• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Can only carry 9mm or .38. Must carry open. Considered high risk site. What would you choose?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    smg.jpg

Colt 9mm Machine Gun FTW! It counts right?

Seriously whatever carries the most rounds and you are most comfortable with. If it were me it would be the G17

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Whichever one you can show documentation of training with in a formal setting, including weapon retention training. A must, IMO, for anybody that OC's.

Either caliber will do fine if you have to use deadly force.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    It seems like the top three have all been mentioned. In a high risk environment capacity can be a huge factor and pretty much eliminates the 38. Glock 17, XDm, M&P, will all serve you well. Try them all, if you can, and pick the one you like best. Then train, train, and train some more!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is serious stuff, therefore I am going to say it again, in a different way.

No matter how "high risk" the assignment is, you will be totally on your own as far as the security company is concerned. You DO NOT want to fire a handgun unless the threat is immediate and documented on camera. Even then, you will be on your own...

Your biggest threat is having your handgun taken away from you. You absolutely need handgun retention training, the same as every Police Officer.

A handgun is not a "magic wand". Just having one does not make you more safe. It just makes you a large target for those who will take it away from you.

It doesn't matter if your handgun holds 5 rounds or 55 rounds, you need training.

I know this, it cannot be disputed.

Caliber doesn't matter much in a self-defence handgun. they are all wimpy and underpowered when compared to any rifle or shotgun.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    What's your budget? I carried a well-used Ruger P89 for years as an armed guard before I finally saved for a Sig P220. It wasn't tacticool but I got a full duty setup for less than a Glock. In the end, I could qualify with the Ruger just fine. I was never killed for lacking the latest Tupperware toy.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I think any of the big three 'superguns' from Glock, S&W orSpringfield will work. Of course a good service revolver will work and smith, ruger or colt would be good as well. I have an XDM and its capacity, safety features and accuracy all have made it my favorite in the stable right now. Training and shot placement are more crucial than the guninmy opinion. Best of luck and stay safe!

Top Bottom