• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I will say I've met a few of those. Usually guys who were well established in another career field who also wanted to do the LEO thing. I can understand the desire to serve as an LEO without walking away from a 6 figure salary, vested pension, etc. Especially if you don't know if you'll stick with it long term. Reserves can be a way to dip your toes in without throwing away your existing professional life.

I don't know any SROs, so I'll not comment there.

I know several. When I first started in LE, no one wanted a SRO job. SROs while part of the PD, were actually more overseen by the city, than the actual PD. They had this weird limbo status. Eventually we started using actual officers to fill those positions at schools... but nobody wanted them, so young officers were put in those position. When I say young, I mean less than 2 years. I though about applying, but I didn't know #$@% about being a cop, I hadn't really seen anything nor was I comfortable doing my job. So I didn't apply. Looking back, and thinking of all the stuff I've seen on the road, had I have taken that SRO job, I would've been wholly unprepared if something serious ever went down at a school.

You know who when you're a young kid and about to get into a fight, and you get the "trembles?" Well, as a young cop, you get that too... and then one day, when you're confident in your abilities, it simply stops. At that point, you've probably been in enough arguments, fight, pulled your gun on people that the task at hand takes priority over fear. Maybe that's not universal, but that how it was for me. Anyways, some SROs have never had the opportunity to get over this. Now, SROs (in the past few years) are positions that are coveted by older officers in the twilights of the careers, or mid-expereinecd officers wanting workable hours for family time. In places where young officers are SROs, or officers who have never worked the street, the fear of encountering an active shooter may overwhelm them.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I know several. When I first started in LE, no one wanted a SRO job. SROs while part of the PD, were actually more overseen by the city, than the actual PD. They had this weird limbo status. Eventually we started using actual officers to fill those positions at schools... but nobody wanted them, so young officers were put in those position. When I say young, I mean less than 2 years. I though about applying, but I didn't know #$@% about being a cop, I hadn't really seen anything nor was I comfortable doing my job. So I didn't apply. Looking back, and thinking of all the stuff I've seen on the road, had I have taken that SRO job, I would've been wholly unprepared if something serious ever went down at a school.

You know who when you're a young kid and about to get into a fight, and you get the "trembles?" Well, as a young cop, you get that too... and then one day, when you're confident in your abilities, it simply stops. At that point, you've probably been in enough arguments, fight, pulled your gun on people that the task at hand takes priority over fear. Maybe that's not universal, but that how it was for me. Anyways, some SROs have never had the opportunity to get over this. Now, SROs (in the past few years) are positions that are coveted by older officers in the twilights of the careers, or mid-expereinecd officers wanting workable hours for family time. In places where young officers are SROs, or officers who have never worked the street, the fear of encountering an active shooter may overwhelm them.

The sheriff mentioned that the deputy was able to retire after having been suspended so I assume he had been with that agency for many years.
    That's not a rookie cop from what I understand.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The sheriff mentioned that the deputy was able to retire after having been suspended so I assume he had been with that agency for many years.
    That's not a rookie cop from what I understand.

Possibly. Broward Co is a rough place. Was that officer always a SRO? I know guys who from day one to retirement were. But that isn't to say there aren't some legit cowards working the road; and if they can't be fired they might be moved.

Last edited:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I've never known of anyone that had the goal to be a school resource officer

One of marions assistant chiefs is a sro and a heck of a guy I've never dealt with him on the streets but he was one of my SROs and i think he is my younger sisters now and I have nothing bad to say about him. if we worked the same dept. i would love to have him as a partner.

As for reserves i know plenty of guys that cant afford to give up a good paying job to be a cop. $30,000 pay cut? who in their right mind would want to do that?

Im not going to give the deputy hell i've never been in his shoes. Did he just stand there and cower? Or was he on the radio relaying info as other LEOs went in? that would play into how i feel about it. Guess he found out where his line was. Its sad all around.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    One of marions assistant chiefs is a sro and a heck of a guy I've never dealt with him on the streets but he was one of my SROs and i think he is my younger sisters now and I have nothing bad to say about him. if we worked the same dept. i would love to have him as a partner.

As for reserves i know plenty of guys that cant afford to give up a good paying job to be a cop. $30,000 pay cut? who in their right mind would want to do that?

Im not going to give the deputy hell i've never been in his shoes. Did he just stand there and cower? Or was he on the radio relaying info as other LEOs went in? that would play into how i feel about it. Guess he found out where his line was. Its sad all around.

