Securing your house (windows doors etc.)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Also what about a good guard dog? Or 2

I have a 100# aggressive and territorial Akita. When my house was broken into (before I installed the 3M security film) the dog was in the house. They threw concrete blocks at the dog until she could fight no more. She survived but was traumatized.

Don't count on a big mean dog.

Fortunately neighbors chased down the burglars, caught one at and held him at gun point.

I now have updated my security system and also have a commercial grade camera system with long range IR night vision and high resolution color daylight cameras.

Oh, and they may have come though my windows because they couldn't come through my door? I have these on my doors => http://kickproof.com/Compare_Door_Frame_Reinforcement.php

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    There are companies that make very attractive hurricane shutters that should do a fair job of slowing down an intruder.

Steel doors, and steel frames (a door is only as good as the frame), will take care of the rest.

All of that is just there to slow down the really determined and repel the opportunistic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Standard doors and windows only keep the not so intent out of your domicile. If someone really wants in they use a battery sawzall and come through the wall. Seen it happen at a friends bike shop. If they want in badly enough, they are getting in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have known people who have built their own steel door jams for their steel doors...

I have used a sheet metal break to cover a wimpy wooden jamb with 20 ga. galvanized and it was one tough SOB after that. Sisters house had the rear door kicked in twice by stupid X-boy friend. I put new door in place, did the sheet galvy covering, pinned the hinges, anchored jamb to the studs and it did not give the next time he tried. It made enough noise the neighbors called LEO. He was dealt with severely at a later date but that is another story for another thread. Point, with some effort you can slow them down enough to set up for them.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Standard doors and windows only keep the not so intent out of your domicile. If someone really wants in they use a battery sawzall and come through the wall. Seen it happen at a friends bike shop. If they want in badly enough, they are getting in.
    :yesway:

Locks only keep the honest out.

army bratt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    north side evansville
    My home plan is digital video out side to chronicle everything, two obnocious pitbulls inside( grampa caint hear good) and a mini 14 in full combat battery as a pillow gun. Good enough ya think?

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    So who has had the 3m door/window tape installed? How much did it cost?

I've been thinking about getting this installed on my lower level windows and the upstairs that have roofing below them. Especially interested in getting this on my sliding glass door - what a huge security risk... ugh.

Top Bottom