Selective Service... is it constitutional???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    On second thought, I will say this.

I work with, and mentor, Civil Air Patrol and Junior ROTC Cadets. Without exception, these fine young men and women have a keen desire to serve their country and they are actively gathering as much knowledge as they can in preparation for their anticipated future military service.

I am proud to help them to the best of my ability.

They are the reason that I feel confidant that our country will always have the people to stand up and do what it takes to defend and protect the Constitution of these United States.

They would hold anyone in disdain that would resist the call for service by our country.

We also have many Junior shooters in Indiana and all the rest of the states that are courted by the various military services at the Nationals at Camp Perry to sign up when they come of age.

Now, I will stop. But it is not easy.

If they really believed in the Constitution and protecting it, then they wouldn't hold anyone in disdain for making a personal choice. Sounds more like Nationalism than defending Liberty.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    so I get home and what do I find in the mailbox???.... !@$#:xmad: a Selective Service letter. personally I dont even know why they send these things out? theres plenty of people going into the military... I mean are we really gonna have another "draft"? ahh, I dont know. they'll probably never call a draft while I'm alive (hopefully) so yeah getting to my question, does anybody know if it says anywhere in the Constitution about drafting or Selective Service? guess I would feel better about it if it was constitutionally correct... anyway I would appreciate some feedback. thanks.
    -TW

If it pisses you off don't sign up. Be a man and stand up for what you believe, if not then sit down and STFU.

Also:
    Making a Choice: Conscientious Objection or Refusing to Register

Nobody has been prosecuted for not signing up for the selective service in over 25 year, and there has only been 1 token instance of 20 individuals, out of millions, who has been threatened by the government for not registering since 1973. This should make it easy for you to "make the right choice"...

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Personally, I think that every man and woman who is physically/mentally capable, should serve at least 1 term. It teaches a young person so much about personal responsibility, character, respect, blindly following orders, propping up the military industrial complex, supporting wars of aggression, false patriotism, irrational hatred of supposed enemies, etc, etc. :twocents:

Red added by Paco.

FTFY. You forgot to add some of the potential negatives.

Conscription = Slavery. I really don't see how someone can say otherwise...

Last edited:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I can't see Congress ever authorizing a draft since it would mean having to send their own kids to war instead of just watching someone else's kids go off to fight. I doubt there are enough members of Congress willing to take that chance.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I can't see Congress ever authorizing a draft since it would mean having to send their own kids to war instead of just watching someone else's kids go off to fight. I doubt there are enough members of Congress willing to take that chance.

They will just have the exemption system like they did during Nam.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    On second thought, I will say this.

I work with, and mentor, Civil Air Patrol and Junior ROTC Cadets. Without exception, these fine young men and women have a keen desire to serve their country and they are actively gathering as much knowledge as they can in preparation for their anticipated future military service.

I am proud to help them to the best of my ability.

They are the reason that I feel confidant that our country will always have the people to stand up and do what it takes to defend and protect the Constitution of these United States.

They would hold anyone in disdain that would resist the call for service by our country.

We also have many Junior shooters in Indiana and all the rest of the states that are courted by the various military services at the Nationals at Camp Perry to sign up when they come of age.

Now, I will stop. But it is not easy.

How could anyone look at the numerous idiotic "wars" we fight and not resist the call for service, after all?

I have every ounce of respect for those who serve willingly in our military, but I have absolutely none for the tools who send those brave souls off to die simply to make a political point. Those same tools would be the ones calling me up for a draft, so I think I'd be more than a little resistant to a nationwide call-to-arms. I could understand the disdain if that draft would only be called up to actually defend the nation from attack, but at this point we'd more likely be sent to another Vietnam, lose tens of thousands of men, then pull out and waste every one of those lost.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Thanks to our all voluntary Armed Forces the country hasnt held a draft in a generation. But if our voluntary Armed Forces need more personel plan B is you. Thats our system...sure no ones been jailed for not filling out the selective service card in a long time...so why worry. Unless you just wanna pull out the burn barrel and dump in a little JP8 and light it and stir the *****. But you can always move to Canada

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago

While not a politician, the former general in charge of the USMC reserves had his son killed in combat about a year ago in Afghanistan.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    FTFY. You forgot to add some of the potential negatives.

