• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Which again goes back to our laws.

Partially. Profit first mentality as well. It's cheaper to allow theft then to intercede, which has already been addressed in the thread, and once theft reaches that level to just close and leave.

So yeah, a pretty complex issue that will take a robust multi-angle solution.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Partially. Profit first mentality as well. It's cheaper to allow theft then to intercede, which has already been addressed in the thread, and once theft reaches that level to just close and leave.

So yeah, a pretty complex issue that will take a robust multi-angle solution.
    I meant the lawsuits that started the slide. There were laws that allowed people committing crimes to sue the victims of the crimes for trying to stop the crime. Remove the lawsuits, and it is may not better for the bottom line to allow the thefts.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I meant the lawsuits that started the slide. There were laws that allowed people committing crimes to sue the victims of the crimes for trying to stop the crime. Remove the lawsuits, and it is may not better for the bottom line to allow the thefts.
    I know what you meant and agreed. It's a component of the problem. Obviously shopkeeper's rights can't be unlimited, but the pendulum needs to swing back somewhat.

But even without lawsuits, bottom line includes paying for the man-hours for LP/Security, then pay them to testify, etc. Pay worker's comp for employees injured while apprehending shoplifters who fight, etc. etc.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You choose to do nothing, just like the cashier. Indiana law protects good Samaritans that try to stop criminals in the act of a crime or doing harm to another person.

The cashier knew for a certainty that he would be fired if he did ANYTHING except politely yell "Sir?"

The shoppers did nothing because they just wanted to buy their merchandise and go home, and not have to spend hours being interrogated, surrender their firearm, and be sued by the criminal's because the criminal obviously was just trying to turn his life around, and anyone who prevents him from doing that is clearly a racist, which all of the news stations will breathlessly parrot.

I get it. The crook was leaving, hadn't attacked anyone, and if the store doesn't care, why should anyone else?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    You sound more like the boy who cried wolf. People like you who stand by and do nothing will get exactly that the next time you need help in a crisis, nothing.

Keep in mind that by the time he was aware of the crook, the crook was already going out the door and hadn't attacked anyone. I think he would be on very shaky legal ground if he pursued the crook to initiate a confrontation which would most likely end in gunfire.

Would you be willing to risk 5-10 years in jail to maybe save a couple cases of nasty beer?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Bail reduction is kind of a requirement. There's this really old document and the 8th part of it says bail shouldnt be excessive.

The definition of "excessive" is where part of the problem is. What is excessive for driving without a license might not be nearly enough as for attempted murder. And when the bail for the violent charge is being paid by a government-funded entity, what is "excessive" anyway?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    So if you want to hold someone accountable, maybe the folks giving millions to professional sports and not paying a rate for lawyers that will attract people? I don't know, but if you're going to hold someone accountable then also make sure they have the tools they need to do the job.

Perhaps give all of the tax revenue that currently goes to the Colts and Pacers, and give it to the court system?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Gee
    Imagine that.
    It's almost like ANYONE WITH A BRAIN predicted.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I'm watching Fox59 moan about the current homicide total, and of course extolling the latest "anti-gun violence prevention program". Makes me want to puke listening to this tripe.

Just once I want a public servant to speak the truth.

Crime is rising because we have allowed feral humans to run amuck in our community. Until we incarcerated or terminate the criminal element things will not improve. Hire a Prosecutor who will prosecute. Arm yourself! The police can usually only show up to put a tag on your toe. In the moment you are threatened, the only one who is going to save you, is you!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm watching Fox59 moan about the current homicide total, and of course extolling the latest "anti-gun violence prevention program". Makes me want to puke listening to this tripe.

Crime is rising because we have allowed feral humans to run amuck in our community. Until we incarcerated or terminate the criminal element things will not improve. Hire a Prosecutor who will prosecute. Arm yourself! The police can usually only show up to put a tag on your toe. In the moment you are threatened, the only one who is going to save you, is you!
    Exactly

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Dead on balls accurate.

Top Bottom