• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I took my 2 year old into a bar and asked everyone to stop drinking because I didn't Want my precious child Cody to be exposed to the smell of beer.

They laughed at me and my wonderful Cody. Don't they know my Cody is special and needs to be catered to? I bring my kids everywhere. I feel the world should be totally kid friendly. I am petitioning Las Vegas to stop gambling so it can be more kid friendly.

You cant get 2nd hand liver cancer from others drinking. You can get 2nd hand lung cancer from others smoking.

That wont happen after being exposed to a smoker for 5 minutes. But there is clearly a difference.

You going to expose your kid to asbestos? I mean one exposure probably wont cause cancer either, but its still not a smart thing to do.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I know people do that, but its pathetic. Every time I see some idiot smoking in his/her car with a kid in the back seat I just shake my head at how stupid people can be.

Trapping your kid in a car whilst smoking is Way different than simply being in a store where some guy is smoking. Theres lots of un-smokey air. The chance of the kid getting anything is so slim its not worth mentioning.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Not saying anything about smoking right or wrong. People make their own choices. I personally don't smoke

I recently inherited some reloading equipment from my father-in-law that passed away last year. When I was bringing it into my house the otehr night it smelled like cigarettes smoke and it seemed like he was standing there. I almost said to my wife "Hey, smell this, it smells like your dad". But then I figured I better just not say anything.

His cigarettes cost him more than $500. They cost him his life.

It's sad and I certainly don't look down on anyone who smokes. I just know it's going to be bad day when those words are spoken to them.

Now as for the OP you could have politely asked if he would mind not smoking that while you were in there with your daughter. He can then decide if he wants to or not. Then you make your decision based on what he says. I think that it would have made the point.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Not saying anything about smoking right or wrong. People make their own choices. I personally don't smoke

I recently inherited some reloading equipment from my father-in-law that passed away last year. When I was bringing it into my house the otehr night it smelled like cigarettes smoke and it seemed like he was standing there. I almost said to my wife "Hey, smell this, it smells like your dad". But then I figured I better just not say anything.

His cigarettes cost him more than $500. They cost him his life.

It's sad and I certainly don't look down on anyone who smokes. I just know it's going to be bad day when those words are spoken to them.

Now as for the OP you could have politely asked if he would mind not smoking that while you were in there with your daughter. He can then decide if he wants to or not. Then you make your decision based on what he says. I think that it would have made the point.

Not his daughter not his problem. You don't go into another persons shop and start imposing your will on them. You either quietly leave or you man up and make your purchase and leave. Was the op planning on sitting down, kicking up his feet and hanging out for an afternoon with his little one in the shop? No. He went in to buy a gun and leave. The time it took to buy the gun and get out there would have been no reasonably threat to him or his little on.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Elmore's were kind and willing to put down the cigs when I called them about not smoking when I took my daughter in with me...be polite to them and they may kindly return the favor.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    You either quietly leave or you man up and make your purchase and leave.

I believe that is what he did. He left and did not make a purchase. I think that was his point.

My point is not about him smoking or not. He can do what he wants. My point is that if you asked the owner nicely then I bet he would be willing to make you comfortable by not smoking in front of your daughter. He may say screw you but I really don't think that it would be as confrontational as so many of these threads are.

The man is a buisness owner and wants to sell guns - period. If he wants to say screw you then fine. In this case alone he does not make the sale that is both of their decisions. It does not change the world.

It does not have to be a fight or an argument. It's a request that is verbally submitted and can be verbally denied. Pleasantly.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    True he did leave, but he had to make a snarky comment about it. There's no reason to be all uppity.

leave or make a purchase, no reason to make a snarky comment and then come running to the internet "Hey guys get this, i went into a store with my kid and the shop keep was smoking, So I hopped up on my high horse and got the bunnies and unicorns outta there, how awesome am I , right"

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    True he did leave, but he had to make a snarky comment about it. There's no reason to be all uppity.

leave or make a purchase, no reason to make a snarky comment and then come running to the internet "Hey guys get this, i went into a store with my kid and the shop keep was smoking, So I hopped up on my high horse and got the bunnies and unicorns outta there, how awesome am I , right"

I hear your point. But I think personally (and I do own a business) that you should not just quietly leave if there is something that made you leave. Someone should know why you are leaving otherwise the owner does not have the ability to make a decision about what he may or may not do in the future.

