vC9oDNU.jpg

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Come on Kelly,

Everyone knows the Nickel plated ones are more accurate!

I cannot believe you shoot a Glock I assumed you would shoot a CZ, Walther, 1911 something kool!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Come on Kelly,

Everyone knows the Nickel plated ones are more accurate!

I cannot believe you shoot a Glock I assumed you would shoot a CZ, Walther, 1911 something kool!

I also drive a Honda Civic. However, my safe queen is a 1949 Winchester Model 12.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Returning to the original topic, the Glock 47 appears to be a Glock 17 with the frame rails closer together. I'm very curious about the engineering thoughts behind it. What the perceived advantages of a 47 over a 17?
    Commenting on the other comments. This is a rhetorical question but setting aside higher ammo cost and more recoil, what are the perceived advantages of the 357 SIG round compared to a 9mm if a shot is well placed?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    i-D7FnTGm-XL.jpg

Shucks .... my beautiful P229 in 357SIG is now worthless. I'd better just throw it in the trash :(

NOT !
    Funny you should bring up the Sig 229. That was my bag gun for a couple years. I always worried about losing it or rust or "holding it pending investigation". The fact that the replacement cost would run a couple bucks + or minus $700, I bought the Honda Civic of the gun world. A used Glock 23 in 40 short and weak. Replacement cost about $350. My lack of standards is obvious.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Funny you should bring up the Sig 229. That was my bag gun for a couple years. I always worried about losing it or rust or "holding it pending investigation". The fact that the replacement cost would run a couple bucks + or minus $700, I bought the Honda Civic of the gun world. A used Glock 23 in 40 short and weak. Replacement cost about $350. My lack of standards is obvious.

Some guns are for show, and some are for go ..... I actually carry either the G23, or the G27 in this photo more than any other firearm. Still, I'm enamored by the Sig, and I shoot it well. :)

i-Tjj2LpD-L.jpg

By the way .... what exactly is a "bag gun" ? :dunno: (no, I'm not being a wise-guy, I'm just curious) Is it a get-home-bag, a gym bag .... something else ?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Who gives a **** what the secret service carries?

Since we're completely off topic anyway, unfortunately that's what many people base their buying decisions on. What the FBI, Secret Service, Army, any other government agency or what is on the cover of the NRA magazine. The latest purported "shiny" object that the media talks about is the first thing many people want to look at when they arrive at the gun counter. As they say, perception is reality so the average buyer assumes what they hear the most chatter about must be the best choice.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is a rhetorical question but setting aside higher ammo cost and more recoil, what are the perceived advantages of the 357 SIG round compared to a 9mm if a shot is well placed?

It will make someone deader than a 9mm

It's still just a handgun round and therefore not any better suited at stopping a person than the 9mm, .40, .45ACP, .357 given proper shot placement and a properly designed projectile.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    On the .357 Sig effectiveness vs 9mm

1. 125 grain bullet at about 1400-1500 fps

2. Increase muzzle flash and blast

3. It seems to be a naturally accurate round and is a extremely flat shooting round at long range

IMO it really doesn’t have much increased recoil than the 9mm just much louder and the action works faster. The muzzle flash and blast has a physiological effect this has often been attributed to the success of the .357 Mag the round that .357 Sig was created to emulate.
    On the original question if a hit was in the same spot 9mm vs .357 Sig what would be the effect? The faster .357 Sig is just out of the lower range of a permanent wound cavity damage due to hydrostatic shock. So the best equation would probably be between .38 Spl and .357 Mag IMO .357 Sig would definitely have a advantage.

Is it worth the extra expense for a gain in performance?

Is it a dead caliber like the .40?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The .357 Sig is a long way from attaining hydrostatic shock.

Carry what you want and can hit with. If extra noise and recoil helps you to be more accurate, go for it.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I suspect it's just another case of a law enforcement agency picking the best all around pistol.

I once compared .357 Mag out of my four inch Model 19 with 357 Sig out of my 4.?" barrel Browning Hi Power. The loads were as identical as I could buy them: Hornady TAP 124gr .357 Mag and Hornady TAP 125gr 357 Sig.

The velocities through my chrono were the same, and the all the bullets I dug out of wet newpaper traveled the same distance and expanded the same way -- they were indistinguishable.

Thus it appeared the .357 Sig provided the same ballistics as the .357 Mag, but it was A LOT quieter and much less recoil -- more than the 9mm out of my 9mm BHP, but noticeably less than the Model 19/.357Mag. Plus the bottle neck case should aid in feeding reliability, and the flat shooting is nice. The round would seem to have a lot going for it, but it is very expensive compared to 9mm, requires a stronger gun/barrel, and … it just didn't seem to catch on.

The Texas DPS used .357 Sig in Sig P226s for a long time, but then switched to S&W M&P in 9mm, which turned out to be a disaster - the first batch of M&Ps issued at the state academy had many failures to feed, out of tolerance chambers etc, and they were withdrawn. DPS went back to Sig...but in 9mm, not 357 Sig. I suspect if they had gone to the Glock 19 or 17 instead of the M&P, they'd still be carrying Glocks today.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Some guns are for show, and some are for go ..... I actually carry either the G23, or the G27 in this photo more than any other firearm. Still, I'm enamored by the Sig, and I shoot it well. :)

i-Tjj2LpD-L.jpg

By the way .... what exactly is a "bag gun" ? :dunno: (no, I'm not being a wise-guy, I'm just curious) Is it a get-home-bag, a gym bag .... something else ?
    Bag gun travels in a 511 pistol bag. You know, a purse. Gots my wallet, flashlight, extra mag, pen, seat belt cutter, lock blade knife etc. Pistol is oriented exactly the same every time and always loaded. Not a quick draw set-up, but I'm old and slow anyway.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Bag gun travels in a 511 pistol bag. You know, a purse. Gots my wallet, flashlight, extra mag, pen, seat belt cutter, lock blade knife etc. Pistol is oriented exactly the same every time and always loaded. Not a quick draw set-up, but I'm old and slow anyway.
    :yesway:

Top Bottom