• ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    This begs the question...
    Can a gun that has never been unholstered or even mentioned be considered "improper or reckless use" as stated on the LTCH?

The argument could be proposed by the LEO but I HIGHLY doubt that anything would come of it. I had an incident that I posted where the LEO tried to make it out that I was being reckless etc when I was OC but never touched the firearm. Seems that this is a battle that is raging in WI right now though.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You handled it better than I would have. I would have probably been in cuffs for my sarcastic remarks. :D

"I don’t appreciate you people coming in here acting like John Dillenger”

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was at a bank" :D
    ---

Seriously though, that was harassment, plain and simple. I would love to see what our resident LEOs have to say about this.

beclende

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    West of town
    Great letter, I hope you get the apology that you are due. It's a shame that things like this happen to good law abiding citizens. :+1: for keeping your cool and being a good example of a responsible gun owner.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    This begs the question...
    Can a gun that has never been unholstered or even mentioned be considered "improper or reckless use" as stated on the LTCH?

I believe that the phrase has been intentionally kept ambiguous, in keeping with the changing political and subjective tides that reoccur.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't know enough about St. John to even think about it. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

How about we hold the line and see what the St. John Commission says before we go "all cRaZy". :D

What I think we really need up here (NWI) is a semi formal citizens group that goes around to the various PDs and porvide a breif presentation on the IN gun laws and how more people have applied for LTCH and OC/CC in IN. In essense us provided the education for the officers.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you want the letter to have a BIG efffect

send it to the editorial division of several regional newspapers.

Nothing like bad press to "motivate" elected members of law enforcement or politicians to all-of-a-sudden want to sit down, have a beer, and just "work this all out."

Again, I would wait and see what kind of effect the letter to the commission has before upping the ante.

Just an option.

Vanguard.45

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Nice letter, hopefully they will respond to you fast because im anxious to hear what they have to say! Hopefully that LEO gets off his powertrip in the near future..

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I drive through there quite regularly - it's the town next to me.

St. John has their OWN town traffic court, hence the increased tickets for minor infractions. The town determines if the ticket is resonable or not, so they have no fear of getting a "3 over" thrown out.

I don't know any of the police personally, so I can't speak to the general attitude about armed citizens.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm all for the educational approach jediagh came up with but I believe for such a program to be feasable and in the end successful it would have to be spearheaded by one of thier own rather than one of us atleast in the local LEO's viewpoint. Maybe someone could approach the Highland Officer that had researched the OC issue and we could support him holding some educational classes for LEO's to attend... Just a thought...

To the OP, good luck, hope you the best... Sounds more like a power spat on the part of the Town... maybe a bad day, regardless the Chief should investigate and remedy the incident before you bring it too all the local newspapers and radio stations for general review....

PS: There was a shoot out in St John many moons ago... It involved a "assault weapon" a person who was suicidal and many rounds expended in the K mart located on US 41 in St. John, I think that was one of two fatal incidents in thier town that involved firearms to my knowledge. The officers do carry AR's and Mini-14's etc in thier squads since that incident.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Cliff Notes

The cast:

Daughter in law (S)

Y, whom (S) is living with

OP and his wife

The location:

Y's house

The time:

11:50 PM

The story:

S wasn't allowed into Y's house, and was told to find somewhere else to live.

Y was not allowing S into the home to retreive personal effects.

The OP and his wife, along with S - arrive at Y's house and ask for the personal effects.

OP and wife are carrying, most likely openly or lightly concealed based on the description.

Y allows access to the home to S.

OP attempts to enter the home, he is denied access by Y and asked to leave.

OP and wife go to their vehicle.

An unknown, apparently in the Y home, advises Y to contact the police.

The OP's reaction to hearing this is to get out their LTCH.

LEO's arrive and ask where and who has the firearms.

LEO's ask why they have the firearms.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Commentary:

You open/visibly carried in to a "domestic situation" at MIDNIGHT.

There is a good deal of wisdom in the advise, "Be the first one to call 911".

Newbomb92

Expert
    Rating - 88.5%
    23   3   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I grew up in St John. The cops are rough there, they would pull me over because I'd "display excessive acceleration". I argued with one (whom I knew his Uncle) that I did not burnout, in fact I would bet him my car there were no treadmarks to match my tires. He didn't care. My family nor I live in St John anymore, and never will. It is a very political and one-sided town.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Cliff Notes

The cast:

Daughter in law (S)

Y, whom (S) is living with

OP and his wife

The location:

Y's house

The time:

11:50 PM

The story:

S wasn't allowed into Y's house, and was told to find somewhere else to live.

Y was not allowing S into the home to retreive personal effects.

The OP and his wife, along with S - arrive at Y's house and ask for the personal effects.

OP and wife are carrying, most likely openly or lightly concealed based on the description.

Y allows access to the home to S.

OP attempts to enter the home, he is denied access by Y and asked to leave.

OP and wife go to their vehicle.

An unknown, apparently in the Y home, advises Y to contact the police.

The OP's reaction to hearing this is to get out their LTCH.

LEO's arrive and ask where and who has the firearms.

LEO's ask why they have the firearms.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Commentary:

You open/visibly carried in to a "domestic situation" at MIDNIGHT.

There is a good deal of wisdom in the advise, "Be the first one to call 911".

So, correct me if I am wrong, but I gathered from the part of the story where the LEO had to ask both of them WHERE their guns were, that they weren't OCing. :dunno:

Personally, I carry all the time, so I am not sure what relevance where, when, or what situation has to this story. Is MIDNIGHT a magic time where gun owners are supposed to not carry because their guns turn into pumpkins? :D

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    How about we hold the line and see what the St. John Commission says before we go "all cRaZy". :D

What I think we really need up here (NWI) is a semi formal citizens group that goes around to the various PDs and porvide a breif presentation on the IN gun laws and how more people have applied for LTCH and OC/CC in IN. In essense us provided the education for the officers.

I agree and im up for it. i live in cedarlake and im in saint john all the time. I ran from illinois to get away from this kinda crap.:ingo:

MagillaG67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I lived in Illinois & moved to St John 9 years ago. Finally applied for my license this past March. Everyone at the PD was extremely polite. After the finger printing, the officer smiled, held the door for me & said "Have a good day" --short pause--"Go get em" It made me laugh.

Top Bottom