• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Link below gets you to the Neighborhood Watch Manual (dated 14 Jan 2010). I'm not a lawyer, but a municipality can't tell a group of otherwise legel to carry individuals they can't carry because they belong to a group. What's next, 4-H leaders and the Lion's Club?? The only reference to not carrying weapons is with a Citizens Patrol, which is trained by police and a very different entity than a Neighborhood Watch. When I read that I said, "Well I never be in one of those."

A Neighborhod Watch is pretty much people who pay attention and who also have a communcations structure along with Boris the Burglar signs. I send out e-mails when homes get invaded in Plainfield or burglaries make the news in this area. When the bank up the road got robbed and the suspects were reported on foot, that seemed like a good time to try out the phone tree (what we called a recall roster in the USAF).
    I've looked at the FBI crime stats on Sanford, FL, I don't carry when I walk around the neighborhood here, I would in Sanford, FL, or east of Raceway Road.
    http://www.usaonwatch.org/assets/publications/0_NW_Manual_1210.pdf

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Link below gets you to the Neighborhood Watch Manual (dated 14 Jan 2010). I'm not a lawyer, but a municipality can't tell a group of otherwise legel to carry individuals they can't carry because they belong to a group. What's next, 4-H leaders and the Lion's Club?? The only reference to not carrying weapons is with a Citizens Patrol, which is trained by police and a very different entity than a Neighborhood Watch. When I read that I said, "Well I never be in one of those."

A Neighborhod Watch is pretty much people who pay attention and who also have a communcations structure along with Boris the Burglar signs. I send out e-mails when homes get invaded in Plainfield or burglaries make the news in this area. When the bank up the road got robbed and the suspects were reported on foot, that seemed like a good time to try out the phone tree (what we called a recall roster in the USAF).
    I've looked at the FBI crime stats on Sanford, FL, I don't carry when I walk around the neighborhood here, I would in Sanford, FL, or east of Raceway Road.
    http://www.usaonwatch.org/assets/publications/0_NW_Manual_1210.pdf

I wonder if this watch group is sanctioned/organized by the city. If it is, I doubt it affects "watch captains" that privately organized, but rather it is a prohibition on members of the city's group.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Why would a neighborhood watch member have to carry a weapon when patrolling? The State of Florida has made it a crime to interfere with, assault, or intimidate a watch member in the performance of his duties.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I wonder if this watch group is sanctioned/organized by the city. If it is, I doubt it affects "watch captains" that privately organized, but rather it is a prohibition on members of the city's group.

Groups register with USA on Watch (National Sheriff's Association). Nothing prohibits citizens from acting in a similar manner on their own. When the drive-by media reported GZ was part of an "unregistered" Neighborhood Watch. That means they can't use the likeness of Boris the Burglar or any other image copyrighted/trademarked by NSA, and they didn't take 5 minutes to go to the website and register. The USA on Watch site has a lot of good info, but you don't have to be a registered group to access it. I have a log-on and password, can't really tell any difference in things you can access.

If it is a group organized by the city, they could say you can't carry weapons. As a free citzen we can say, "GO POUND SAND!!" and start our own group, maybe two. One for 1911s, one for Glocks.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Why would a neighborhood watch member have to carry a weapon when patrolling? The State of Florida has made it a crime to interfere with, assault, or intimidate a watch member in the performance of his duties.

The unoffical motto of our NW is, "Vigilant, observant, but not creepy."

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    If you're going to observe crime and someone catches you, like they did Zimmerman, then you can expect to be raped, beaten or murdered while defenseless. Sounds like fun, where do I sign up?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you're going to observe crime and someone catches you, like they did Zimmerman, then you can expect to be raped, beaten or murdered while defenseless. Sounds like fun, where do I sign up?

Uh, there was no crime that Zimmerman caught.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Serious question: What is the benefit of being part of the 'neighborhood watch', officially? Do you get paid? Do you get anything for it? If not, I'd just 'quit' being part of the 'neighborhood watch' and just start being that guy who walks around the neighborhood, legally armed, watching...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    enlighten me.. I always assumed someone walking through my backyard and looking in my window was breaking at least trespass laws..

Only works if that person has been previously denied being there by the propety owner. As far as looking through windows, nope, not illegal unless you can prove voyeurism.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The beating he took, he caught it and stopped it.

I'm not going to get into the debate concerning what happened after they encountered one another. I'm simply pointing out that no crime had been committed, that any of us are aware, prior to the two making contact with one another.

Kut (is trying to be diplomatic)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Is there a cure for stupid? Maybe a pill or something?

Actually there is, and it's a very effective remedy.
    A 240gr .45caliber "pill" will generally eliminate a single case of stupidity permanently.

Unfortunately it's illegal to administer this cure without the proper authorization, which is all but impossible to obtain.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    That's a good ruling, alright. As a person that reported every theft and breakin that I came on, I've been charged and shot at, and even had my shop and vehicles vandalized. I've survived all those and helped PD arrest many idiots.
    If I had to go unarmed, they wouldn't get another call from me.
    Makes you wonder if that's the plan and city council gets a portion of the proceeds from all thefts, robberies, and muggings?

Top Bottom