• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    First off, I'm not who you should listen to for long range advice... That being said, I opted for a Savage model 10 FCP-SR over a 700. I have no hands on time with a 700, but I fell in love with the Savages. I have several rifles in 308, so 308 was a good choice for me. I bought a reloader at the same time, so I was trying to become more efficient too. While I love the 308 round, it stands to be a compromise when you are shooting way out there. I don't shoot THAT far, nor do I have a place to do that, so I was fine with 308. I have no regrets opting for 308. If I had no 308's in the safe, I'd probably have opted for a different caliber, probably 6.5CM. Again, take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a long range guy, but if you build/buy a long range rifle to be your "long range rifle", another caliber might be a better fit (assuming you reload).
    As far as finding ammo on the shelves during SHTF (aka Hitlary winning the election) I wouldnt count on 308 either. in times of dire ammo shortages I always saw 270, 22-250, and some other random rifle caliber that didnt help me. Better stock up......

I'd take a hard look at the Ruger RPR, its pretty sexy.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    .308 was always available at Walmart post 2008 election and post sandy hook. That and .40s&w

too late now :)

There wasn't any 308 or .223 around these parts from about a month before the 2012 election until quite a while after. I'd seriously think about grabbing some 308 while you can.

Let us know how you like the new rifle. Congrats on the purchase!

Rem 700 Police to start. You can add everything depending on your budget.

Hint- You can also get the Rem 700 Police in .338 Lapua Magnum. :faint: If you can afford the ammo...

I looked at the price of 338 Lapua when I bought my 300wm. It's worse then my 50bmg. My cousin as a 700 in a 416 Ruger. It's recoil isn't for the faint of heart. And it's hard to find ammo for. I bought a couple hundred rounds of brass and a hundred rounds of loaded 300wm when I bought the gun. So I am GTG for a while on it. It's about 2 dollars around off the shelf. I like the 30-06 for price. About a buck a round. i have thousands of rounds. I have a fair amount of 308 and .223/5.56. I am good for a while on most of the ammo I use. Rifle and hand gun. Plan ahead!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    First off, I'm not who you should listen to for long range advice... That being said, I opted for a Savage model 10 FCP-SR over a 700. I have no hands on time with a 700, but I fell in love with the Savages. I have several rifles in 308, so 308 was a good choice for me. I bought a reloader at the same time, so I was trying to become more efficient too. While I love the 308 round, it stands to be a compromise when you are shooting way out there. I don't shoot THAT far, nor do I have a place to do that, so I was fine with 308. I have no regrets opting for 308. If I had no 308's in the safe, I'd probably have opted for a different caliber, probably 6.5CM. Again, take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a long range guy, but if you build/buy a long range rifle to be your "long range rifle", another caliber might be a better fit (assuming you reload).
    As far as finding ammo on the shelves during SHTF (aka Hitlary winning the election) I wouldnt count on 308 either. in times of dire ammo shortages I always saw 270, 22-250, and some other random rifle caliber that didnt help me. Better stock up......

I'd take a hard look at the Ruger RPR, its pretty sexy.

Hey Paul. Hows it going? How did those pics turn of from when you were here?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have shot it. It seems fine. The only thing I notice is the primers are crimped. An extra step if you are going to reload. The OAL was to short to feed correctly in my belt fed. Not an issue for you. It should do you well. I don't know where you are located but of you are close to South Bend I'd let you try some. I have about 60 or so rounds left.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you are limited to wally world for ammo and you can find ZQI buy that! It was 9.99 a box and shoots very well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    First Look: POF-USA ReVolt Bolt-Action Rifle - Guns & Ammo
    MSRP is $1,400 so probably $1,000 street price.

revolt1-660x245.jpg

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Hey Paul. Hows it going? How did those pics turn of from when you were here?
    Pictures turned out well. I left with a new understanding of the weight of a 50BMG! That thing is a beast! FWIW I bought a new sten tripping lever and will be messing with that soon hopefully (maybe today..). I wanna get it painted asap, it rusts looking at it. Your new 700 from AllenM looks awesome too btw!

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Took her out today to point blank. I am aware that 25 yards ain't much for a .308, but Nikon makes a handy app for their scopes that allows you to adjust distance for whatever zero you choose.

Anyhoo, I didn't have any functional issues and was able to adjust the scope to where the app said to be. I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil. Definitely gonna raid some Walmarts and then hopefully head out to a 100yard+ range in the near future.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I know, I am late to the party but you could have built a upper for one of your ARs in 6.5 Grendel. They are shooting it out to 1000 yards using a 24" barrel.

One guy with a 16" barrelled AR in 6.5 Grendel was hitting a 12" plate 3 out of five times at 1000 yards. It is a very accurate and shootable round.

If you have any questions about the round go to the 6.5 Grendel site. They have all the information you could ask for on the round and rifles that use it.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Guess I'll be going down to Wally World tomorrow and buy a few hundred.

anyone have experience with perfecta? I found the 9mm to be just fine for target shooting.

