• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm an AR guy but I'm getting the itch for a bolt gun. I think I'd like to try my hand at some longer range shooting. Is the Remington 700 in .308 the standard? I see there are a ton of options with that model alone. Let's say the budget is around $1000 for the rifle.

im also intrigued by the ruger scout. I know that one isn't a so much a long range rifle in so much as a jack of all trades.

Thoughts?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Buy a savage 10T in 308. The new Remington has fallen off the wagon unless you want to spend a lot money to make them right.

ETA: $1000 for just the rifle without optic? The savage 10 HS precision model will run circles around the new Remy 700

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Take a look at the Ruger American. Only shot it in 44Mag. I was impressed with its shootability, the ease of its action and its accuracy for a stock rifle. I use a Mossberg 1500 in 30-06 for deer hunting.Mine is made by Howa. Great rifle. Very accurate. I would recommend a Howa to anyone. My hunting partner loves the CZ bolt-actions. I think he owns one in every caliber that the made. He loves the set trigger of the CZ. Me.. Not so much.

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I have a Rem 700 Police 308 and have shot a couple five inch groups at 500 yards with it. They are quality bot guns considering the price in my opinion. You should also consider the new Ruger RPR though - I have heard great things about it and it should be in your price range.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You should also consider the Ruger Precision Rifle. You get a lot of rifle for you money and it can be had for right around $1,000. Maybe a touch over your budget but it would be worth it. Should be under $1100 out the door if you find the right price.

GeorgiaBoy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Buy a savage 10T in 308. The new Remington has fallen off the wagon unless you want to spend a lot money to make them right.

ETA: $1000 for just the rifle without optic? The savage 10 HS precision model will run circles around the new Remy 700
    Savage is the way to go

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    What's the intended use? What kind of distance do you have access to? Is the $1,000 for the rifle only? Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to .308? How precise do you want/need to be?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I'd like to offer my story as a warning.

I went with a nice Rem 700 in .308. It's a great shooting gun with a heavy, fluted, stainless barrel (so it's pretty). After a year and just over 1000 rounds through it, I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable with the whole process of shooting it. I really love this rifle.

It's getting to the point though where I'm starting to question if the group size is still a function of human error, or am I starting to reach the accuracy limits of the rifle? My next step? I'm looking at a new barrel, which would go off to a gunsmith to be chambered, threaded, and installed on my action. There is no way I would do that without having the factory action trued. I think you see where this is going...

For the money I will end up with in this gun, I probably could have chosen a rifle that had all this stuff done already and been time and money ahead.

Choose wisely.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If you don't reload this past 300yd stuff is probably going to be nothing more than casual fun.

Have had good luck with tweaking sporter 700's to half inchers. Good enough for chucks and yotes to 400

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    What's the intended use? What kind of distance do you have access to? Is the $1,000 for the rifle only? Is there a reason you're limiting yourself to .308? How precise do you want/need to be?

i picked 308 because it a common caliber that's always available. And even though I'm not a hunter, I do have relatives in other states that are, so that's always a possibility.

im just looking for something new to try. Maybe something to hit paper at 600-800 yards. If I get could get away with glass and rifle for a grand that would be great but I know how pricey optics can be.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    i picked 308 because it a common caliber that's always available. And even though I'm not a hunter, I do have relatives in other states that are, so that's always a possibility.

im just looking for something new to try. Maybe something to hit paper at 600-800 yards. If I get could get away with glass and rifle for a grand that would be great but I know how pricey optics can be.

Buy a Ruger American in 6.5 Creedmoor then do a review on it so I can decide whether or not to buy one. :): In all seriousness the 6.5CM is the new 308 only a little better.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

600-800 is a good goal to have. "Environmentals" become more important the further out you try to go. Investing in a good Kestrel weather meter will go a long way to helping your cause if you don't have one already. A strong spotting scope is necessary at those distances as well to be able to see where (if) you impacted on target. If you don't reload, then you're stuck with whatever you can find/afford. 175gr FGMM is a popular choice in .308, but there are other match grade options. I've shot Remy's and Savages and haven't seen a difference on paper. With either manufacturer, I would spring for ones with the HS Precision or similar stocks. The 700P's are good. 700 5R's are good. The Savage Model 10 and 12 lines with the HS stocks are good.

Optics is a whole other discussion.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Wrong. 308 disappears fast at election time as does most ammo with the exception of 243,270 and 30-06. I found those on the shelf every time I looked for ammo. My first 700 was a 30-06. If you are planning on getting a 308 rifle, stock up a bit. Or do as I do, reload. But get your brass, powders and primers now.

I am a 700 fan. I have bought 700's over the years. I have had issue with 2 700's that were of the same type and caliber. They do have a quality control issue with some versions. But look at Marlin and some other guns. Remington does have great CS and promptly fixes and returns guns usually with out question.

One of the things that sold me on the 700 action was the availability of aftermarket upgrades. Barrels triggers stocks of all kinds. And the fact they are American made. I like my 700's my second choice would probably be a Winchester Model 70.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Rem 700 Police to start. You can add everything depending on your budget.

Hint- You can also get the Rem 700 Police in .338 Lapua Magnum. :faint: If you can afford the ammo...

Top Bottom