• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is no, and never has been, an expectation of privacy as to your movements in a public place. If my neighbor wants to sit on his porch and keep a notebook of all the times I pass by, he can. He's retired, so literally he can. Or he can put a camera up and, if he likes, watch it and see when I pass by. He can, legally, even follow me around if he likes. I'm not so fascinating that he does so, but he can.

I honestly don't get the fuss. When I'm in public, I'm in the public view. Peeping in my house is a different matter, and that legal distinction exists, but the public is...public.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There is no, and never has been, an expectation of privacy as to your movements in a public place. If my neighbor wants to sit on his porch and keep a notebook of all the times I pass by, he can. He's retired, so literally he can. Or he can put a camera up and, if he likes, watch it and see when I pass by. He can, legally, even follow me around if he likes. I'm not so fascinating that he does so, but he can.

I honestly don't get the fuss. When I'm in public, I'm in the public view. Peeping in my house is a different matter, and that legal distinction exists, but the public is...public.

By “me” you mean citizen you and not police you right? I think it’s time the court strike down the laws banning filming of officers officating

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You guys would freak out about WiFi routers tracking devices. Your phone is constantly sending out messages asking if a certain WiFi network is there or not. Routers can listen to and track those requests and who made them. Same with Bluetooth. My brother can tell when all of his neighbors leave his neighborhood based on the signals that hit his router when they drive by. He can tell if you’re phone’s home or not also.

scRy stuff

iDevices are not longer suseptible to this in many cases. Apple did protect our privacy by changing how it is aware of surrounding networks. Each network device has a unique hardware address. But when a current and updated iDevice passively scans for surrounding networks, it spoofs that MAC address and gives out a bogus one. It only gives out the real MAC when its on and actively communicating with an AP.

Enterprise APs like Meraki have a cool metrics. It allows a network owner to see how often a customer comes and goes and how long they stay by using your phone as an anonymous proxy. It doesnt ID you per se, but instead gives the owner a glimpse into how engaged you are and how much traffic his location gets. (we are next to a freeway, so that is why the device proximity is so high)

So if I were running a coffee shop, I could know that I have 25 people that come and go daily and stay for 20 minutes, 5 people that come in only on tuesdays and get a to go order (in and out in 5), etc. I could then compare the metrics over time to see how my business is doing, if advertising is impacting visits, etc.

metrics1.jpg

metrics2.jpg

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have operated one of our LPR cars and I have queried the database a few times. Actually running the car is a pain in the ass but the database has been invaluable in solving a few crimes. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know if the database can be searched by area, (to plot an area over time to see what cars were in it), but it seems like the list of vehicles in that area would be so huge as to be of little investigative value. When I have searched it, it has been by plate to see if that particular plate had ever been caught by one of the LPRs and if so, where and when did that happen. Coincidentally, all of my queries to it have been on fatal hit and run crashes where we were looking for the whereabouts of the suspect vehicle.
    I have Zero questions in my mind that YOU personaly and other INGO officers, troppers, and deputies I've met would only use this info in the most professional manner and to catch a truly bad person or warrant. My beef isnt with you officers I assure you and I really am sorry that sometimes the way our laws are it makes it harder on you guys just trying to protect the rest of us, I sincerely mean that if its worth anything at all. Theres things I personaly would love to do to protect our border as one example but our laws would prevent it and I would never do it even if I was an elected official for that reason.
    But if I could help change the law to eliminate this database I would absolutely do it just to protect 1 innocent person even if 100 guilty ones went free alittle longer.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

The distinction for me is government vs private citizen.
    We must always be trying to limit what govt can do because I can guarentee you with certainty that govt will abuse the information they collect if there is any way possible.

Not too long ago on ingo we were told that they dont even store this info. Guess that was wrong

Also I think we need to change the law to make sure there is an expectation of privacy from the government.
    How much money and resources does the government at all levels waste on storing data on non criminals or collecting this data.
    The guy walking the beaches looking for unpaid *******, it wouldn't surprise me if he worked for the government. That seems like some of the dumb **** they fund.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    i know a guy who works for a plastic surgeon in FL. He looks for women who didn't pay their augmentation bills. spends all day at the beach scanning for them. Well, I want to know him. Actually, that's my dream job.

