• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So you know those private (repo) scanners are simply checking for a particular plate against a self-created database of plates they are looking for. They cannot access BMV info related to ownership. The Police LPRs (mostly) also check for hits against a database of parameters, they don't actually run each plate they scan. They log the plate # and location and search it against a database, that's it.
    It's not unheard of for them to sell the plate numbers and location info with other entities though. That is where things start to get sketchy. Plenty of data privacy and security issues entangled in there too. How long do they keep the info they've collected, what security is around the collected info, etc...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I agree and disagree. Not sure how I feel about this, as courts have ruled anything in public view is fine to record. But, scanning a plate that holds personal information should be a violation of the 4th. Wonder how this will end up, if ever challenged.

The plate is a number. We all see numbers every day. The issue is who has access to a database that links the number to information. If its the state, there is no privacy interest in car registration information.

There is no search. There is no self-incrimination issue.

Of course, if people don't like it, they can agitate for legislation to limit the use of this practice.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    So you know those private (repo) scanners are simply checking for a particular plate against a self-created database of plates they are looking for. They cannot access BMV info related to ownership. The Police LPRs (mostly) also check for hits against a database of parameters, they don't actually run each plate they scan. They log the plate # and location and search it against a database, that's it.

Ah, I didn’t know that. If that’s the case I’m really fine with it. It’s in public, my dash camera also records license plates. If they aren’t running personal info isn’t really much difference imo.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm not worried. However, that corporation that uses all capital letters to spell a name similar to mine should be worried.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If you go to big events or around a secure area you are being filmed and your vehicle and details recorded. Welcome to the age of technology. Every damn person has a newsworthy camera and a lot of people are filming themselves and everyone around them and plastering it all online where government and private owned databases use facial recognition software to track people and record movements and other data and it's all recorded for eternity and for the next hacker who wants to steal it and use it for their own purposes. Enjoy your day ;)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Civilians observing other people and recording them and peaking in their windows and digging through their lives, asking where you've been and who youve been with and why did it take you so long, and why are you lying to me, ect ect = stalker, pervert

But when agents of the govt does it, oh well. Duty

We have the power to change it and to limit their granted authority through laws but we choose not to.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have the power to change it and to limit their granted authority through laws but we choose not to.
    Indeed.
    H.B. 1558
    Relates to privacy of license plate data, prohibits a law enforcement agency from retaining license plate data captured by an automated license plate reader for more than 30 days, specifies exceptions to this retention limit in specified circumstances, including for captured plate data obtained under a warrant, and for purposes related to ongoing investigations, allows a law enforcement agency to share captured plate data with another law enforcement agency in certain circumstances.
    http://www.ncsl.org/research/teleco...nse-plate-readers-state-legislation-2016.aspx

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Civilians observing other people and recording them and peaking in their windows and digging through their lives, asking where you've been and who youve been with and why did it take you so long, and why are you lying to me, ect ect = stalker, pervert

But when agents of the govt does it, oh well. Duty

Then what would we ***** about all day?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive seen Last Chance here in Indy doing it. Twice in as many days; Once at 465 and Mann, the other at 38th and Shadeland. A Prius. Cops use marked cars for this when they do it. I've passed ISP several times sitting on a ramp scanning plates.

Old story but it outlines what is going on. Just recovery companies being more efficient. Instead of relying on somebody calling them to go pick up a car, they generate their own work in order to get paid. Kinda like the difference between your boss telling you something broken needs fixed, and instead wandering around looking for something to fix.

License plate readers in use by repo agents - Story | KSAZ

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Ive seen Last Chance here in Indy doing it. Twice in as many days; Once at 465 and Mann, the other at 38th and Shadeland. A Prius. Cops use marked cars for this when they do it. I've passed ISP several times sitting on a ramp scanning plates.

Old story but it outlines what is going on. Just recovery companies being more efficient. Instead of relying on somebody calling them to go pick up a car, they generate their own work in order to get paid. Kinda like the difference between your boss telling you something broken needs fixed, and instead wandering around looking for something to fix.

License plate readers in use by repo agents - Story | KSAZ
    For the private sector I have no problem with this. They are attempting to get back their own property. Good for them. (Also like said above they dont have access to BMV databases nor should they)

But when the government does it and collects data of innocent people who have committed no crime, and that data COULD potentialy be used against them at a later date to say well so and so was here at the mall when their wife was murdered so they must have done it ect. All because they STORED data that they shouldn't.
    Oh and they always say, well we dont store this data or we dont keep electronic 4473's in a database .... see such and such law, that would he illegal bla bla bla.
    Yet how many ****ing times have we seen them flat out LIE to us and they are collecting and storing the data even if the law prevents it. Whe you are the ones (I mean departments as a whole mostly not individual officers) with the cuffs, who do you have to fear?
    This is bull ****. But yep, throw out the tin hat label like always they will because thats how it takes the focus off the issue. Many tin foil hat stuff is just that, but many times its proven true and a lot of cases involving the government I'm gonna verify before I take the governments word for it. That's called being a responsible citizen

Last edited:

inav8r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Pendleton
    Since learning about repo activities this morning - I've done some internet research. I've read various news articles reported on the subject over the past 4 years and it appears that there are private companies who build and maintain a database of plate number and location. This is both so they can look for active repo's but also so that in the event you are sent in for repo in the future they already know "some" usual spots to look.

I don't mind the police sitting alongside the highway looking for plates tied to warrants or other activities and then immediately acting upon that vehicle. I also don't mind repo companies searching for active repo's.

What I do mind and what I don't like are companies and/or the government maintaining the data in a database and tracking where the public goes.

Of course I readily give this to Google (because of my phone)....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You guys would freak out about WiFi routers tracking devices. Your phone is constantly sending out messages asking if a certain WiFi network is there or not. Routers can listen to and track those requests and who made them. Same with Bluetooth. My brother can tell when all of his neighbors leave his neighborhood based on the signals that hit his router when they drive by. He can tell if you’re phone’s home or not also.

scRy stuff

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have operated one of our LPR cars and I have queried the database a few times. Actually running the car is a pain in the ass but the database has been invaluable in solving a few crimes. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know if the database can be searched by area, (to plot an area over time to see what cars were in it), but it seems like the list of vehicles in that area would be so huge as to be of little investigative value. When I have searched it, it has been by plate to see if that particular plate had ever been caught by one of the LPRs and if so, where and when did that happen. Coincidentally, all of my queries to it have been on fatal hit and run crashes where we were looking for the whereabouts of the suspect vehicle.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom