• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what is converting a saiga? sorry im clueless. lol but ive heard everyone talking about that

A saiga rifle is basically an AK that is built in Russia and imported into the United States in "Sporting" configuration.

Sporting looks like this:

p_saiga.21134310_std.jpg

A "Converted" Saiga is just a Saiga rifle that has been returned to it's EVIL AK configuration. I.E. Trigger has been moved forward, butt stock has been replaced, and maybe the owner has installed a two-piece handgaurd, muzzle break, and etc.

This is my "converted" Saiga.

FSB5.png

It started life looking just like the picture I posted first.

Saiga rifles come in all kinds of calibers (.223, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 12 gauge, .410, and etc). So a Saiga 12, or S12, when converted - is essentially a 12 gauge AK.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Honestly I wrapped up 1200 in 2 saigas, plus 250 I spent a piece for conversions and stocks, and now I have nothing to show for them except 2 new AR's I built with the money I sold them for. I felt as if they were cheap and poorly constructed. Saigas are like comparing an arsenal AK to a CIA in firearm quality in my the book. I am not talking down on the saiga thunder, I just expected more with all the hype. I think they are all just a lot of hoopla. In my opinion I think somebody is better off utilizing their energy and funds on a quality AR build.:twocents:

An arsenal IS a saiga. It's just been converted for you with a bullet guide. What mr jag has is the same as an arsenal saiga only he did it himself. I think arsenals are great, but you can make an "arsenal saiga" cheaper on your own. About 2 years ago you could get an sgl21 for 520$ which made it a better option to just buy an arsenal.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    An arsenal IS a saiga. It's just been converted for you with a bullet guide. What mr jag has is the same as an arsenal saiga only he did it himself. I think arsenals are great, but you can make an "arsenal saiga" cheaper on your own. About 2 years ago you could get an sgl21 for 520$ which made it a better option to just buy an arsenal.

I really don't want to rip on Sigasaurus, but if he truly believes a Saiga is as poorly made as a CAI I just don't know what to tell him. He has apparently owned 2 saigas that he converted himself and claims they were poorly constructed. Seeing as how he spent 250 bucks total and did the work himself I have to ride on the assumption that they may have been poorly constructed but by no fault of their own. Most likely he spent money on cheap Tapco products and ended up disappointed. I did the same on my first Saiga build and quickly spent more money to get quality parts made by companies like K-var and such.

I do, however, understand when people the claim that the S12 feels sub-par in it's stock form because it really does. The butt stock, hand guard, and trigger group really are just garbage from the factory. The thing is though, all those parts are the ones you have to replace when doing the conversion. It leads me to believe that these guns truly are manufactured with the assumption that they will be converted. So to save time and cost, they just put el-cheapo parts on there that they know will be replaced.

Either way, the S12 is a slightly different animal than the rifle caliber Saigas... I've got 2 converted Saiga rifles that I would put up against an Arsenal any day. Tradertator has a bad ass S12 that I absolutely HATED until he finished the conversion... after the conversion I really wish I could steal it from him. It's all about how well the conversion was done and the quality of parts used.

Last edited:

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Youve picked a good time to look at the Saiga 12's .... they are hovering around $600 now as opposed to a thousand a couple months ago

Not realy. Back when they were first being imported a few years ago they were $300. I bought a Saiga 20 for $200.

Still kicking myself, repeatedly, for not buying a 12.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    So if we are mechanically inept who would you reccommend doing the conversion? Or what are our options.

I would be the first to suggest that you do it yourself. That said, if you REALLY don't feel like you can - you can buy one from a professional builder for big $. Or you can buy one here on INGO from time to time.

Ocelot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    Bloomington
    I was told that I need to buy one of these Saiga 12, I really want one.

They are so much cheaper now. Made by arsenal. You can find on atlantic firearms. Site.

I am getting saved up. I really want one from Red Jacket but I'd just be buying it for name!

Top Bottom