I guess in any profession you can tell one practitioners work from the next. Wonder what the clues are and how close you have to look.;)

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I guess in any profession you can tell one practitioners work from the next. Wonder what the clues are and how close you have to look.;)

Yes, sometimes It can be pretty touch and go. They closely regulate credentialing and licensing but there are still a lot of boobs around. There is usually a base price to get you on the door and they nipple and dime you. That is where the repo business comes in.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yes, sometimes It can be pretty touch and go. They closely regulate credentialing and licensing but there are still a lot of boobs around. There is usually a base price to get you on the door and they nipple and dime you. That is where the repo business comes in.

And where might one buy one of these “repos”?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

[video=youtube_share;P0LkMrPMMhw]http://youtu.be/P0LkMrPMMhw[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys would freak out about WiFi routers tracking devices. Your phone is constantly sending out messages asking if a certain WiFi network is there or not. Routers can listen to and track those requests and who made them. Same with Bluetooth. My brother can tell when all of his neighbors leave his neighborhood based on the signals that hit his router when they drive by. He can tell if you’re phone’s home or not also.

scRy stuff

My flip phone doesn't do that. :)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    None, in half of the country.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/533031/

i don’t like being filmed. Private property though and medical care which gives me an out

There's no law against filming police in Indiana. There's no law specifically against filming police pretty much anywhere. I won't say everywhere, because I don't know or care about everywhere's laws. The states in question generally have some sort of anti-wiretapping law that makes it illegal to record voice without all parties knowing about it. There's no specific about if one party or the other is LEO. The courts then carve out an exemption for LEOs being filmed due to gov't actor, etc. This is also flows the other way. Without a warrant, some LEOs can't capture voice without notification, so on a traffic stop with in-car cameras they have to say something like "I'm Officer X and you are being video and audio recorded..."

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Now I know, this scans the cars info and not necessarily the driver info but it's still not cool.

Scan my Jeep see it belongs to me, search my records, see I have an unpaid ticket. Send officer to pick me up.

A private company should not have access to vehicle registration information just from scanning the plate, unless that company is contracted by the government to perform a specific purpose. Like toll bridge cameras that scan your plate and send you a toll bill. You can't be jailed for an unpaid ticket in Indiana. Also, pay your ticket if you get one. :):

Isn't that a bit agaisn tour 4th amendment.

No. The 4th Amendment protects against unreasonable search and seizure. You would be in a public place, thus you have no expectation of privacy in that which is viewable to everybody. The license plate is not yours anyway, it is issued by the government and displays a registration number that reflects your vehicle/personal information in your registration records. Of course the information is available to government agencies. That's the whole point of the registration system. The general public does not have access to this information, however, you can create an account on mybmv and view your own information.

(I don't have any unpaid tickets that's just an example.

It's. One of thier damn business. I'm also not of fsn of cops running plates durning traffic stops.

If I'm speeding that has nothing to do with the vehicle I'm in. Scan my plate if you suspect the car is stolen.

Ummm...yeah, it's exactly their damn business. Not a fan of cops running plates during traffic stops? :):

Much like officers who pull you over for speeding and take your gun to go run the numbers to see if it's stolen.

Not cool.

Yeah, that's a separate issue.

That why I plan to either build or buy a lic plate frame that will block the camera from reading my plate.

Good luck with that.

***Edit***
    Yes I know I went full tin foil hat with my rant. Esp since you can Google my lic number and get my address bc it's my ham radio lic

This might be one of the most contradictory posts that I've ever seen. If you are truly worried about your privacy, the last thing that you should do is put your name and address on your license plate, which is basically what you have done with an amateur radio callsign plate.

:n00b:

Regardless.....73. :)

Top Bottom