• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twinsen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2016
    Indiana
    1911's actually don't fit my hand very well. Most single stack handguns don't. It's a shame too, considering how dead sexy they are. My wife loves 1911's though so we still have one.

They make 1911 grips for people with large hands. So not owning one is no excuse now.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I've been on the fence when it comes to the idea of buying a 1911. Sell me on the idea of why I should consider buying one.

If you've read any of my posts on 1911's you'll know I'm not a fanboy of any sort unless it's a Glock .

That said , about a month ago I bought a Kimber from a Fisher's cop and have been very happy with it .

It feels good in my hand , is a natural pointer and shoots better than I can .

It is however pretty much a range / HD gun as it is a full size , 2 lb gun that I'm not interested in being a daily carrier .

It's more complicated and more of a pain in the ass to field strip and clean than my Glocks .

However one of the advantages it has over a Glock is that it makes an excellent field expedient club should you run out of ammo .

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    1. Crisp, repeatable trigger action.
    2. .45 ACP caliber
    3. Controllable recoil
    4. Manual safety, both thumb and grip
    5. Somewhat slim profile vs. double stack pistols

Did I say .45 ACP caliber? Sure, the manual of arms is a bit different than others, however, once learned it is second nature like all other familiar firearms. A .45 does not have to grow up to be something else. Our country did not use them for 70 odd years just because they looked intimidating. They worked. If one takes reasonable care of their equipment, they function with a high degree of reliability, which in the end, is the most desirable trait of any firearm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you've read any of my posts on 1911's you'll know I'm not a fanboy of any sort unless it's a Glock .

That said , about a month ago I bought a Kimber from a Fisher's cop and have been very happy with it .

It feels good in my hand , is a natural pointer and shoots better than I can .

It is however pretty much a range / HD gun as it is a full size , 2 lb gun that I'm not interested in being a daily carrier .

It's more complicated and more of a pain in the ass to field strip and clean than my Glocks .

However one of the advantages it has over a Glock is that it makes an excellent field expedient club should you run out of ammo .

I have preached the alternate use of a well made 1911 as a Bludgeon should the need arise for like.....well...."Ever"

I can not naturally point up most Glocks. Just a weird grip angle and ergonomics. Had I ran this platform half as long as I have the 1911 I am sure it would be second nature/muscle memory for me but they are just a pain in the butt to shoot.

This and Glocks hate me. They do.

Last edited:

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    I personally don't like them. They are usually heavy and don't hold many rounds. They are also notoriously finicky with self defense ammo and magazines. You would think a $1K+ gun wouldn't need additional "work" done to it to get it functional.

The pluses are it is 45 cal and slim.

Top Bottom