• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting. How much land was in dispute and did the neighbor build on it, etc? I'm just curious why someone would fight it if the survey of her property that was on file and surveyor, etc were all indicating that she was mistaken.
    I’m guessing an acre or so.

This could have been avoided if I’d have gotten off my butt in 2011 and had gotten everything settled then. The current neighbor didn’t move in until 2014.

That’s why I’m telling people to not do what I did—that is not taking care of your business.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I remember seeing the flourescent flags in the corners, but I'm not sure if they used pins/rebar/pipe, etc. You're right, I want to be able to find them myself from now on.
    Cheap metal detector will get the job done. Also if your adjoining owner is cordial seems like they would be happy to pay for half?

Not wanting to ask personal questions but do you have a mortgage, and title insurance policy.

Could go like this GFGT calls Acme Title insurance and assert the encroachment on your property they will pay for survey Problem solved.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’m guessing an acre or so.

This could have been avoided if I’d have gotten off my butt in 2011 and had gotten everything settled then. The current neighbor didn’t move in until 2014.

That’s why I’m telling people to not do what I did—that is not taking care of your business.
    Gotcha. Easier to define the property line when you have a reasonable neighbor and no active dispute.
    And yes, an acre is a lot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Cheap metal detector will get the job done. Also if your adjoining owner is cordial seems like they would be happy to pay for half?
    LOL…cordial is not even close to the accurate term. When that missing pin got placed by the surveyor, things became down right hostile. She just knew I hired a “buddy” to fake the survey, etc. In fact, that one pin got the surveyor’s ID cap pulled off of it and then pounded in the ground 2-3“ where I couldn’t find it. I had to have the surveyor come back out to locate it again. I could not find it with my cheap metal detector.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    price varies with how hard it is to get to the points.. i paid $2k for 35 acres , but it was high because the county did not have a surveyor in office so points had to be taken from next county over..
    This poster said it right. I have seen bids, on the same property, to survey vary from $1500-$7000. Was the $7000 bid gouging, no, maybe high priced, but the difference was the low bid had just done a survey nearby and already had the data for most of the reference points, knew all the monuments were already set, so he could do it efficiently.

FYI in many counties the surveyors are required to set permanent markers in concrete, usually in the roads as they go about your survey if they do not exist. The monuments are often removed by construction or even snow plows. To do a staked survey they usually start at section corners and narrow it down from there to the property they were hired to survey.

Shop around, look for a surveyor that has done nearby properties…

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    LOL…cordial is not even close to the accurate term. When that missing pin got placed by the surveyor, things became down right hostile. She just knew I hired a “buddy” to fake the survey, etc. In fact, that one pin got the surveyor’s ID cap pulled off of it and then pounded in the ground 2-3“ where I couldn’t find it. I had to have the surveyor come back out to locate it again. I could not find it with my cheap metal detector.
    Ah ok then all bets would be off. Proceed with your best interest being front and center.

we had a 4 corner survey done on our new place money well spent. We put in cement pillars at markers 3 feet into ground. Probably a bit excessive but there will not be any doubts in the future.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ah ok then all bets would be off. Proceed with your best interest being front and center.
    Yeah, I think we’re resolved now that the judge’s quiet title decree has been made, her stuff has been moved, and a fence installed. But I won’t be surprised if, sooner or later, if we don’t have to fix it again.

I know you live in TN and my brother tells me things are different there—regarding adverse possession, etc.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Yeah, I think we’re resolved now that the judge’s quiet title decree has been made, her stuff has been moved, and a fence installed. But I won’t be surprised if, sooner or later, if we don’t have to fix it again.

I know you live in TN and my brother tells me things are different there—regarding adverse possession, etc.
    Yes I believe things are different here, perhaps not in a bad way. Property rights are a serious thing down here. Especially in some areas when you breach the Purple things can get real bad right quick and in a hurry.

Glad you were able to get it worked out.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This poster said it right. I have seen bids, on the same property, to survey vary from $1500-$7000. Was the $7000 bid gouging, no, maybe high priced, but the difference was the low bid had just done a survey nearby and already had the data for most of the reference points, knew all the monuments were already set, so he could do it efficiently.

