• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    My brother in law purchased a SCCY a couple years ago. He liked it enough he sent both his kids to the store to get one of their own. They all really like the trigger and how it shoots. I've never shot it, but the SCCY feels much more ergonomic in my hand than anything I've seen from Hi-Point.
    --Rick

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously that says they like the trigger on a SCCY. It is absolutely the worst trigger on any gun that size anywhere. Crap.

For $200 you can get a Taurus PT111 G2 and its trigger is tons better than the SCCY.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I will probably get flamed for this, but....if I were you, I would get a Star BM. Check out Southern Gun Company or Classic Firearms (both online). The BM is an all-steel, single-stack, 9mm. Solid firearm. I shot one a few months back. Great fun!

I can't imagine anyone flaming you for something Tim on the Military Arms Channel has endorsed.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Sorry, but I can't take anyone seriously that says they like the trigger on a SCCY. It is absolutely the worst trigger on any gun that size anywhere. Crap.

For $200 you can get a Taurus PT111 G2 and its trigger is tons better than the SCCY.

I second the millenium g2. It's tough to beat for a cheap pistol. The rear sight needs to have it's set screw checked weekly, but other than that mine was solid. Lots of kydex holsters out for it too.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Neither. Buy a S&W SD9VE or the newer version of the SD9. I saw them used at Bradis for $250. Mags are cheap and everwhere. You can easily upgrade later with M&P sights. Mine may be for sale soon. Then again I might bury it somewhere in case of the Apocalypse.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Neither. Buy a S&W SD9VE or the newer version of the SD9. I saw them used at Bradis for $250. Mags are cheap and everwhere. You can easily upgrade later with M&P sights. Mine may be for sale soon. Then again I might bury it somewhere in case of the Apocalypse.

I've never had one myself, but folks who's opinion I trust routinely recommend this as an inexpensive carry gun.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    C’mon man, you can afford $200 a week, and can’t put off a purchase for a week or two to get something better quality? The SCCY warranty may be unbeatable, but if you have to use it, the ****ing gun has failed! Since you can’t put off instant gratification for a better gun, how are you to put off self defense /home defense whilst waiting on the unbeatable warranty to get your gun back to you! Me thinks your priorities are skewed?

INGarand

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2014
    Buffaloville
    I bought the wife a SCCY in 9mm, nice gun but the trigger pull is so heavy she can't pull the trigger with one finger. I have shot it and the pull is so heavy I have trouble keeping the sight on target. There are aftermarket spring kits that are made to lighten the pull.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    stay away from hi point. sccy seems to be "good enough" according to people i have talked to and I trust. but like so many others have said there are better choices for only slightly more money. Some that I currently own that were <$300 and I trust.

ruger 9e ($300 new). It is a sr9 minus a couple of features. I gave that to the fiancee when she was living alone if that tells you anything.

next I have a taurus 24/7 oss tactical ($215 used). It is my car gun for when I am not* in chicago. So cheap it's not a big loss but shoots well. Both are full size guns with >1000 rounds from me and 0 issues.

naa 22 mag w/ folding grip ($100 used). I love this thing and it's so small you can take it anywhere and it look like a pocket knife clipped in your pocket. but you can't aim worth a crap, it sucks to shoot, and it's a 5 shot. reloading requires you to take the cylinder completely out.

I would also wait for holiday sales. There are always good deals to be had. That's when I tend to do my shopping. I also have cash in hand. You never know when a buddy needs diaper money or a bill past due. I try not to take advantage of people like that, but if you offer me a gun I want or need dirt cheap and you set the price, I'll jump on it.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    +1 USMC for offering advice consistent with the original poster's request. Budget doesn't have to mean "bad". It's wise to seek help when you don't have a lot of $, and to spend what you have wisely. You can always upgrade when you come into some pennies. I wait for holidays too- especially online. Looking around at used guns doesn't hurt either.