If you were to say "I never some into your shop because you smoke". He may say "well that's your choice" or he may just say "Hey, I didn't know that, I wish you would have said something". "I would just take it out back while your in there".

To your point - Yes, it seems like a small thing to bring up this incident but I think he is just discussing things. I don't think he believes he's a hero or a heel.

TailBlazer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I say we re-visit this thread when the daughter is 18. 10 bucks says she is a smoker and we can have a good laugh.
    smoking_child270.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Im a smoker, I only smoke about 3-4 cigs a day, but I NEVER smoke at work or before work or even outide of work around customers who I know are non-smokers. I just personally think its rude as hell to smoke infront of people who you know are non-smokers or strangers who you have no idea if they smoke or not. I dont even smoke in my own house or truck bc I dont like the lingering odor. Also I cant stand walking into a place that reeks of smoke. KEEP IN MIND IM A SMOKER and yes I can still smell it and yes its awful. Still its his place of business, and his choice on how he runs it.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm going to be the guy who says a gun store isn't a place for a young child.

I have been around guns as long as I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are going to the local gun store with my dad. My son started shooting at 7. If we want to teach our children safe firearm handling and to raise the next generation of gun owners, why wouldn't a gun store be a place for a young kid. Should we keep our wives out as well? I agree that the guy has a right to do whatever he wants in his store, but when I was a business owner I tried to make my customers feel comfortable, not isolate them.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    You and your child's life were in more danger outside that store than in. I don't smoke but I don't degrade anyone that does. Way over reaction IMO. ;)

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    I agree with the OP. Smoking is a filthy habit and he protested in the proper way by taking his business elsewhere.
    As for kids in a gun shop; the naysayers are ridiculous with their opposition. I have taken both of my great-nieces (ages 7 & 9 at the time) into a gun shop with me and the owner couldn't have been nicer to them. He enjoyed having them there and they loved it. :rockwoot:

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    I don't understand what the big deal is. if you don't like smoking, you can go somewhere else. You can't go in someone's house and tell them how to run things.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    I also feel you could have at least said something to him. I'm sure if you asked him politely to not smoke around your child would have done the trick and probably made more of an impression than just storming out of the shop.

Business owners are used to dealing with people who storm out after not getting their way, but they don't always encounter someone who's willing to be polite about the situation and make a simple request in the health of their child. I'm sure he would have seen where you were coming from and put it out immediately. If not, you could have shown him that by not putting it out after being asked politely will cost him a sale.

Just something to think about if you ever run into another occasion such as this. $0.02

...some owners/salesmen don't get it - but I totally agree with the above statement.
    Not to say YOU did anything wrong, but stepping up to voice your concerns about your child being within feet of the offending practice -- well, I would of handled it differently. I certainly would of told him why the sale went south and that I would buy elsewhere. Maybe his prices weren't all that good to begin with..??

YMMV :popcorn:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    ...some owners/salesmen don't get it - but I totally agree with the above statement.
    Not to say YOU did anything wrong, but stepping up to voice your concerns about your child being within feet of the offending practice -- well, I would of handled it differently. I certainly would of told him why the sale went south and that I would buy elsewhere. Maybe his prices weren't all that good to begin with..??

YMMV :popcorn:

its not his fault 'you' were offended, its your own fault. Your emotions made you offended. If I went into a gun shop and the owner was standing on a soap box preaching out of the watch tower. or going on and on about how women should stay in the kitchen, or that white people are better than others.. i would be offended, but thats my problem not his. I either deal with it or leave. I don't make my problem his problem.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    its not his fault 'you' were offended, its your own fault. Your emotions made you offended. If I went into a gun shop and the owner was standing on a soap box preaching out of the watch tower. or going on and on about how women should stay in the kitchen, or that white people are better than others.. i would be offended, but thats my problem not his. I either deal with it or leave. I don't make my problem his problem.
    What's wrong with Women being in the Kitchen!? :dunno:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Nothing, as long as they are making sandwiches........

Another positive note about being in the kitchen is it keeps them from being out on the road driving. :twocents:

Do you know why women don't need drivers licenses?

Theres no road between the kitchen and the bed room. :joke:

i kid i kid.

Top Bottom