• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    From FB

https://www.facebook.com/The2AProje...z3gEkgwInoQfUsvuszxq7rG_v0_OjXqE&__tn__=<,P-R

The 2A Project

star_filled_24_fds-gray-70.png
    Favorites · ·

Indiana has the strongest self-defense immunity law in the country, which I wrote and Rep. Jim Lucas introduced and championed in the Indiana General Assembly in 2019, along with great support and leadership from Rep. Ben Smaltz, Rep. Jerry Torr, Rep. Peggy Mayfield and several others. This statute was inspired by the experience of my client, Kystie Phillips, who heroically saved the life of a police officer with fully justified deadly force, but was then sued by the perpetrator's family in a wrongful death lawsuit.
    Yesterday, in the Marion County Superior Court, we won summary judgment in a case in which my clients were sued after a person tried to break into their home in the middle of the night and the husband responded with fully justified deadly force.
    The judge not only dismissed the lawsuit but ordered the plaintiffs to reimburse my clients their attorneys' fees, as required by our new law.
    I told Kystie when she hired me that we were not only going to win her case but we were going to change Indiana law for the better. I'd say that turned out to be true (and my client's in this case would certainly agree.)
    If you're interested in this area of the law, the judges memorandum opinion is worth a read.

1695956448388.png

1695956461958.png

1695956485633.png

1695956509269.png

1695956522895.png

1695956538490.png

tackdriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Thank you for posting the above. It is one thing to know what the law says. It's a COMPLETELY different thing to know that the law is followed by the courts!

The one thing that would've made this outcome better, would be if the attorneys for the plaintiff were required to help with the payment (something like 28 US Code 1927). Dear Cindy should have been shown the law, then politely shown the door. Maybe this case will become the precedent to model such behavior in the future.

Thanks again for passing this on, and thanks to everyone that made Indiana law clear on this subject!!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    From FB

https://www.facebook.com/The2AProject?__cft__[0]=AZUpXuz2zv_tx9SkZ1-do3P0ehDUZptA2MPnq26IAF5sS-KSjS-vUDNz2r7TEije_x-W63vpRfCnckmNlnzf2AQpPfMjEhCKxuc8cQX44fG5P3jHNMNPOa8Lw9CVjEWSl5209w9VVf7CyIASSk7PRDoJ0Tj7hwruPIjz3gEkgwInoQfUsvuszxq7rG_v0_OjXqE&__tn__=<,P-R

The 2A Project

star_filled_24_fds-gray-70.png
    Favorites · ·

Indiana has the strongest self-defense immunity law in the country, which I wrote and Rep. Jim Lucas introduced and championed in the Indiana General Assembly in 2019, along with great support and leadership from Rep. Ben Smaltz, Rep. Jerry Torr, Rep. Peggy Mayfield and several others. This statute was inspired by the experience of my client, Kystie Phillips, who heroically saved the life of a police officer with fully justified deadly force, but was then sued by the perpetrator's family in a wrongful death lawsuit.
    Yesterday, in the Marion County Superior Court, we won summary judgment in a case in which my clients were sued after a person tried to break into their home in the middle of the night and the husband responded with fully justified deadly force.
    The judge not only dismissed the lawsuit but ordered the plaintiffs to reimburse my clients their attorneys' fees, as required by our new law.
    I told Kystie when she hired me that we were not only going to win her case but we were going to change Indiana law for the better. I'd say that turned out to be true (and my client's in this case would certainly agree.)
    If you're interested in this area of the law, the judges memorandum opinion is worth a read.

View attachment 302297

View attachment 302298

View attachment 302299

View attachment 302300

View attachment 302301

View attachment 302302
    FAFO

Indiana has the best self-defense laws in the country.

Top Bottom