• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    That's true, no doubt. And somebody's first time under fire is likely to include some hesitation, denial, or freezing up at the onset and then you're a bit better the next time because you know what to expect and it didn't kill you last time.

But...kids being killed. I don't know if it's cowardice, denial, sensory overload and freezing up...but it's kids being killed. I just can't find any sympathy for the guy/gal if it's true.

If it's true I have to agree. I can't process his reasoning

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I wouldn’t be too hard on the guy.

It takes a lot to run toward death I have seen some of the best hesitate and some that just couldn’t do it.
    Don't believe that training will overcome the fear it may help your confidence but in the end you can do it or you can’t.
    Just grit you teeth look left and right focus on something let the adrenaline build up and say in you head f*$)# it !
    “your gonna die some day let’s go”

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If it's true I have to agree. I can't process his reasoning

I am sure all who have served and been in the **** for real have a deep knowledge of these things. There are other ways to test and prove yourself. Some have and many have not. If you are just collecting a steady pay check looking at retirement fund then find other work. There is no way of knowing if this will ever happen on your watch.
    I am just seriously sad over this. More and more details come out and it is "EPIC" fail on those who are sworn to protect. I was pretty sure it was up the chain from the street LEO so this really hurts.

Wow. Just Wow.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Looking at this in a dispassionate manner: The school was allotted that seat for a resource officer and he accepted that job/task/assignment. He took the assignment and filled that position, eliminating it's availability from other candidates.

I know I don't possess the internal fortitude to be absolutely certain I will always run into danger - that's why I do not seek employment in a role that is relied upon to do just that. When my children are in danger I have no hesitation, when their friends are in danger I get in the middle, when it's an adult I don't know - I hold back and assess the situation before I make any decision to take action. In this instance, there was an active shooter targeting children...I don't understand the actions (or lack of action) of this person and wish we had more details. My limited experience in interacting with officers is that in everything they do they are actively taking in information and evaluating every situation, reacting to every threat in a measured response. I just don't understand this...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If true, this is embarrassing, unfortunate and tragic.

I hope I am never in a position to NEED to protect kids from a gunman but if I am...man...there won't be hesitation and there won't be asking politely.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If true, this is embarrassing, unfortunate and tragic.

I hope I am never in a position to NEED to protect kids from a gunman but if I am...man...there won't be hesitation and there won't be asking politely.

We all know this is true -- of you. We all go through our day believing it is true of all others that wear the badge as well. You know where the OG and I stand with LE. We are still there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I wouldn’t be too hard on the guy.

It takes a lot to run toward death I have seen some of the best hesitate and some that just couldn’t do it.

Logically, I understand that. But I still can't find any sympathy. It's just not in my nature and it's so counter to my personal experience, my expectations of myself and others who take the money to protect others, and my sense of duty and honor that I'd be an absolutely horrible friend to this person if I actually knew them. I'd cut them off because I would feel nothing but anger and disgust at the sight of them. I know this as a fact, not as a hypothetical. And that didn't involve kids and nobody died as a result.

I also know for a fact that I can move toward a shooter to attempt to save others and do what needs to be done. I'm not being a hypocrite in this. Harsh, unfair, judgmental, I'll take all that. But that doesn't change it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I would be very careful about putting too much emphasis on the county sheriffs assessment of anyone involved in this, after his behavior last night at the CNN gun control ambush. :twocents:

If you haven't seen it, go back and view his participation on video.

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Logically, I understand that. But I still can't find any sympathy. It's just not in my nature and it's so counter to my personal experience, my expectations of myself and others who take the money to protect others, and my sense of duty and honor that I'd be an absolutely horrible friend to this person if I actually knew them. I'd cut them off because I would feel nothing but anger and disgust at the sight of them. I know this as a fact, not as a hypothetical. And that didn't involve kids and nobody died as a result.

I also know for a fact that I can move toward a shooter to attempt to save others and do what needs to be done. I'm not being a hypocrite in this. Harsh, unfair, judgmental, I'll take all that. But that doesn't change it.

This sums it up.

I think part of the problem is, these school resource positions, aren't getting the, best and the brightest. The positions are being filled by young guys, trying to get on a PD. I've never known of anyone that had the goal to be a school resource officer, or a reserve somewhere.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No....please do not off yourself. I want you to live a long anguished and painful life over this.