Clownfish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2018
    Austin
    Thanks everyone for the help! A guy I work with sold me a nice Ruger Sr9c for 100 bucks. He needed gas money for work so I jumped on it. I have put 700 rounds in it and love it wit a 1.5 inch grouping at 15 yards now I just need a holster I can comfortably wear all day im going today to pick up a tuckable I was told their the best for all day wear!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Right on. Not sure what kind of tuckable holster you plan to get. My advise would be stay away for anything like those Uncle Mikes nylon holsters with the plastic belt clip. There have been MANY people who have lost guns/dropped guns with cheapo holsters. Make sure whatever you end up with its good quality and will hold the gun securely. Enjoy the SR9

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    keep saving you money for a reliable fire arm

Wrong answer. OP has requested help and the SCCY is a reliable handgun. My wife uses a SCCY CPX-1 as her every day carry. It's lightweight and has 10 rounds of 9mm. It is a little snappy due to the lightweight. The worst part is the long trigger pull but she has trained a lot with it and is very good with it. It is reliable (ignore the gun snobs). However it costs around $240 and the new Ruger EC9s is about the same price. She's actually going to get an EC9s instead since she likes the trigger better and it's a little thinner for concealment. So you might want to check out the EC9s (my first choice in your price range), 2nd choice would be the SCCY CPX-1. Hope that helps.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wrong answer. OP has requested help and the SCCY is a reliable handgun. My wife uses a SCCY CPX-1 as her every day carry. It's lightweight and has 10 rounds of 9mm. It is a little snappy due to the lightweight. The worst part is the long trigger pull but she has trained a lot with it and is very good with it. It is reliable (ignore the gun snobs). However it costs around $240 and the new Ruger EC9s is about the same price. She's actually going to get an EC9s instead since she likes the trigger better and it's a little thinner for concealment. So you might want to check out the EC9s (my first choice in your price range), 2nd choice would be the SCCY CPX-1. Hope that helps.
    Reading back, OP already got a used Ruger, and didn’t have to deal with the trash trigger on the Sicky. While it MAY be yours is reliable, others have found that the 300# trigger made it not a reliable pistol if you can’t hit anything outside of three feet.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Many people seem to hate the heavy trigger pull on the SCCY. I thought it was about like shooting most any revolver I've ever shot from DA. Can't be all that bad, my 17yo daughter can handle it and in fact has decided that's what she wants for her first handgun. I'll probably get the lighter spring kit for it to make it a bit smoother. But as for reliability aka going bang everytime you squeeze the trigger they do seem to do that. Just leaves it up to the shooter to train with it and become proficient with it.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Reading back, OP already got a used Ruger, and didn’t have to deal with the trash trigger on the Sicky. While it MAY be yours is reliable, others have found that the 300# trigger made it not a reliable pistol if you can’t hit anything outside of three feet.

If you can't hit anything outside of 3 feet then you might want to get your eyes checked or buy a Judge. I agree the SCCY trigger is not the best and that's why I suggested the EC9s. Glad he got the SR9c that's my EDC.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Great choice! And great deal! I hope thibgs great better for your buddy but atleast now he can make it until next payday hopefully.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the help! A guy I work with sold me a nice Ruger Sr9c for 100 bucks. He needed gas money for work so I jumped on it. I have put 700 rounds in it and love it wit a 1.5 inch grouping at 15 yards now I just need a holster I can comfortably wear all day im going today to pick up a tuckable I was told their the best for all day wear!

Nice price on what should be a reliable gun. Glad it worked out.

Right on. Not sure what kind of tuckable holster you plan to get. My advise would be stay away for anything like those Uncle Mikes nylon holsters with the plastic belt clip. There have been MANY people who have lost guns/dropped guns with cheapo holsters. Make sure whatever you end up with its good quality and will hold the gun securely. Enjoy the SR9

Hybrid IWB holsters are my favorite, leather backing and kydex molded to the gun.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Crossbreed supertuck. Buy once, cry once. I swear by mine.

I actually prefer the Galco King Tuk (and have owned several of them as well as a Crossbreed). The Crossbreed I have was purchased as there was not a King Tuk with a dedicated fit for the Glock 43 when I bought it, and so I got a Mini Tuk from Crossbreed seconds. When the King Tuk was later released for the 43, I picked one up. Between the Galco, and the Crossbreed, my experience is the Galco has better retention (even after the hair dryer trick) and the leather on the Galco while very comfortable was not as floppy as that on the Crossbreed which also made for better retention, especially in certain situations.

I've got King Tuks for everything I carry.

That said, to each their own.

I will say this, if one is thinking of buying a Crossbreed, check out https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/ and see if they have what you are looking for and potentially save some $$. The Crosbreed is a good holster, I just like the King Tuk a bit better.

Top Bottom