Sandpaper versus rubber for improving grips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    Sounds stupid, but I have used a cut inner tube on several of my guns. Cheep, fits tight and adds some grip. then cut some thinner strips to make ranger bands.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    "Skate-board" tape is my way. Bought a 25' roll years ago for like $10, have covered over a dozen pistol grips throughout the years with it. Originally started using a Hogue slip-on grip for my Glocks, but found it too fat for a comfortable grip. As far as problems with abrasive tape wearing on my clothes or against my skin... no problems. If it did wear against my skin or shirt..., well that's the price I pay for a positive grip surface when having sweaty hands or otherwise wet. ;)

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Thanks for the responses. On one pistol I've got Rogue grip sleeve slipped on, and it does a pretty alright job but it does need re-positioned from time to time. It does add some thickness to the grip and has a palm swell, which some may or may not like.

The piece I have that prompted me to create this thread is a new carry gun recruit. I'm hesitant to put anything on it that may be a PITA to remove or require me to use a cleaner/chemical to get the gunk off, but am thinking about getting the Talon rubberized grip. I may try the sandpaper grip on something I don't carry, as my hands can indeed get sweaty.

Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    Has anyone tried the Pachmayr Tactial grips?

Also, on the adhesive type grips such as Talon or anti-skid tape, etc., can any of you Glock gen 4 users tell me how well they adhere to the grip of the gun? How long do they normally last before you have to reapply them?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Skate board tape is to ruff and its for skate boards where you use ur feet not ur hands... I use Talon granulated its great , you can scuff off some of the texture if you like, for a bit smoother feel but I like it as it comes... I got it on my Glock 22 Gen 4 and my Glock 23 Gen 4 and love it..... But to each there own....... Talon Granulated for me !
    photo17_zps0defcdf2.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Brassman65

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    anderson
    I use the hogue rubber grips on most of my hand guns. I like the feel and they seem to fit my hand pretty well. I havent tried the sandpaper/skate tape grips yet though...

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I just got a set of Tractiongrips" for my Taurus TCP 380. I purchased the rubber variety in black. They went on easily, only cost me a little over $10 including shipping.
    I can't possibly tell you what a difference they made. Really makes it much easier to hold on to, therefore much more accurate.
    Easy to take off if I would ever want to.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Rubber will grab your clothing and also not nearly as grippy when wet.
    Skateboard tape will rub your skin raw and wear clothing.

If your gun has grip panels i'm a big fan of G10 grips. They are the best of everything with no real drawbacks besides price. I would try to find a pattern that feels good to you and is as aggressive as you want.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Has anyone tried the Pachmayr Tactial grips?

Also, on the adhesive type grips such as Talon or anti-skid tape, etc., can any of you Glock gen 4 users tell me how well they adhere to the grip of the gun? How long do they normally last before you have to reapply them?

I have the Talon rubber grip tapes on my Gen 4 G27 and so far, so good. They don't go down as nicely on the Gen 4 as the do on my Gen 3s, but they do go down well and if you apply a bit of heat, you can press them into the Gen 4 texture to bring a bit of that texture through them. They've been on the G27 for about 8 months now and show no sign of coming off yet.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I never tried the sandpaper grips. Just did not sound like something I would like. The Talon rubber grips are great. I put them on both of my CM9s. No problems whatsoever. Softens the grip during recoil. Makes the little 9mm a pleasure to shoot. I highly recommend them and for $17.95, no shipping cost and no tax, it's not like you are breaking the bank.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I never tried the sandpaper grips. Just did not sound like something I would like. The Talon rubber grips are great. I put them on both of my CM9s. No problems whatsoever. Softens the grip during recoil. Makes the little 9mm a pleasure to shoot. I highly recommend them and for $17.95, no shipping cost and no tax, it's not like you are breaking the bank.

For around $5 or $6 you can order a 3 x 6 piece of the rubber grip tape to fit on other guns. I use it for the front strap of a 1911 and also on a CZ 75 Compact.

Top Bottom