Conscription = Slavery. I really don't see how someone can say otherwise...

Hey, while you most assuredly have rights guaranteed by our Constitution--especially the right to be wrong--don't ever, EVER, put words in my mouth pal! If you don't agree with me, again you have the right to say so, but what you do not have the right to do is misquote me or my OPINION.

Your only saving grace here is you used the word "potential" and THAT my friend is determined by the choices made by each individual. Like anything else, military service is a choice, what someone does with the opportunities given is up to them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    How could anyone look at the numerous idiotic "wars" we fight and not resist the call for service, after all?

I have every ounce of respect for those who serve willingly in our military, but I have absolutely none for the tools who send those brave souls off to die simply to make a political point. Those same tools would be the ones calling me up for a draft, so I think I'd be more than a little resistant to a nationwide call-to-arms. I could understand the disdain if that draft would only be called up to actually defend the nation from attack, but at this point we'd more likely be sent to another Vietnam, lose tens of thousands of men, then pull out and waste every one of those lost.

If there ever comes a time to repel invaders, a draft won't be necessary.

The biggest problem will be figuring out how to clothe, feed, and arm all the volunteers.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hey, while you most assuredly have rights guaranteed by our Constitution--especially the right to be wrong--don't ever, EVER, put words in my mouth pal! If you don't agree with me, again you have the right to say so, but what you do not have the right to do is misquote me or my OPINION.

Your only saving grace here is you used the word "potential" and THAT my friend is determined by the choices made by each individual.

What I did was follow the internet-norm method for saying, "hey, I think you're only focusing on the potential positives, here are some of the negatives". It's not a misquote in any way, shape, or form; if you understand internet-norms. For reference, "FTFY" stands for "Fixed That For You".

Like anything else, military service is a choice, what someone does with the opportunities given is up to them.
    (bold added by Paco)

Ah, but isn't that exactly what we're discussing?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Holy moly, sounds like the 60's. While some may not like it, draft registration is the law of the land and has been ruled constitutional. If our country is in peril and you don't want to serve, many of us old farts who have been there and done that, will cover for you.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Holy moly, sounds like the 60's. While some may not like it, draft registration is the law of the land and has been ruled constitutional. If our country is in peril and you don't want to serve, many of us old farts who have been there and done that, will cover for you.

+1 Repped!

So many are willing to live here--as long as their freedom is free...

Ah, but isn't that exactly what we're discussing?

Yes, you have the "freedom" to not voluntarily fill out the card as the LAW requires. That's your CHOICE. Again, you have the right to be wrong.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne

If our country is ever in peril, a draft won't be necessary, as there are plenty of us who would be willing to repel an invasion. The problem is when a draft is used for something like Vietnam...which wasn't even declared a war by Congress. It was blatant slavery.

You don't force your kids to invade your neighbor's garage in order to keep your home safe, do you?

Yes, you have the "freedom" to not voluntarily fill out the card as the LAW requires. That's your CHOICE. Again, you have the right to be wrong.

So, the choice, ultimately, is between being involuntarily enslaved into the armed forces or being involuntarily placed into prison. You have a sick & twisted view of liberty & freedom. Truly disgusting.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks to our all voluntary Armed Forces the country hasnt held a draft in a generation. But if our voluntary Armed Forces need more personel plan B is you. Thats our system...sure no ones been jailed for not filling out the selective service card in a long time...so why worry. Unless you just wanna pull out the burn barrel and dump in a little JP8 and light it and stir the *****. But you can always move to Canada

Canada has had conscription in the past as well (WWI and WWII)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom