• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    All co-workers carry Glocks. I am not a Glock fan, althought I know they are excellent weapons. Dont fit my hand properly. The Beretta or Taurus 92's are also excellent guns. Had one for a while. Grip too big for my hands.
    I will stick with my revolver. I am very good with it and it has never failed me.
    Thanks for most of the input.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All co-workers carry Glocks.

A good case can be made for carrying the same thing as the guys you're working with.

Their magazines will work in your gun, and vice versa. Fixing guns becomes easier as you're more likely to find a guy with the spare part. You can also buy that newfangled holster that your co-worker bought but then didn't like after all for half price. You also show some uniformity amongst the staff.

Just food for thought.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I wonder how many paychecks it would take OP to pay for a glock? I'm unarmed and I get paid more than a armed guard. Best bet for the peanuts he's probably being paid (no offense), he should buy a Hi-point. It's accuate, it will go bang everytime OP pulls the trigger, and he can buy with one paycheck and still have money to eat.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Had a HiPoint .45. Actually a great gun. Never failed and very accurate. I dont know where you work, but where I live armed always pays more than unarmed. But both suck, however. Plus I dont go anywhere unless I am armed.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've never understood asking others what gun YOU should carry personally. It's such a personal choice to me. Might as well ask what position you should have sex, or when to take a dump. You have to choose what is right for you. What fits your hand, what you're comfortable with, etc. This is the weapon you're choosing to defend your life. YOU have to be comfortable with it.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I've never understood asking others what gun YOU should carry personally. It's such a personal choice to me. Might as well ask what position you should have sex, or when to take a dump. You have to choose what is right for you. What fits your hand, what you're comfortable with, etc. This is the weapon you're choosing to defend your life. YOU have to be comfortable with it.

Hey bob can I take a dump?:poop::poop::poop:

This OP has certain parameters in which he has to choose from. Its not all personal choice. He is limited to only a few calibers, has to OC, and since its a security job it wouldn't be bad idea to see what his co-workers are using to make an effort to be compatible. I agree he needs to be comfortable and thats why he is looking at all options. :twocents:

Last edited:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yes you can, but you have to do it standing up. lol

I understand that he has limits to it, I still think it's going to boil down to what he is most comfortable carrying. No offense to y'all, but I'm not going to do a popular vote to determine what my sidearm is going to be. Ya know?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    No offense to y'all, but I'm not going to do a popular vote to determine what my sidearm is going to be. Ya know?

But you would carry what the Dept issues whether or not you liked it personally, right?

Standing up? I would much rather squat over your computer. :D

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That's fine... it belongs to the place that employs me. As for that, I don't know if I would or not to be honest. Thankfully I don't have to worry about it.... but I think that if I was uncomfortable with it even after lots of time usign it I would find another way around it if possible.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    G26 with a 30rd mag!

glock-26-with-33-round-magazine.jpg

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This is serious stuff, therefore I am going to say it again, in a different way.

No matter how "high risk" the assignment is, you will be totally on your own as far as the security company is concerned. You DO NOT want to fire a handgun unless the threat is immediate and documented on camera. Even then, you will be on your own...

Your biggest threat is having your handgun taken away from you. You absolutely need handgun retention training, the same as every Police Officer.

A handgun is not a "magic wand". Just having one does not make you more safe. It just makes you a large target for those who will take it away from you.

It doesn't matter if your handgun holds 5 rounds or 55 rounds, you need training.

I know this, it cannot be disputed.

Caliber doesn't matter much in a self-defence handgun. they are all wimpy and underpowered when compared to any rifle or shotgun.

Well said sloughfoot; this is most important.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Go get a Glock 17 with your discount.

So what does you company consider a high risk site? Just it being in a bad neighborhood or a bank thats been robbed 3 times this month?

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    Ok now my 2 cents, If you are truly a revolver guy, I would look at S&W M&P R8, 8 rounds of 38 Spl +P and If it is anything like the rest of S&W's revolvers, you won't be disappointed. My second revolver choice would be a S&W 686 (might be my first choice, I really like 686s). If you are considering a pistol, I would very seriously look at S&W M&P series, I bought one and it feels great in my hand. Bottom line is, none of them are cheap anymore, get the one that feels good and shoots straight.

Top Bottom