• Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    some people feel our officers need to look like Andy Griffith

Why shouldn't they?

If the officer in Seattle was dressed like Barney Fife, instead of a yob from the East End no body slam would have transpired and it would save a life and a bunch of money.

The police uniform should be distinctive to prevent incidents such as this. Perhaps red jackets as in Canada?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Why shouldn't they?

If the officer in Seattle was dressed like Barney Fife, instead of a yob from the East End no body slam would have transpired and it would save a life and a bunch of money.

The police uniform should be distinctive to prevent incidents such as this. Perhaps red jackets as in Canada?
    I have said many times that cops should be dressed in jumpsuits of a suitable colour. I'm thinking pink or scarlet, it would really set of the black of their gun belts. And the colour would be distinctive and easily identifiable. They'd also not be so intimidating in their look, that would go a long way in repairing the rifts between Joe Citizen and the cops.

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Come on guys...they just want to look cool.

Most probably wouldn't have ever become officers if it weren't for the intimidating look.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why shouldn't they?

I have yet to see a regular police uniform which is not clearly recognizable from quite a distance. Patches on the sleeves, a badge on the front, nameplates typically printed in white or gold lettering, a gun belt and radio hanging on the waist.

Your suggestion that the person in the video wasn't sure it was the police chasing him is ridiculous and you know it. The difference in appearance between the BDU style uniforms and the Andy Griffith is most often a different cut , same color but different material and cargo pockets on the pants. Our officers don't have their pants tucked into their boots, they don't wear thigh rigs and the body armor is still worn under the uniform shirt.

The officer that did the body check didn't do it because of the uniform he was wearing.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Take another look at the perp on the video. He's dressed in all black. He certainly does not look like a police officer, maybe a bouncer at a dance club.

Your suggestion that the person in the video wasn't sure it was the police chasing him is ridiculous and you know it.

It's not ridiculous at all given the evidence. The slamee was doing nothing wrong, the slamer certainly was not dressed like a cop and the vic certainly had no reason to reason to run from the police.

The victim did not know that the cops told him to stop. This is yet another example of how police dress code impacts lives.

I have said many times that cops should be dressed in jumpsuits of a suitable colour.

Maybe that safety green that the highway workers use. The cars should be the same color.

I know cops like black because it scares people but we need to put human life over wants.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have said many times that cops should be dressed in jumpsuits of a suitable colour. I'm thinking pink or scarlet, it would really set of the black of their gun belts. And the colour would be distinctive and easily identifiable. They'd also not be so intimidating in their look, that would go a long way in repairing the rifts between Joe Citizen and the cops.
    Kidding right? On late shift I worked (still do but not as often) in an area of the city that housed 12 or so section 8 apartment complexes all within 2 miles sq. When it gets warm they like to take shots at our cruisers...and us if we give them the chance. You think wearing pink will help that situation. The gang bangers will laugh at us as they shoot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look, I know you don't like me talking out of school but cops like black because it scares people. You don't have to open a Gall's catalogue just talk to cops when there is a new colour scheme being debated at a department or new cars being ordered. The officers want black because it is, in the words of an Indiana State Trooper at deposition, "intimidating".

I got it. You want to scare the mopes so you don't have to fight em (spraying painting guns black so they look like machine guns, smart). No problem, at my age I don't like fights anymore anywho.

However, the problem with this is that the lack of ability to be distinguished from some yob is that legitimates the complaint of "I didn't know it was the cops."

Black is all cool and tactical, but it is a double edged sword as this case in Seattle aptly demonstrates.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Amazing. Americans are scared by cargo pants and ripstop shirts.

Funny how many internet SuperPatriots rant and rave about revolution, overcoming tyranny, SHTF, "from my cold dead fingers," and all that....yet tinkle in their drawers if the police don't wear leisure suits.
    The issue is not whether one is scared but whether one mistakes an officer in all black as a non-officer. We are seeking ways to avoid another Seattle Slam and save a life.

Black may be scary and tactical but it is confusing. Dress the police to look like police, not bouncers at a dance club.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Look, I know you don't like me talking out of school but cops like black because it scares people. You don't have to open a Gall's catalogue just talk to cops when there is a new colour scheme being debated at a department or new cars being ordered. The officers want black because it is, in the words of an Indiana State Trooper at deposition, "intimidating".

