• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ive been putting this off for a few years but thanks to a neighbor giving somebody permission to hunt on my property I have a renewed interest in getting my property lines surveyed. When we bought it, they marked the corners, but since then the adjacent property has changed hands. We had one incident about it when they first moved in and it wound up cordial. But I think we must still have a misunderstanding.

So I'm looking for an idea of what others have paid (23 acres)?

If youve used somebody around Bedford, who did you use?

I'm assuming there's several types of surveys, reports, markings, etc. that can be requested. What should I ask for?

There's a fence that runs along the line--sorta. It is not continuous and I think part is over on my neighbor and part is on me--what about adverse possession?

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Figure around a $500-1K for a survey and get a plat and have them mark the corners

I'd say forget about the fence and try and get a good lay of the land, what is is, what was was..

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Do you remember how they marked the corners at the last survey?

Sometimes they drive a spike (big nail) in the ground and it gets covered up over the years, but you may be able to find it with a metal detector.

If you have it surveyed again have them use something easier to find like rebar or a fence post.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do you remember how they marked the corners at the last survey?

Sometimes they drive a spike (big nail) in the ground and it gets covered up over the years, but you may be able to find it with a metal detector.

If you have it surveyed again have them use something easier to find like rebar or a fence post.

I remember seeing the flourescent flags in the corners, but I'm not sure if they used pins/rebar/pipe, etc. You're right, I want to be able to find them myself from now on.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Interesting. Is that something I'd request/pay the surveyor do? More info?
    Generally they way we do it is have the Surveyor come and mark the exact corner points and split the costs 50/50 with the other property owners to have to posts planted. we try to use posts that are at least 12"x12" planted at roughly 4 feet in the ground with 6 feet of post above ground.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Generally they way we do it is have the Surveyor come and mark the exact corner points and split the costs 50/50 with the other property owners to have to posts planted. we try to use posts that are at least 12"x12" planted at roughly 4 feet in the ground with 6 feet of post above ground.

Gotcha. I've got one of those at one corner...looks to be a limestone cull at about the dimensions you mentioned.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    I'd definitely get it surveyed. I owned some property (a little over 3 acres) in the lower Sierras many years ago, and before I bought it I had it resurveyed just to make sure of the property boundaries. I had them add more stakes every 50 yards or so, so that there would be no questions later.

It's a good thing that I did, we ended up with a neighbor who was a nutcase and an alcoholic, who did such things as "bug spray" her ENTIRE 4 acres. We were in the woods, she was going to accomplish what?

She went and had her land resurveyed and then claimed to own part of ours as well. She claimed that the driveway that we shared (the property line went down the middle of it) clear over into the corral that I'd had built to put the horses in was instead, HER property. That also included our well, and well house, and part of our garage. Ummmm....NO! I pulled out the papers showing when we'd had ours resurveyed and the man she used was the guy behind us who had called several times, and left "death threats" regarding our dogs on our answering machine. As well as had come over and opened the gate to the back yard where the dogs were, so they could get out and run off. Fortunately our dogs were trained NOT to do that. They did bite him once, and his claim that we had "vicious" dogs fell flat. HE was trespassing on OUR property, aggravating OUR dogs. Case closed! He calculated the property lines wrong, (intentionally) and we took him to court over it. We won, and she had to back off.

But it paid off that I'd gone to the extra trouble and expense to have our land surveyed a 2nd time, that's what won our case for us. The surveyor got fired in the process, for prejudice and bias. That matter was solved, but she caused more headaches for the rest of the time we lived there.

Just as an example, she reported us to the police for having a truck on our property for over 24 hours, loaded with hashish and at least several hundred lbs of Pot. So she just KNEW we were drug dealers! The LEOs came out, looked at what she was claiming was illegal, and told her that if she made any more false reports, they were going to arrest HER, for being a public nuisance! The truck in question, was a horse trailer. The hashish were "road apples", and the Pot was a bale of alfalfa hay used for feeding while the horse was being trailered. I mean really? Seriously? She was a certified nutjob! These were only a few of the stunts she tried to pull while we lived there. I loved the house, the area, and the woods surrounding our house, but living across the driveway from her ruined it all and we finally sold, and moved back to the Bay Area. Welcome to California!

Good luck, and as I said, I'd definitely recommend going the extra mile to have it surveyed so that there can be no question as to what you do, or don't own. And so that no one else can claim ownership of what is legally and rightfully yours!

Last edited:

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Interesting. Is that something I'd request/pay the surveyor do? More info?

I doubt the surveyor would do it, but it's something that you could easily do yourself with a "post hole digger", or hire a handyman (check the help needed, or skills for hire at the top of the Break Room Threads) to do it. It probably wouldn't cost that much, and you'd be helping out a fellow INGOer.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I doubt the surveyor would do it, but it's something that you could easily do yourself with a "post hole digger", or hire a handyman (check the help needed, or skills for hire at the top of the Break Room Threads) to do it. It probably wouldn't cost that much, and you'd be helping out a fellow INGOer.

No reason that a surveying / engineering company wouldn't do it...provided it was part of the bid.

The county surveyor...probably not.

-J-

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If you know who did the last survey, you can ask them how much they would charge to update it. I did this with rural property and the quote was about $200 as I recall.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    ^^^ This is an excellent idea to try first.^^^ If not give Foresight Land Surverying in Brownstown a call 812-358-4170. Daniel Blann is a good guy to work with and will be fair and resonable on his price. You shouldn't have to have the whole parcel re-surveyed since the survey done in recent years should have had pins placed. What you really need is a surveyor to find those pins so you can make permenant markers or more visible markers. Like the saying goes, good fences make good neighbors. Fix the problem now before it becomes a lot bigger problem in the furture. Just my :twocents:.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Time to update this old thread…

Folks, you’re not doing yourself our your neighbor any favors by not knowing your property lines and enforcing them.

I’ll skip all the nitty-gritty stuff—The neighbor decided that me not pressing the issue on honoring the property line meant her erroneous reading of her deed allowed her to take over parts of my property.

Come to find out there was already a survey of her property on file at the court house. I hired a surveyor to confirm the property line and find the pins from the previous surveyor. (The previous surveyor was contacted but had retired). The neighbor…to say the least…was not happy when the pins were uncovered and marked. (One of them was missing and had to be reset).

Then came the quiet title case, lawyer’s fees, court costs, newspaper legal notification costs, oh…and the waiting…and waiting.

This past Friday the new fence got finished and cell-game cameras have been set up to monitor the property line.

Know where your property lines are…and enforce them.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

Folks, you’re not doing yourself our your neighbor any favors by not knowing your property lines and enforcing them.

I’ll skip all the nitty-gritty stuff—The neighbor decided that me not pressing the issue on honoring the property line meant her erroneous reading of her deed allowed her to take over parts of my property.

Come to find out there was already a survey of her property on file at the court house. I hired a surveyor to confirm the property line and find the pins from the previous surveyor. (The previous surveyor was contacted but had retired). The neighbor…to say the least…was not happy when the pins were uncovered and marked. (One of them was missing and had to be reset).

Then came the quiet title case, lawyer’s fees, court costs, newspaper legal notification costs, oh…and the waiting…and waiting.

This past Friday the new fence got finished and cell-game cameras have been set up to monitor the property line.

So… 12 years later?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Interesting. How much land was in dispute and did the neighbor build on it, etc? I'm just curious why someone would fight it if the survey of her property that was on file and surveyor, etc were all indicating that she was mistaken.

How long did the process take?

Top Bottom