• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thanks Guy - sorry for being mostly MIA; life has me on the sidelines right now.
    Great Job - hope to get back to "helping in form and push" shortly.

Kelly gets all the kudo's this session so far! I need to follow up - hopefully soon.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    HB 1284 protects law-abiding citizens from frivolous litigation and devastating liability if they use lawful and justified force in self-defense. We expect this bill to receive a vote on the floor of the Indiana House of Representatives on Monday!!

HB 1643 restores our right to protect ourselves by carrying a gun in churches - even if there is a school on the same property. This bill also eliminates the fee for a new five-year license to carry. This bill has cleared committee and should get a second reading next week.

Please contact your legislators TODAY and urge them to support HB 1284 and HB 1643!! And please share!

https://act.nraila.org/actions/campaigns/5391

Guy

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    To everyone who called or emailed your state senator or members of the senate Judiciary Committee to encourage them to vote in favor of HB 1284, which creates civil immunity for the lawful and justified use of force in self-defense,THANK YOU!!! Yesterday, the committee voted in favor of the bill with a vote of 7-3. The bill now heads to the floor of the Senate for a second reading, and we'll have to fight any proposed amendments that would strip the benefits out of the bill, before it moves to a third reading and full vote in the Senate.

If you'd like to watch the video of the hearing, you can see it at the link below, starting at 1:02:30. I was the first person to testify, followed by my heroic client, Kystie Phillips. I also came back to the podium later to answer questions from the committee members - and as usual I had an interesting exchange with Senator Greg Taylor (D - Indianapolis).

I do have a confession to make, however. In watching the video, I realized that I was using the wrong word in one of my exchanges with Sen. Taylor - I said "burden of persuasion" more than once when I meant to say "burden of production" (which is also known as the "burden of going forward"). I'm not sure Sen. Taylor would have been any less confused had I used the correct terminology - but I definitely used the wrong word a couple times.

Archives - Indiana General Assembly, 2019 Session

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I missed the theatrics - but I read that you did a good job of not going over the table ... even though you nailed him over the top!! ... Senator Obtuse was in top form from the sounds of it. ...

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Heard back from Sen Bohacek:

Thank you for your letter expressing your opinion on House Bill 1284, self-defense and the defense of others.
    Currently, HB 1284 has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Judiciary, on which I serve, and is awaiting a hearing on the Senate Floor. I want you to know I understand your position and fully support it. Not only did I vote in support of the bill during Committee, but I am also a sponsor on the bill.
    In the future, if you wish to stay up to date of HB 1284 and other bills as they move through the legislative process, please visit the Indiana General Assembly’s website at [url]https://iga.in.gov/ [/URL] or feel free to contact my office. Again, thank you for contacting me and expressing your opinion. I will keep it in mind when this legislation comes before the Senate.

Sincerely,

Mike Bohacek
    State Senator
    Indiana State Senate

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    This is just another reason I left that awful state of IL, they only want the criminals to have the right to defend themselves. I hope I'm never in a situation where I need to worry about this subject but IMO this bill is only common sense. I've been reading about this and thanks for posting.

IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I know everybody wants Constitutional Carry (and I do to), but to me.. this bill addresses a far more critical issue given our
    extremely litigious society. It more or less sailed through the House, and appears headed in that direction in the Senate.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

allthumbs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2019
    NW, IN
    Top Bottom