• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Better get it now. Don't count on "finding" it after things fall apart. Remember, you aren't the only guy with a .45.

That is one thing I often wonder if we weigh more than we should. If I happen to go through 5000 rifle rounds in a SHTF situation, will I not have acquired a significant arsenal of "enemy" weapons and ammo? Unless I'm shooting unarmed men I would expect to have some amount of captured arms at my disposal.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    That is one thing I often wonder if we weigh more than we should. If I happen to go through 5000 rifle rounds in a SHTF situation, will I not have acquired a significant arsenal of "enemy" weapons and ammo? Unless I'm shooting unarmed men I would expect to have some amount of captured arms at my disposal.
    Perhaps if you are on the offensive and overtake the enemy, but that is pretty unlikely. Most likely, even in SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situations, you will be the defensive party and leaving the area as fast as you can to prevent being overrun yourself. Not going to be much time to loot the dead and upon returning at a safer time will yield nothing as the surviving enemy forces or other nomads will likely loot them first.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Muncie
    Only two guns... I weep for you.:crying: I would not swap a rifle for a shotgun. Even if it took me a long while I would just save my money until I could afford the shotgun I wanted. Take your time and build a battery of firearms. You have your personal defense fairly well covered and that should be piece of mind until you cover your other bases.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Perhaps if you are on the offensive and overtake the enemy, but that is pretty unlikely. Most likely, even in SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situations, you will be the defensive party and leaving the area as fast as you can to prevent being overrun yourself. Not going to be much time to loot the dead and upon returning at a safer time will yield nothing as the surviving enemy forces or other nomads will likely loot them first.

I was thinking more in terms of a defensive position where you are hunkered down. If you have to vacate the area your ammo supply will be limited in any case, especially if motor vehicles are not an option.

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    If you are looking for a pretty good deal on a entry level defensive 12ga pump, Dicks has the Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel on sale for $179 this week. Looks like a pretty descent gun for the money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    To bad you are not local as in INDY. West side loan has a bunch of nice 12G. pieces both new and used. Priced right and they will negotiate on used guns. I bought my 930 and 590 Mossy's from them.

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    Honestly I would go with the 7.62 may not be as versatile as a 12ga but its still one hell of a man stopper. Plus in a SHTF scenario I would prefer the larger amount of ammo that can be comfortably carried arround. As far as for door breaching four or so rounds of 7.62 should easily be able to blow the hinges off most commercial doors. Overall I would say you are getting more with the 7.62 than you are a 12ga.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    CountryBoy19 You stated it much better than I could. I think you hit the nail on the head. You just can't beat a good long range rifle. They can just do so much.

Top Bottom