idea for you to handle and shoot a Saiga 12 before buying one. Something you like in internet photos may not engender the same feelings in your hands.

There is a shotgun built on the AR platform. You might want to consider that as well.

Da Bing

Have to agree with you sir big +1. Ordered 2 saiga 12's handled them and didn't like the feel. Converted them and still felt like a retarded AK. Just not my cup of tea. Excellent weapon if you appreciate it, but I stuck with the AR's. Best advice yet handle one. Bradis has them in stock regularly in the 24 and 19 lengths if you get a chance handle one either you love them or hate them.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Have to agree with you sir big +1. Ordered 2 saiga 12's handled them and didn't like the feel. Converted them and still felt like a retarded AK. Just not my cup of tea. Excellent weapon if you appreciate it, but I stuck with the AR's. Best advice yet handle one. Bradis has them in stock regularly in the 24 and 19 lengths if you get a chance handle one either you love them or hate them.

Thanks, Sigasaurus. Let me send you +1 to you, too! I do have to say I still think about getting a Saiga 12 weekly, if not daily. At the end, I suspect it's will be just a pipe dream. Like a previous poster said, most shotgun training is for non-Saiga varieties, and training matters.

Da Bing

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Thanks, Sigasaurus. Let me send you +1 to you, too! I do have to say I still think about getting a Saiga 12 weekly, if not daily. At the end, I suspect it's will be just a pipe dream. Like a previous poster said, most shotgun training is for non-Saiga varieties, and training matters.

Da Bing

Liked the mk1919, built from an m16 concept. Not any conversions, but I kind of feel if you want a semi shotty then this is the best weapon available to civilians. Now if I could handle a aa12 might have a new favorite. Although the kel-tec bullpup shotty looks pretty interesting.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    Honestly I wrapped up 1200 in 2 saigas, plus 250 I spent a piece for conversions and stocks, and now I have nothing to show for them except 2 new AR's I built with the money I sold them for. I felt as if they were cheap and poorly constructed. Saigas are like comparing an arsenal AK to a CIA in firearm quality in my the book. I am not talking down on the saiga thunder, I just expected more with all the hype. I think they are all just a lot of hoopla. In my opinion I think somebody is better off utilizing their energy and funds on a quality AR build.:twocents:

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Honestly I wrapped up 1200 in 2 saigas, plus 250 I spent a piece for conversions and stocks, and now I have nothing to show for them except 2 new AR's I built with the money I sold them for. I felt as if they were cheap and poorly constructed. Saigas are like comparing an arsenal AK to a CIA in firearm quality in my the book. I am not talking down on the saiga thunder, I just expected more with all the hype. I think they are all just a lot of hoopla. In my opinion I think somebody is better off utilizing their energy and funds on a quality AR build.:twocents:

You do realize that Arsenal builds originate as Saiga's right? :dunno:

Top Bottom