• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Get you a cheap pump of your choice, Mossberg and Remington have some great wallet friendly options. Make a plug for it (dependent on the state your hunting in) then get out and shoot some clays. You don't need a bunch of money invested in a shotgun to hunt birds. Cylinder bore works just fine and will be a great addition to your safe as you can shoot slugs, buck, etc. Pick a cartridge and stick with it through practice and in the field. I personally use a maverick 88 20'' for bird and squirrel.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Used to live in South Dakota and I got to tag along on more then a few pheasant hunts. I killed piles of pheasant with a 20 gauge Benelli Nova with 24" barrel. I used 3" Fiocchi golden pheasant with either #4 or #5 shot and a modified choke. Not long before moving back to IN my wife bought me a Ruger Red Lable 12 gauge. 2.75" 4 or 5 shot with modified over improved cylinder choke.

Not sure what the OPs budget is but a Remington 870 is a great place to start because swapping barrels is easy and the gun is so versatile. But for an upland gun I would invest in a lightweight auto like a browning gold or benelli. Either 12 or 20 gauge is fine. The 20 gauge will be lighter to carry all day.

The locals kill birds with 870s, Ithaca 37s, mossy 500s.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Great ideas. Thank you all.
    I've got a lot to chew on.
    Keep coming with the ideas!

It looks like the Indiana gun club is going to get a visit soon.
    I appreciate your help in getting things narrowed down.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Years ago, I went on an impromptu pheasant hunt at the in-laws in Iowa. After doling out the firearms, the only thing left was a single shot 12 ga. POS that had never been taken into the field (I figured it was some sort of hazing for the future son-in-law :rolleyes:). Out of 10 of us, as eyebrows raised as I bagged the 3 highest count and used less ammo.

My point being, just find a reliable shotty (as several were mentioned) you like. Consider, is it worth a pump vs semi for what you are doing and/will be doing? Pheasant fly in pretty straight paths and you won't need more that 2 shots per bird. Typically, 1 to 2 birds will be flushed out. Now, if you were going after dove, semi is the way to go!

Finally, I can recommend considering asking what gauge ammo everyone will be using. In the field, if someone runs out, you can all share ammo if you all use the same. If you are the oddball with the only 20ga. and run out, you will now be just walking and watching everyone else.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    LOL, run out of ammo... Pfft, I am that guy that never went out without about 2 boxes of shells in my coat.

You really need to try some different guns. A 12 g never bothered me or anyone in my family, but I have been on forums long enough to discover that the recoil is way too much for some guys. Using a pump is cheaper, but you need to get a good base of practice under your belt or you won't be automatically cycling the action after every shot. I got an 870 for my 12th Christmas and grew up shooting hundreds of rounds a year through it. So it became automatic after awhile. I hunted more with a Rem 1100 than anything else as I got older.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    LOL, run out of ammo... Pfft, I am that guy that never went out without about 2 boxes of shells in my coat.
    I always take too much too. Lol. But, there always seems to be that 1 guy who is the master blaster, dropped his ammo somewhere, or left it in the truck.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I second and third and fourth the suggestion for a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge. I have a 1187 in 20 gauge and it is a gem, yet still tough. I have dove hunted with it and it worked awesome and always has.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Given that you haven't purchased a shotgun thus far, you may find that shotgun sports aren't your thing. (Hopefully not!)

With that in mind however, maybe start with a functional entry level gun, and see what you think. I love the 870, in 20ga for pheasant and 12ga for geese. While I own nicer shotguns, I prefer to hunt with a gun that I don't have a strong emotional attachment to. I don't want to cry when I accidentally bump into barbed wire or a tree.

If you decide shotgunning is really dang fun (which it is) then you can always buy a fancier gun, and entry level shotguns sell easy.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP I see you are in Indy, MCFG on the Westside shoots Trap every Thurs Night, PM me and we can arrange a meet up on Thurs and I will bring several types of shotgun for you to try out. Nothing like shooting the gun to see what works for you. We can sit here and talk til the Pheasants come home, but mounting the gun and shooting the gun will tell you a heck more.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    OP, there have been several suggestions for a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 and while I agree a pump makes the most sense as a starter shotgun I would suggest a Winchester SXP or a used model 120, 1200, 1300 or 1400 instead. IMO, the prices are very similar but the Winchester will be smoother with better fit and finish. Whatever you end up with make sure it fits you well and points naturally for you.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Won't argue with any of the suggestions given. I am a Browning shotgun snob...so buy a Browning.

That being said; my last shotgun purchase was a Stoeger M3500. It was very inexpensive and functions great! Bought it for a one size fits all field gun (don't want to scratch the Brownings LOL!!) and have found myself using it for clays, as it shoot well for me.

No doubt you can buy better quality for a lot more money; but its a shotgun....I can wear out two or three Stoeger's before meeting the purchase price of a Benelli or Browning.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I second, or third, the fit. The fit and swing of the shotgun is much more important than the brand or even the bore. Add a good fit to some knowledge of chokes and the proper ammo. That's the ticket.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    THIS five times over. My Uncle has a gazillion dollar Perazzi that I can't hit crap with because it just sits wrong.

I had the same problem after spending 1500 on a Benelli. After I got all beat up from a range trip and not hitting a darn thing I sold it. Won't make that mistake again. It was aweful!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    For me the fit was decided when I was a kid. We were a Remington shotgun family. That was all I shot growing up. Now nothing else points quite right for me. I bought a Browning pump in 3 1/2 inch that I used for water fowling and I always felt like I had to aim rather than just pointing.

Top Bottom