CM.....if there are children at risk then take the leap. You would hope anyone else would for your kids.

I would hope I would have the guts, but I cant guarantee it. I'm honest enough to admit it. He will be in my prayers, that's for sure. I hope that I would do so, and I hope you would all do so if it were my kid, but I wouldnt blame you if you didnt as its not your circus, not your monkeys. (pun intended)

That's true, no doubt. And somebody's first time under fire is likely to include some hesitation, denial, or freezing up at the onset and then you're a bit better the next time because you know what to expect and it didn't kill you last time.

But...kids being killed. I don't know if it's cowardice, denial, sensory overload and freezing up...but it's kids being killed. I just can't find any sympathy for the guy/gal if it's true.

I'd cut him slack if the headline were "officer hesitated before entering school". I wouldnt blame him one bit to take 30 seconds or so to psyche himself up before entering. But reports indicate he waited until after the shooting stopped.

I would be very careful about putting too much emphasis on the county sheriffs assessment of anyone involved in this, after his behavior last night at the CNN gun control ambush. :twocents:

That whole thing was a sh**show. Listening to Dana today, she said she actually had to cut it short and evacuate with the help of her security detail. The peace loving leftists constantly heckled and prevented her from responding, and eventually one (or more) decided that staying in their seat was no longer an option and charging (and jumping up on) the stage was a good idea. She said even getting off the stage was harrowing because the crowd started encroaching on the stage stairs in a hostile manner.
    They're so loving. :rolleyes:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ... or a reserve somewhere.

I will say I've met a few of those. Usually guys who were well established in another career field who also wanted to do the LEO thing. I can understand the desire to serve as an LEO without walking away from a 6 figure salary, vested pension, etc. Especially if you don't know if you'll stick with it long term. Reserves can be a way to dip your toes in without throwing away your existing professional life.

I don't know any SROs, so I'll not comment there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I think that's valid, I'm just treating it as a hypothetical at this point. I'm also not going to watch the video. I can't see anything good coming of me looking into it further, actually, and for that reason I think I'll see myself out of this thread.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I doubt Florida allows civil liability for this. Indiana doesn’t.

I would hope not.
    What is the case that says police have no duty to protect any individual citizen?
    Is it Warren vs District of Columbia?

How could anyone expect to be able to hold a school district responsible if police are not?

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I offer this as Compare / Contrast to the officer's actions ...

I myself am un-tested in this area; but I have walked towards uncertainty at times;
    and based on the men (BB#1 and BB#2 ... yea I am a 3rd) who taught me to stand-up - I think I could ...

AARON FEIS - I found this about him (and added the intro):

I found this in a comment to a post I shared from a page I follow - VERIFIED.

In addition to it - one would come to understand Mr. Feis was a man of faith (in action) and a believer in sound fatherly role models for young men. .... A man who lived his faith and dedication to doing the right thing; regardless of the cost. Here is the original comment:

“It is with Great sadness that our Football Family has learned about the death of Aaron Feis. He was our Assistant Football Coach and security guard. He selflessly shielded students from the shooter when he was shot. He died a hero and he will forever be in our hearts and memories”
    -MS Douglas Football

On his Facebook page Mr. Feis liked the US Concealed Carry Association and Concealed Nation, among many other pro-firearm sites. Although I did not know Mr. Feis, it is clear that he was a supporter of carrying a concealed firearm. The state of Florida does not allow its citizens, who are licensed to carry a concealed firearm, to carry on the campus of a school…even if they are faculty or staff at the school and even if they are a heroic responsible citizen such as Mr. Feis.

Can we just imagine for a minute how the situation might have been different if Mr. Feis was allowed to legally carry his concealed firearm on school grounds? Perhaps Mr. Feis would still be with us today…and perhaps a few less families would be without their child tonight.

Last edited:

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I would hope not.
    What is the case that says police have no duty to protect any individual citizen?
    Is it Warren vs District of Columbia?

How could anyone expect to be able to hold a school district responsible if police are not?

Could also note: VA TECH was found NOT LIABLE for the shooting there by the VA Supreme Court.

Top Bottom