Scam Alert: You owe taxes and if you don't call you will be taken into custody.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've gotten callbacks from people who received these calls. They tell me to quit calling them and are very confused when I tell them I wasn't the one calling.

My dad's response to these guys is to swear at then and insult them before hanging up.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I get the IRS calls. I'll be arrested and what not. I could use a little break I guess.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've gotten callbacks from people who received these calls. They tell me to quit calling them and are very confused when I tell them I wasn't the one calling.

I never understood the callback....

Scammer calls and tries to trick you into (resort, credit card, extortion) ... ... so you call them back‽ Why? They already took your precious time, why give them more?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I never understood the callback....

Scammer calls and tries to trick you into (resort, credit card, extortion) ... ... so you call them back‽ Why? They already took your precious
    time, why give them more?

The scammers typically call multiple people at the same time. As soon as one answers it cuts the other calls off, so four out of the 5 people just have a missed call from a local number. I've had several people call me when my number was spoofed, all of them saying they had a missed call from my number.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The scammers typically call multiple people at the same time. As soon as one answers it cuts the other calls off, so four out of the 5 people just have a missed call from a local number. I've had several people call me when my number was spoofed, all of them saying they had a missed call from my number.
    Gotcha.

"Emily" has called me [STRIKE]five[/STRIKE] six times today about her resort. :xmad:

Last edited:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I want to answer one of these. When I have time to have fun. Keep refusing and tell them I will wait for the Sherriff. He owes me money anyway. :).

Tommohawk through their heir window isn't strong enough

HodgeStyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2018
    Scott County
    Its funny you should mention...

I have been recieving phone calls almost daily from(876)-365-2831=Jamaica is what shows up on caller ID. Called them back and they told me "we are the IRS" in his best Afghani voice. I told him " if your the IRS then I am the President of the USA. He told me to go #@%& a goat, and starting cussing toward me in an untimely fashion. So i responded with the ol "I had your sister last night" line and we had some fun responding to each others insults and then the calls stopped. Wonder if i said something wrong? He was actually quite funny.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I found out yesterday that a member of my wifes family fell for this for about $500. He had been in some legal trouble earlier this year and didn't want to go to jail.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Its funny you should mention...

I have been recieving phone calls almost daily from(876)-365-2831=Jamaica is what shows up on caller ID. Called them back and they told me "we are the IRS" in his best Afghani voice. I told him " if your the IRS then I am the President of the USA. He told me to go #@%& a goat, and starting cussing toward me in an untimely fashion. So i responded with the ol "I had your sister last night" line and we had some fun responding to each others insults and then the calls stopped. Wonder if i said something wrong? He was actually quite funny.

Ever wonder who's actually on the other end of the line?

This two part episode of Reply All had me enthralled.
    https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/long-distance#episode-player
    https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/103-long-distance-part-ii#episode-player

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I found out yesterday that a member of my wifes family fell for this for about $500. He had been in some legal trouble earlier this year and didn't want to go to jail.

I suspect that there is a correlation between falling for the scam and unresolved guilt feelings. The scammers know it and they take advantage of it.

Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    Ever wonder who's actually on the other end of the line?

This two part episode of Reply All had me enthralled.
    https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/long-distance#episode-player
    https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/103-long-distance-part-ii#episode-player

Ok that's an hour I'll never get back but man... he is funny. I played with one of those callers once and when I repeated the website he needed me to goto as www.YouveGotToBeKiddingMe.com he started the string of curse words he knew. ;-) I figured that was 30 mins he wasn't stealing from some old lady.

Pyro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2018
    Indy
    Wellp here goes the next 2 hours. ;o) When he leaves to get the glasses that's classic.

Ok the IT guy scamming the scammers is classic and it really shows just how far they will go to con someone, especially someone older. If you just want to appreciate it listen for 5-10, skip 30, 5 min, skip 30 ... the last 10 is worth it. As an IT guy I was as angry as this guy by the end .. I could easily see my mom, GM, really any older friend played by these guys. They come across so helpful and friendly.

Top Bottom