That's fair. Active shooter protocols have changed so much over the years it's hard to know. I remember when you were told to wait (if you were by yourself) until you had another officer before entering a school. But that was for road officers arriving. Now the if you get there by yourself, you go. It went from 3, to 2, to 1.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I talked to an old retired guy about active shooters and he couldn't believe that road officers are told to go in solo. He talked about establishing perimeters and calling swat. pretty interesting how things evolve.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Possibly. Broward Co is a rough place. Was that officer always a SRO? I know guys who from day one to retirement were. But that isn't to say there aren't some legit cowards working the road; and if they can't be fired they might be moved.

Over 30 years of experience as a cop.

Peterson, 54, started working for the Broward County Sheriff's Office in 1985 and since 2009 has been a school resource officer at the high school, appointed to keep the school and its students safe.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I talked to an old retired guy about active shooters and he couldn't believe that road officers are told to go in solo. He talked about establishing perimeters and calling swat. pretty interesting how things evolve.

That article mentions the old tactics.

Israel said surveillance footage captured Peterson responding to the building where the shooting was unfolding. He said the deputy got there within a minute and a half of when the gunfire started. He positioned himself outside the building but never went in, Israel said.The shooting lasted a total of six minutes. Peterson sat outside the building for four of those minutes, Israel said. In the end, 17 people were killed.
    He should have "went in, addressed the killer, killed the killer," Israel said.
    Modern active shooter procedures were changed after the Columbine High School shooting in 1999 when officers were trained to wait for SWAT officers to respond and take out a threat. The officers in that shooting allowed the suspects to continue their rampage without being challenged. In the end, 13 people were killed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...re-sounding-he-should-have-stopped/365122002/

I don't know if the guidelines are the same all around the country now, or if some angencies still require officers to wait for backup.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Columbine changed the whole game. It's interesting because Columbine was the only case where it was two guys. When they first started to change, it was wait for additional officers, and then go in. Since then the rest have been single shooters, so it's ok to send one officer in. If there's ever a point that it become the norm for it to be 2 or 3 shooters, I wonder if they'll still tell officers to go in solo.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I like the way our chief put it to an officer from another dept that said wait for swat. "you are swat get the **** in there".

Again im not going to judge the guy he has to live with his actions i don't need to fan the fire.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I will say I've met a few of those. Usually guys who were well established in another career field who also wanted to do the LEO thing. I can understand the desire to serve as an LEO without walking away from a 6 figure salary, vested pension, etc. Especially if you don't know if you'll stick with it long term. Reserves can be a way to dip your toes in without throwing away your existing professional life.

I'm a reserve and I work 60-70 hours a month for the department. When I heard the Florida Sheriff's press conference about this I was floored. When I first heard that an SRO was on campus I assumed he was too far away to get into the fight. I'm just floored, it is just beyond my understanding. It angers me at every level. I will never understand how a person charged with the responsibility to protect did everything but his job.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First off, I would be headed to the gun shots. Knowing that some SRO's may not have the most experience & sometimes maybe not enough training ( think Sheriff dept employed Special Deputy). So question for LEO's. Is it possible that the SRO's training for an active shooter response was based on a 3 or 4 man team? Years ago when I was a court deputy, our training was if you responded to an active shooter you waited outside for at least a 3 man team before going inside and taking the fight to the killer. The reasoning was to have adequate coverage to make a dynamic entry. 1 guy leads down the hallway and 1 on each side to cover/semi clear door ways and cover your six. Now that was back in 2001, so training/ tactics may have changed.
    I'm just thinking there is a possibility the SRO was trained to respond one way and he may have been following his training instincts by waiting outside a door. Keep in mind in general, you fight the way you train. Also, could be the SRO just failed to do his job.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not only did the SRO not engage............local PD refused to act on earlier tips.
    So did the FBI.
    Everybody dropped the ball.
    One more law ought to make them up their performance....................

Gross negligence?
    Total incompetence?
    Or willing participants to furthering an agenda...................

IMHO the politicians that voted for GFZ's ought to be hung from a gallows.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I choose to not judge. I hope he enjoys his retirement after 33 years of service. People are blaming him for his possible human deficiencies instead of blaming the perp for what happened. His actions were more than likely a result of his training and experience. His actions could have easily resulted in the quick apprehension of the perp because he did not charge in.

I have some small amount of experience with tense and adversarial situations. I have made the long lonely walk many times as an EOD soldier. Later, carrying a badge, I never charged in to any situation involving someone I did not know. If required, I would have done anything for a fellow Officer. I know this to be true because it is on the record.

Anybody that thinks a Police Officer should or would throw his body in front of a bullet to save a stranger has watched one too many movies...

Top Bottom