I got it. You want to scare the mopes so you don't have to fight em (spraying painting guns black so they look like machine guns, smart). No problem, at my age I don't like fights anymore anywho.

However, the problem with this is that the lack of ability to be distinguished from some yob is that legitimates the complaint of "I didn't know it was the cops."

Black is all cool and tactical, but it is a double edged sword as this case in Seattle aptly demonstrates.

Actually I was quite fine with the County brown uniforms I was once allowed to wear. We don't wear black now, we wear navy blue and I'm fine with that also. I'd be fine with green as well. I'd prefer to stay away from light colored uniforms, unless of course you'd like to lobby for additional taxes to pay for them, as they get stained up pretty quickly.

I need to apologize again Kirk. I continue to forget your profession. Finding something or someone to blame other than the person responsible for committing a crime is what you do. I'd love to get ahold of the uniform that officer was wearing. I bet if I put it on I'd body check someone before I made it out of my neighborhood on my way to work.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I need to apologize again Kirk. I continue to forget your profession. Finding something or someone to blame other than the person responsible for committing a crime is what you do. I'd love to get ahold of the uniform that officer was wearing. I bet if I put it on I'd body check someone before I made it out of my neighborhood on my way to work.

You mean the civil case defendants coughed up 10 mil to show how they weren't responsible? I'd like to find defendants like that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd love to get ahold of the uniform that officer was wearing. I bet if I put it on I'd body check someone before I made it out of my neighborhood on my way to work.

Oy und vey!:D

No, the officer, his department and the city are responsible for the slamming of the vic, not the uniform.

However, since this is the political forum or something, I believe a solution to the Seattle Slamming is to ensure that police officers are distinctively identified.

phylodog's comment about Kirk's noble quest to find someone, anyone, or anything to blame

Again, the blame falls clearly on the perps here--the officer, his department and the city of Seattle. Nothing else.

However, as a taxpayer, I want to ensure the Seattle Slam does not transpire elsewhere. An easy solution is stop easing the uniform standards.

In the Seattle case the blame is squarely on the officer, his department and the city, but I see this as an opportunity to prevent a repeat from happening. I believe that is a legitimate political question.:)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oy und vey!:D

No, the officer, his department and the city are responsible for the slamming of the vic, not the uniform.

However, since this is the political forum or something, I believe a solution to the Seattle Slamming is to ensure that police officers are distinctively identified.

Again, the blame falls clearly on the perps here--the officer, his department and the city of Seattle. Nothing else.

However, as a taxpayer, I want to ensure the Seattle Slam does not transpire elsewhere. An easy solution is stop easing the uniform standards.

In the Seattle case the blame is squarely on the officer, his department and the city, but I see this as an opportunity to prevent a repeat from happening. I believe that is a legitimate political question.:)

Spoken like a true attorney. I'd love to see documentation or video evidence of the Seattle Police Department training it's officers to body check someone. The officer was not acting in accordance with his training.

The only person (criminally) responsible for this act is the individual officer who committed it. If you can bring forth some sort of proof to demonstrate that the officer's uniform made him do it I'll admit that I am wrong. Maybe it works like Jim Carey in The Mask or Stallone's hat in Over The Top?

Civil liability is another topic entirely. There is no doubt that you and I are worlds apart on that issue so there is really no reason to get into it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I'd love to see documentation

That would be a copy of the 10M check.

video evidence of the Seattle Police Department training it's officers to body check someone.

That would be the video of Chief Wiggum repeating "probable cause" over and over.

The officer was not acting in accordance with his training.

Then why was Chief Wiggum defending him? SPD closed ranks around him.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That would be a copy of the 10M check.

That would be the video of Chief Wiggum repeating "probable cause" over and over.

Then why was Chief Wiggum defending him? SPD closed ranks around him.

So if this was a criminal trial and you were the defense attorney, you would expect a jury to accept the "evidence" you are submitting as proof beyond a reasonable doubt? I don't see it as even being in the same ball park. I guess if it suits your needs it's all good though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You mean like "Conspiracy to Violate Civil Rights" under a state or fed prosecution? No way.

However, we are in a civil world, not criminal, where more likely than not controls. Actually it was a civil settlement world so all kinds of stuff comes into play.

Top Bottom