• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I called it. Walgreens just unveiled "Service Merchandise 2.0" in Chicago as a pilot store.

They cant steal it if they cant touch it.

Oh, and they said "This isnt about theft" I call bull:poop: You wouldnt have changed to this model if the youts werent robbing you blind. At least admit to what you are doing. Others have done it in the hood for decades. (though typically behind chain link)

I was in one in Marion several decades ago. You'd walk into the little convenience store and you were basically in a cage. You would point out what you wanted to the clerk and he would walk around the outside of your "cage" and get it off the shelf for you.

Stores in inter-city ghetto's have been that way for at least 40 years that I know of.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I need to learn how to recognize them. I mean, do they wear long trenchcoats with the shave cream in little pockets on the inside? :dunno:
    No, they set up on street corners in the hood.

They set up easy up tents and card tables with soaps and other items lined up in the quantities you would find them on store shelves.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I called it. Walgreens just unveiled "Service Merchandise 2.0" in Chicago as a pilot store.
    Respectfully sir, there can be no Service Merchandise 2.0 any more there can be a Babe Ruth 2.0 or General Patton 2.0!

Service Merchandise is sui generis...the greatest store ever! :):

The suspense and delight of the sound of those gravity rollers bringing untold goodies to customers is unsurpassed in retail history! :D

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    To whom? I mean, I've never thought of looking for some scraggly guy selling black market shave cream when I'm starting to run low.
    I was in the gas station on HWY 26 right between Walmart and Interstate 65. I have not shaved or gotten a haircut since 2019. While I was getting gas a bald guy with small face tattoos came up needing gas money and had an armful of new razors still in the packages. He was willing to sell for whatever I would offer. When you think about it, if a man has low expectations to make a few bucks, selling common items might be easy. I man is going to open his wallet quicker for a few bucks than a couple hundred for a boosted flat screen TV.

At first I thought he was pretty silly for trying to sell razors to a heavily bearded man. Then I was ticked when I realized maybe he was also making a comment on my grooming habits.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Respectfully sir, there can be no Service Merchandise 2.0 any more there can be a Babe Ruth 2.0 or General Patton 2.0!

The suspense and delight of the sound of those gravity rollers bringing untold goodies to customers is unsurpassed in retail history! :D
    Service Merchandise?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

K’s merchandise was a tad upscale. They had employees bring your purchase to the checkout with a name tag on it and you picked it up there as you checked out from your other shopping.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Service Merchandise?
    austin-powers-yeah-baby-yeah.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Service Merchandise?
    It was a mail order catalog back in the 80s.

But they also had retail stores. They had product displays out. You grabbed a clipboard, and filled out pretty much the same form you would mail in when you found what you wanted. But you would take it to the cash registers where they would ring you up. Within 10 mins your stuff came rumbling down a conveyor roller in a grey tub from the back room and they would give it to you to walk out.

Kinda like buying OTC meds with pseudoephedrine in it today. Give them the card from the shelf, they'd grab the box from the back, then ring you out.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T

But they also had retail stores. They had product displays out. You grabbed a clipboard, and filled out pretty much the same form you would mail in when you found what you wanted. But you would take it to the cash registers where they would ring you up. Within 10 mins your stuff came rumbling down a conveyor roller in a grey tub from the back room and they would give it to you to walk out.
    Oh man, I forgot about the clip boards!!! And the little, crappy golf pencils, which were never sharp enough to write the product code on the paper.

If I was Elon Musk, I would send Bezos on a SpaceX flight, make sure the booster was a dud, buy Amazon and rename it Service Merchandise. My zealotry for that store knows no bounds!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was in the gas station on HWY 26 right between Walmart and Interstate 65. I have not shaved or gotten a haircut since 2019. While I was getting gas a bald guy with small face tattoos came up needing gas money and had an armful of new razors still in the packages. He was willing to sell for whatever I would offer. When you think about it, if a man has low expectations to make a few bucks, selling common items might be easy. I man is going to open his wallet quicker for a few bucks than a couple hundred for a boosted flat screen TV.

At first I thought he was pretty silly for trying to sell razors to a heavily bearded man. Then I was ticked when I realized maybe he was also making a comment on my grooming habits.

:postpics:

Reactions: Leo

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011

Kinda like buying OTC meds with pseudoephedrine in it today. Give them the card from the shelf, they'd grab the box from the back, then ring you out.
    That had to be a sight to see.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I expect eventually if this shoplifting thing doesnt calm down, that EVERY store will be like that, with card instead of product so you cant shoplift at all. If they are good, they'll either stock only as many cards as they have of that item, or have a digital counter to show inventory levels.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    And I expect eventually if this shoplifting thing doesnt calm down, that EVERY store will be like that, with card instead of product so you cant shoplift at all. If they are good, they'll either stock only as many cards as they have of that item, or have a digital counter to show inventory levels.
    Seems many stores are closing in Liberal areas where theft is ignored.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That had to be a sight to see.
    Yep. The only actual FS merch you could touch was jewelry. But it was locked in a display case.

I bought my first dress watch from there. I paid "big money" (for a 20YO) in 1993 for a gold watch. looking at the inflation calculator, it would have been a thousand dollar watch today.

Top Bottom