It's not target ammo, but we have been getting 800 yard hits on steel with it, thru the M1A rifles. Don't listen to all the poo-pooing over the Rem700 either, know of several folks that have the newer models and they have all worked without fail. I know you got the Savage and nothing is wrong with them either.

delphigto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2016
    Walton
    The Remington 700 police is still a decent gun. Should be able to pick one up for under 900 without optics. The other 700s heard of a lot of quality issues lately. Like a lot of people on here I'm also a fan of savage.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I have a 2 Remington 700s .308 and 22-250 I can hold sub moa groups at 100 with both and I don't have a ton of experience with scoped rifles. I recently saw a Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creedmore shoot almost 1/4 MOA. The key is to develop a proper load. My 700, Marlin in .308 and Ruger 6.5Creedmore all stock barrels were shooting .5-3/4 MOA groups after developing a proper load for the rifle.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Whats a good bolt action in 308 for a guy who only owns ar15s? Try my hand at shooting farther than 200-300 yards

A D USMC, we shot 500 yards, with an M-16 .....

At Camp Perry Oh., they shoot 600 yards, with AR's .....

I guess I don't understand the purpose of the question ......

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Some of the comments about AR's would be relevant if the Op wasn't looking for a bolt gun. When you want a bolt gun you buy a bolt gun :-) I understand the want, and the want to have several type actions. I have everything from a single shot bolt action to a belt fed. It's all fun and good!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I own many rifles, and several bolt guns, and I have sold a few more. I like Remington, and the only Savage 10 I ever owned is no longer with me.

The Savage is a good system, but it has faults. The trigger arrangement, exposed sear reset, and antiquated crappy stamping of the trigger assembly are poor. The floating bolt head in front of a belleville washer, and the barrel nut system are extremely advantageous. Easily swapped bolt handles, and a design that is NOT prone to breaking the dern handle loose like the Remington...rounds out a nice action. Unfortunately, the casting of the bolt heads at the factory continues to cause problesm due to ductility of the material under bolt thrust...short story: the bolt head's surface can actually CUP behind the primer enough to eventually cause issues with primers backing out. Aftermarket support for Savage is better than it once was, but is an order of magnitude lesser than is that of Remington. Too, the ability to get parts anywhere in the world, or even HERE, is much much tougher for a Savage rifle than a Remington, because Remington will still sell parts to the public (despite the fact that both companies will happily sell you an entire ACTION...never understood that irony). Savage barrels, despite internal finish issues from time-to-time. are historically extremely accurate tubes...for at least 20 shots (joke). Savage's new-ish "Accutrigger" is a much-deserved improvement to the system, though it is a little less crisp than I like...triggers, by my way of thinking, either need to predictably ROLL, or they need to predictably SNAP...not some in-between. In-between is a sign of junk.

Remington, as stated, is the most commonly used bolt action in the world right now. Just about ANY place, you can get parts, and get aftermarket support for them. Their bolts are very very strong, being machined from steel, and if you get a good action, they shoot straight. That being said, due to the fixed bolt head, and actions that are rarely as straight as a Savage in the first place, they sometimes more performance issues out of the box. The bolt handle can literally break off in your hand if you run the bolt too hard, and they are best when reinforced by a good TIG man, and/or drilling/tapping the bolt body THROUGH the bolt handle, and mechanically securing it with a socket head cap screw; you also cannot change bolt handles very easily/cheaply. Remington's original Walker/40X trigger is VERY good for a factory trigger, despite what the lawsuits may say, and with some work by an experienced smith, can perform on par with nearly any stock 2-lever trigger in the world; that being said, if you want a different trigger, you only have about 50 options from $100 through $500, and single, single set, or two stage triggers are available. Barrels on Remington's are decent, historically of better internal finish than Savage (though they both pretty much suck), and can be very accurate, but where Savage's lawyers got ahold of their parts and trigger departments, Remington's lawyers got hold of the chamber reamers, and made them all about 0.100" too long in the throat for any factory ammo available.

I personally like the Remington's safety design better than the Savage's tang safety, but that's personal preference, and neither one should be trusted. If you want a safe bolt rifle, take the round out of the chamber. If you want a saf-er bolt rifle, then leave the round in the chamber, but bolt handle up. Otherwise, any action with a straight-line firing mechanism is not to be trusted with a mechanical safety, unless they have a physical block on the pin sear like a Winchester 70 or a CZ.

I like a LOT of things about Savage, but Remington is better overall, even if i don't like their politics or ads or the fact that they hold us all under the boot heel of their popularity and budget.

But truly, if the Winchester 70 could have been made with an another 1/4" longer barrel tennon, a more easily changed/lighter trigger, and been made cost-effective while retaining the non-tubular design, then neither of the Savington actions would have had a chance. It's that much better, even in push-feed.

-Nate

Top Bottom