• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I guess my point was a stock, as a design feature, is intended for shouldering a weapon. That in my mind would clearly exclude it as a handgun because it is not "designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one hand". Seems like a lot of "law" is interpretation of language and definitions.

The ATF opinion letter was just a general bit of info related to some of the talk in this thread about transporting an SBR lower across states lines in different configurations, not a comment to Indiana's definition of a handgun. Configuration seems to determines classification, according to their opinion, so with a rifle length upper you wouldn't need a 5320 filed.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I guess my point was a stock, as a design feature, is intended for shouldering a weapon. That in my mind would clearly exclude it as a handgun because it is not "designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one hand". Seems like a lot of "law" is interpretation of language and definitions.

Well, to be fair, MOST of the law is interpretation of language and definitions. :)

The Indiana definition of handgun has 3 parts, in an either/or framework.

If it is "designed or adapted" to be fired with 1 hand it is a handgun.

OR... barrel length less than 16" or overall length less than 26". So, and SBR would fall into one of the latter 2 categories, most likely the barrel less than 16".

The ATF opinion letter was just a general bit of info related to some of the talk in this thread about transporting an SBR lower across states lines in different configurations, not a comment to Indiana's definition of a handgun.
    Ah, sorry, didn't pick up on that. The state laws can still vary on that issue, though, too.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Does converting an AR pistol to an SBR on a form 1 require engraving the receiver when done for an individual (not a trust)? I’ve been looking at a couple of process guides and don’t see engraving mentioned.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There used to be a variance request letter to ATF requesting not having to engrave. I haven't seen that info for years. You are most likely stuck with having it engraved. Engraving the bottom of the AR lower trigger area seems to be the new trend.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    There used to be a variance request letter to ATF requesting not having to engrave. I haven't seen that info for years. You are most likely stuck with having it engraved. Engraving the bottom of the AR lower trigger area seems to be the new trend.

Agreed. Just do it. Some companies won’t engrave the lower trigger area, so if it’s important to you, spend the time to find someone who can. Otherwise, the usual marking area works fine.

Top Bottom