• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    It is quite simple. Review the past 50 years of case law. Honestly, I don't understand your position. Pre/post employment drug screening is old hat. Nothing changed in that regard.
    Wrong. It was included in pre-employment screening because it was illegal. Now it's not illegal. Thus, it changes everything.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I would abandon your position if I were you as well. Do you want to consume cannabis? First you take it up with your brotherhood's union. Next, take it up with the legislature.

Funny, this is the same route as the factory worker.

Did you know that my aunt in Colorado, who works for an investment firm, will still endure her urine being tested for the presence of cannabis? Would you believe termination would be the result of a positive result? Do you understand that cannabis is legal, now, in Colorado?

Why should your brotherhood be excluded? Are you immune from market forces?

I'm not abandoning my position. Might it be possible that since the law on the legality of marijuana has been changed that perhaps the laws on testing for marijuana might change as well? Or is that simply not possible?

I thought the majority around here were in favor of liberty. Most accuse me of being against it, or at least those in my profession. It's kind of fun to be on the other side of the argument for a change.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I would abandon your position if I were you as well. Do you want to consume cannabis? First you take it up with your brotherhood's union. Next, take it up with the legislature.

Funny, this is the same route as the factory worker.

Did you know that my aunt in Colorado, who works for an investment firm, will still endure her urine being tested for the presence of cannabis? Would you believe termination would be the result of a positive result? Do you understand that cannabis is legal, now, in Colorado?

Why should your brotherhood be excluded? Are you immune from market forces?
    He is NOT saying he should get special treatment. My God you are especially dense tonight. He is saying IF the reason for testing for weed was due to it being illegal than now there should not be testing. IF there is no testing for anyone else, WHICH WE DON'T KNOW because they've got until 2013 to say, police should not be tested too.

Since it has been legalized, it should be viewed no differently than alcohol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wrong. It was included in pre-employment screening because it was illegal. Now it's not illegal. Thus, it changes everything.

Because it was illegal isnt the only reason to be tested for drugs. Some people have jobs where an impaired judgement can cost lives, and those people will more than likely still need to prove they are clean, and with reason

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Do you think alcohol and tobacco pre-employment screening doesn't occur? Post-emplyment screening? Do you think that obesity screening doesn't occur?

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm not abandoning my position. Might it be possible that since the law on the legality of marijuana has been changed that perhaps the laws on testing for marijuana might change as well? Or is that simply not possible?

I thought the majority around here were in favor of liberty. Most accuse me of being against it, or at least those in my profession. It's kind of fun to be on the other side of the argument for a change.

That is a completely different argument.

You want big government to regulate the narcotics tests given by employers, and in turn, demand they not consider the results when they hire.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    He is NOT saying he should get special treatment. My God you are especially dense tonight. He is saying IF the reason for testing for weed was due to it being illegal than now there should not be testing. IF there is no testing for anyone else, WHICH WE DON'T KNOW because they've got until 2013 to say, police should not be tested too.

Since it has been legalized, it should be viewed no differently than alcohol.

I think I responded to this. See my P-Dog answer.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Because it was illegal isnt the only reason to be tested for drugs. Some people have jobs where an impaired judgement can cost lives, and those people will more than likely still need to prove they are clean, and with reason
    I'll bite, do you know of anyone tested in the morning, every morning, for alcohol?

Can we not agree that it is far more dangerous to everyone? Yet, the only reason Weed is tested for successfully is the length of time it's byproducts stay in your system. ***note I did not say the mind altering parts of it.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    My judgment can be impaired by many things other than drugs. Troubles at home, maybe I didnt have any breakfast that day. Why don't employers and police just come in my home and judge my character everyday, but wait maybe THEIR judgement is impaired and so on , and so on, and so on.

Just leave people alone. Not hurting anyone, leave me the eff alone!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm a little ticked off about this whole thing. It seems they are ONLY about legalizing it for recreational use with the tiny limits on the amount you can grow. What about the nearly endless industrial uses? How about keeping a job, I mean just because it's legal to smoke the crap doesn't mean you'll be able to do so and still have a job....are they trying to further the welfare state and abuse of unemployment/disability?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm a little ticked off about this whole thing. It seems they are ONLY about legalizing it for recreational use with the tiny limits on the amount you can grow. What about the nearly endless industrial uses? How about keeping a job, I mean just because it's legal to smoke the crap doesn't mean you'll be able to do so and still have a job....are they trying to further the welfare state and abuse of unemployment/disability?
    Ha! Do you have ANY idea how many professionals not only smoke weed DAILY but do much heavier stuff? I'm not talking professional pizza deliverers either. I'm talking lawyers, investors, doctors. The list is unending.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ha! Do you have ANY idea how many professionals not only smoke weed DAILY but do much heavier stuff? I'm not talking professional pizza deliverers either. I'm talking lawyers, investors, doctors. The list is unending.

Common it is, but ask yourself: Who watches the apex watchers?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Yes I do know! Back in the early/mid '90s I owned half stake in an auto service and repair shop. My partner was dealing everything he could get his hands on....To police, judges, doctors, social workers, elementary school teachers, attorneys that worked in the prosecutors office, etc. He was even in a work release program for a DUI and was dealing in there to other inmates AND COs....Oh and there was a skydiving instructor he sold cocaine to every weekend, the guy would smoke some, then shoot it in his arm before each jump he made. I was SOOO glad to get out of that deal.
    So at what levels of thc in my blood am I DUI? We all know how long it can be in a regular smoker's system. Why not bust people for driving on other prescription narcotics? "Be sure of affects before operating vehicle or heavy machinery" sticker makes it ok? Alot of unanswered questions.
    There are and have been for quite a while, cheek swab tests that will determine whether you have smoked within the last few hours. How long will it take to pass a mouth swab drug test for THC
    I wonder how this will affect the hiring process in WA and CO. Obviously, most employers frown upon showing up to work under the influence, but can you be denied employment for using a legal substance "off the clock"? :dunno: Seems like there will be a lot of details to iron out, but I give kudos to these states. With so many states having upside down budgets, this could be a decent way to generate some tax revenue....
    Most states are "employment at will" meaning they don't require any specific reason for not hiring you or for firing you.
    Apparently everyone in the state of Washington can get high now except for the police. What a crock of BS.
    Oh no, there are PLENTY of other jobs that will not allow you to use even on your own time. Want a CMV operator rolling at 80,000 pounds running down the road at 70mph with it in his system?

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I wonder how long before the Feds threaten to withhold federal funds?

Does anyone see the issue of marijuana being legalized in even a few more states becoming such a thorn in the Fed's side that they actually do try to withhold funding? If so, can anyone foresee those "legalized states" trying to band together to fight this issue? After which other states recognize the atrocity that is the war against drugs, and joins to fight the Feds on this bogus war?
    I know it's far fetched. I just like to think ahead.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I wonder how long before the Feds threaten to withhold federal funds?
    As soon as they do, those states will just opt out of participation in federal programs allowing them to keep monies collected within that state instead of sending it to the feds. Many states have already done this with highway dollars since the amount they collect and pay the feds is far greater than the amount the feds send back to them as highway funding...plus they will have a lucrative new found source of revenue in taxing dope.

Top Bottom