FYI in many counties the surveyors are required to set permanent markers in concrete, usually in the roads as they go about your survey if they do not exist. The monuments are often removed by construction or even snow plows. To do a staked survey they usually start at section corners and narrow it down from there to the property they were hired to survey.

Shop around, look for a surveyor that has done nearby properties…
    Yeah, seems like he first established/confirmed the locations of 3 quarter section monuments (set by the county surveyor) and then based the survey from those.

The neighbor’s previous survey was done in 2002 (IIRC) before GPS. My surveyor used a GPS receiver and he found the previous one was pretty much on the money.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Circa 2002, ~ 1/4acre lot, modern sub-division, four corners marked =$400.
    Circa 2012, ~ 1/3acre lot, modern sub-division, four corners marked =$500.
    Circa 2018, 5acre lot, heavily wooded with ravines and creeks, four corners marked =$2500. But it was going to be 6-9 months before the engineers could complete the survey so I passed as there was no pressing need. I have posts along all four sides every-so-many feet. All neighbors seem to agree they're accurate. But the posts are so disparate from the GIS that I'm concerned. I wouldn't use the GIS to build a fence or structure. But I've used GIS professionally many times over the years and have never seen such a significant difference. Still no pressing need, however.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Circa 2002, ~ 1/4acre lot, modern sub-division, four corners marked =$400.
    Circa 2012, ~ 1/3acre lot, modern sub-division, four corners marked =$500.
    Circa 2018, 5acre lot, heavily wooded with ravines and creeks, four corners marked =$2500. But it was going to be 6-9 months before the engineers could complete the survey so I passed as there was no pressing need. I have posts along all four sides every-so-many feet. All neighbors seem to agree they're accurate. But the posts are so disparate from the GIS that I'm concerned. I wouldn't use the GIS to build a fence or structure. But I've used GIS professionally many times over the years and have never seen such a significant difference. Still no pressing need, however.
    I asked my surveyor about using (the site here in Lawrence County is) Elevate to locate the lines. I can tell you one corners on mine is off by feet, like 10 ft. He said he’s seen it pretty close and off by a considerable amount. I wouldn’t depend on it if I were building a new building close to the property line.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A friend bought a place that the family that owned it had paid taxes on 24 acres for 70 years, when he surveyed it before buying it was 22 acres, the family was upset but never had it surveyed to find out. He reduced the price by 2 acres…

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I asked my surveyor about using (the site here in Lawrence County is) Elevate to locate the lines. I can tell you one corners on mine is off by feet, like 10 ft. He said he’s seen it pretty close and off by a considerable amount. I wouldn’t depend on it if I were building a new building close to the property line.
    Yeah, I've seen them off by what seems like a considerable distance. But in this case we're talking 'neighbors drive is on my property' kinda difference. Actually, by appearance, all of the posts seem off by more than I would have expected. I'm kinda torn. We're all getting along, so I don't wanna rock the boat. If there really is a large difference between the current posts and a new survey (I request and pay for), It might get awkward.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yeah, I've seen them off by what seems like a considerable distance. But in this case we're talking 'neighbors drive is on my property' kinda difference. Actually, by appearance, all of the posts seem off by more than I would have expected. I'm kinda torn. We're all getting along, so I don't wanna rock the boat. If there really is a large difference between the current posts and a new survey (I request and pay for), It might get awkward.
    That is why it is best to bite the bullet and get it before you are neighbors and friends…

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That’s rough. Or it could get that way. All I can tell you is my experience and letting things go unsettled for the length of time that I did just made for harder feelings than it might have had I stepped up sooner.

You might consider having that one line double checked to confirm or alleviate your concerns. If the neighbor ever decides to sell, the next neighbor might not be so friendly.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A friend bought a place that the family that owned it had paid taxes on 24 acres for 70 years, when he surveyed it before buying it was 22 acres, the family was upset but never had it surveyed to find out. He reduced the price by 2 acres…
    My actual acreage changed a decimal fraction of an acre from the legal description after the survey was complete. I’m glad it didn‘t change 2 acres :)

Top Bottom